SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a lot of John Bacon bodies (from Schackel - thanks Roland!!!!) , and one that stood out for me was the Ford J.

Looking at the body and looking at a few I had already, it became apparent to me that this body must have been cast early in the moulds' life as it is rather good

Have spent a few days looking for pics of the car - not the flat nose version ala Strombecker, but the more pointy version (will take pics and post)> I have now completely cleaned out the vents, screens and rear valance but not sure whether it carried visible lights or they were covered - so looking for any pics please

If anyone interested will take and post progress pics ....

·
Mike Newns
629 Posts
From memory this car only appeared publicly at the Le Mans test so there are very few pictures of it - It would at the Le Mans test have clear lights. A second chassis was built to Can-Am specs (I'm not sure how different this body was as I've never seen a photo) this car crashed killing Ken Miles. New bodywork was designed and the car became the GT40 MKIV - I think 4 chassis were built in all.

Yes we would like to see the build up.

Mike

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL

So if I build this for Bordo - I can paint it any colours I like

hehehehe

·
Kitbasher
4,250 Posts
Can you run it at Bordo if it did not compete at le mans?

The 'J' never raced at all.....

I would check with Don (DGERSH) before doing a lot of work.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Three different versions of the "J" car here, all test driven by Ken Miles until it finally got him...
And yes, clearly visible lights on the "pointy" version.

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chapman -Thanks so much!!! really appreciated - it is the 3rd and 4th pics I was after.....

Pete - if it participated in the trials as it did - then it competed - good enough for me

·
Kitbasher
4,250 Posts
QUOTE if it participated in the trials as it did - then it competed - good enough for me

And good enough for me but is it good enough for Sam And Don?

·
Phil Smith
2,622 Posts
QUOTE Can you run it at Bordo if it did not compete at le mans?
The 'J' never raced at all.....

People have used these at earlier Bordeaux events with no problem, although it did not race on race day it did take part in the April test session so I think Samy thinks these are ok, and anything else that only ran in the test sessions I guess. (i had thoughts of a couple of things this year)

·
Kitbasher
4,250 Posts
Interesting, there are various bits of American muscle that never made it beyond the official test...

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Yes, cars that ran in the test days are also allowed. After all, how can you refuse a "J"?

I'm sure some wise guy is going to enter the Lotus 23 that was banned and got Colin Chapman mad at Le Mans for life; in fact, I would myself if I didn't already have a project...

The "phantom" cars that were entered but never ran at all are another story; fortunately I don't think we've ever had to deal with this... and no Phil, that's not a challenge to try us out...

Don

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alan - you are here - good to see you bud!!!!!!

I was just stirring actually - might bring it if it turns out ok

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Funnily enough Anthony I am just finishing a 1/24th scale Ford J on a Cox chassis. For the record it wasn't just Miles who drove the car at the Le Mans test weekend, all the Ford contracted drivers had a go.

David

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Superb work as usual David! What model is that? I have a 1/24th kit as well but of the Round nose version - cannot at the moment remember the manufacturer - but will look when I get home....

Alan - meant to say - great work on the car as well !

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
It is the MPC kit with the clear moulded body which you could paint one side of the central stripe and not the other, maybe I should have done that to show the Cox chassis and motor...

David

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Well someone has to keep an eye on you guys.....MacP and my self are still around.....

Still building the odd car to order, but much prefer the boats....

My latest Phil....a 50's MTB "Dark Biter". Interesting colour scheme...they did have lightgrey/white hulls when built but their diesel engines discoloured them so much they went to this half and half scheme, eventually all black. Just to note this has twin motors even one of which is almost as big as a 1/32nd Jcar....
Latest technology Brushless motors....When will they appear in Slot cars I wonder....Very efficient.

Back to the Jcar.....Whay are you building a 1/24th David?....very unusual for you.

Sorry for the off topic Anthony.

Regards

Alan

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Lovely boat Alan not that I know anything about them other than Donald Campbell's K7 and John Cobb's Crusader, now there is a scratchbuild project...

We have quite an active vintage 1/32 and 1/24 slot car scene at the Southend Slot Racing Club so the Ford J is for that.

David

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Well just to add to the confusion the lobster nosed J car had a detachable nose. There were 12 J chassis. The last two J-11 and J-12 being built into what companies like NSR and MRRC describe as presentation. When in fact Brian Angless he of Autokraft MKV Cobra fame and Brian Winfield built in the mid 1980's (White with Blue centre and Le mans stripes).
Off the top of my head so someone may correct me J-4 MKIV was a remodelled J car.
Then fresh MKIVs were built.
J-1 J car 1966 test car called GTPJ White body semi Matt Blue bonnet
J-2 J car Can Am spec (built for the Can Am) Ken Miles died testing Riverside 1967 similar colour scheme to J-1
J-3 J car MKIV test Le Mans test day 1967 had tail fins Yellow body Black stripes wider than J-4 similar to J-5
J-4 J car/MKIV 1967 Sebring winner first J car to be remodelled to a MKIV Yellow body narrow Black stripes
J-5 MKIV No 1 Shelby Le Mans winner Red body White stripes Le Mans colour scheme
J-6 MKIV No 2 Shelby 4th Le Mans Yellow body Black stripes Le Mans colour scheme
J-7 MKIV No 3 Holman and Moody Bronze with White stripes Le Mans colour scheme
J-8 MKIV No 4 Holman and Moody Dark Blue with White stripes
J-9 Can Am G7A (group 7) White body dehedrel wing
J-10 Can Am G7A (group 7) White body
J-11 MKIV built mid 1980's White body Blue stripes Le Mans colour scheme known as 'Presentation' MKIV by NSR and MRRC
J-12 MKIV built mid 1980's Made up to look like No 1 1967 Le Mans winner (as J-5) known as 'Presentation' MKIV by NSR and MRRC
I hope this list helps
Regards Allan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts