SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given that my current NZ Canam proxy car is a bit of a dog and running at the wrong end of the field I thought I'd better build something better and quicker for next years event. Jack Brabham drove the Ford G7A in a couple of CanAm races in 1969.

So starting with a couple of photo's and a block of MDF it went from this

to this

to this

to this

to this

to this. Have to finish the cockpit and add a bit of detail. It has a slot.it GT40 running gear and absolutley flies. Hope you like it.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Not my kind of car at all but really exceptional body build.

It almost inspires me to try to construct a body myself. Maybe one of the early '80's f1's as they were often quite boxy and so lend themselves to that type of flat sheet construction. I'm not a resin man you see!

Fabulous

Andi

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you gents, appreciate your comments.

Graham, Not quite as curvy as those lovely Astons of yours but I am really happy with how it is turning out.

QUOTE (Boomerang @ 15 Aug 2011, 19:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just one question so far : how did you get the right dimensions?

The real car was built on a Ford GT MK IV chassis so I got a side on photo of the car and rescaled it to the right size and went from there.

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi very nice model
but wasn,t the G7a the one with the double dihedral rear wing ,or am I thinking about something else

cheers tony

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (superhornets @ 15 Aug 2011, 20:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi very nice model
but wasn,t the G7a the one with the double dihedral rear wing ,or am I thinking about something else

cheers tony

The car you are thinking of is this one. Also referred to as G7A.

http://www.sportscars.tv/Newfiles/canamcars67.html

The car I have done is the 1969 car built by the Agapiou Brothers.

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi
so was the 69 version a modified version of the unsuccesful 67 car ,or a completely new car
It seemed the basic problem with the car was its weight ,ford didn,t seem to understand that the requirements for long didtance racing were different from the can am sprint racing

Cheers tony

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Beautiful job! Congratulations. I always wanted to do that one too. There's still the Ford Open Sports car to do- lots of Ford CanAm failures in fact. I love 'em. Strangely overlooked by the slot car manufacturers.

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Beautiful work, Stubbo! Did you make your own decals? They look very good!

Tony, the dihedral wing 1967 Ford G7A - the "Calliope", as it was called - was built on a spare Ford Mk.IV chassis, but never saw the light of day. It appeared on all the magazine covers, but never on the starting grid! Ford sold the chassis, plus a spare, for $1.00 to Charlie and Kerry Agapiou, who had been running a Lola for George Follmer. The Agapiou's modified the car extensively. It's best result was second in the Can-Am's venture to Fuji in Japan in 1969, with John Cannon driving. It unfortunately was heavily damaged in an accident at Riverside in 1970.

These were the car's results in the 1969 and 1970 Can-Am series:-

Mosport Can-Am - Jun. 1969
DNF P.Revson
St. Jovite Can-Am - Jun. 1969
DNS P.Revson
Edmonton Can-Am - Jul. 1969
DNF J.Cannon
Elkhart Lake Can-Am - Aug. 1969
DNF G.Follmer
Michigan Can-Am - Sep. 1969
DNF J.Brabham
Riverside Can-Am - Oct. 1969
DNF Campbell
Texas Can-Am - Nov. 1969
DNF J.Cannon
Mt. Fuji - Nov. 1969
2 J.Cannon
Watkins Glen Can-Am - Jul. 1970
DNF J.Cannon
Edmonton Can-Am - Jul. 1970
DNF D.Hobbs
Elkhart Lake Can-Am - Aug. 1970
DNF J.Cannon
Elkhart Lake Can-Am - Sep. 1970
DNF L.R.Yarbrough
Donnybrooke Can-Am - Sep. 1970
DNS V.Elford
Laguna Seca Can-Am - Oct. 1970
DNF J.Cannon
Riverside Can-Am - Nov. 1970
DNF J.Cannon

Howmet, time to start 'whittling away'. Here are the 1/32nd scale dimensions, which are pretty decent:-

WIDTH 63 mm
LENGTH 140.2 mm
WB 84 mm
F O/HANG 35 mm measured from frontwheel centre
R O/HANG 21.6 mm measured from rear wheel centre
F HEIGHT 22 mm
R HEIGHT 27 mm

This 1/32nd scale styrene body was made for me by the late Derek Thesnaar:-

With kind regards,

Russell

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi russel
thanks for the history lesson ,not the most succesful car then ,I had no idea that the dihedral wing one had never raced
It looks very mclaren like ,seems to me it would be possible with bit of body putty and an M8b to make a reaonable likeness of this car

Cheers tony

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
It looks beautiful where-ever I see it Alan, it is going to take some beating in Concours.
With a little more dimension on your side, should be a force next year......sigh... next year..... I am still working through this year, cars due here today with 3 rounds to run in our region - the final round will be live on Internet TV at the new Oakland V2 circuit.

Russell - thanks for the history. - I have been fortunate enough to inherit your "J.V." with Beejay - I now have his X1......... Alan - see, I do own a Ford....

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
That is simply beautiful! What a great job!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Russell,

As I understand the G7A was built on a MKIV chassis. (J-10 I believe). I used the scaled MKIV wheelbase of 75mm as a starting point. The dimensions you mention are quite different. Where did you find those measurements?

and yes I did make the decals.

Joel,
Still working on the interior.

Howmet,
Open Sports Ford? Yes please.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts