SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I´m searching for photos at following GT40´s that have competed in Le Mans and Daytona 24 hours:

Le Mans:

1966 #12 F.R. English Ltd / Comstock Racing Team, GB
Ford GT40 Innes Ireland & Jochen Rindt

1966 #14 Scuderia Filipinetti, CH
(Comstock Racing /F.R. English)
Ford GT40 Peter Sutcliffe & Dieter Spoerry

1966 #15 Ford France SA, F
Ford GT40 Guy Ligier & Bob Grossman

Daytona:

The cars that finished second and fifth in Daytona 24 hours 1966

Kind regards // Richard

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thought it might have some links to help you find the info you are after, I didn't really look into the site in a lot of detail.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Gary! I have tried this site before... but this time I found one of the cars. No good racing pictures, but good pictures of the restored Ford France car.

Cheers

·
Registered
69 Posts
Richard, as you can imagine the GT40 is close to my heart! I've been disappointed myself over the years trying to find decent shots of the car on the internet, that in the end I gave up. They were either of somebodies kitcar replica or copywrited by someone or other. No the best way find out about this fabulous machine is in books. I now have quite a collection but the best by a long way is "The FORD that beat Ferrari" by Gordon Jones & John Allen. It was first published in 1985 in the UK by Kimberleys and distributed in the US by Motorbooks international.

Do yourself the favour of the year and somehow get this book, hardly a day goes by when I don't pick it up, you wont be disappointed.

GT

·
Registered
69 Posts
GT40 An Individual History and Race Record by Ronnie Spain has recently been rereleased in Hard and paperback versions and is a good reference work. But you really must track down a copy of the Jones/Allen book secondhand somewhere, dont wait for next year, its 464 pages are crammed with period pictures, many in colour along with useful captions.

Good Luck, GT

·
Registered
316 Posts
Do you mind if I ask why your looking? General interest or looking for paint schemes for some possible cars your painting?

Have you found all you need?

Cheers
CoolS

·
Registered
733 Posts
CoolScientist: Both reasons... but first of all because I´m going to paint my plain Scalextric GT40 MkII. I have found a few pictures of the Le Mans cars... but I´m still searching for more, especially of the cars that finished second and fifth in Daytona 24 hours.

GT40: I think I have to wait for the rerelease. The Jones/Allen book seems to expensive for me right now.

Kind regards // Richard

·
Registered
733 Posts
CoolS: Ahh... thanks a lot! Yes, racing shots are hard to find... especially from Daytona 24 hours!

The only car I haven´t seen a picture of at all is the car that placed fifth i Daytona 1966...

Cheers!

·
Registered
316 Posts
A little bit of searchin gets some nice pics.....
Some nice quality pics
QUOTE (Rokkoko666 @ 14 Oct 2004, 11:42)CoolS: Ahh... thanks a lot! Yes, racing shots are hard to find... especially from Daytona 24 hours!

The only car I haven´t seen a picture of att all is the car that placed fifth i Daytona 1966...

Cheers!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats it then - tonights mission - Im gonna find a pic for ya....
CoolS

[/B]"EDIT"
Proving to be quite difficult, this partner ship of drivers, Bruce Mclaren and Chris Amos, seemingly won Lemans, and finished 5th in Daytona. The Lemans win, over shadowing there 5th place at Daytona - I cant find a pic of the 96 car - but can find loads of the 2 car at Lemans. O well - its really intersting reading... lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Richard, ref the '66 Daytona MkII's, I hope these are of some help? The first Pic is of the 2nd placed car of Gurney and Grant.

The car that came 5th was no 96 driven by McLaren/Amon.

This car did not have any identifcation patch on its nose and was left in plain white (infront of the spare wheel cover). The last pic is of the winning car of Miles and Ruby, note none of these cars had yet been fitted with the 2 rear cover air scoops at this time.

GT

·
Registered
480 Posts
Blimey! next, GT you will be telling us at what time they did the driver swaps!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Richard,
I have about 3 pics I think of the 1966 #12 - and maybe some of the 1966 #14

My father was a mechanic on the Ford team and worked on both those cars during the 1966 race.

The #14 Filipinetti car was at the Le Mans Classic two years ago - I probably have some pics of it there as well.

I'd be interested to know which pics you have of these cars too - fancy a swap?

James

1 - 20 of 45 Posts