SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Kit conversion virgin here again.

Latest Ebay purchase arrived today Airfix Ford Tractor and 40' Ferrari transporter ref 16401-4

I had never seen one of these before i spotted the thing on Italian Ebay.

I plan (along with the 15 of so other kits i have recently bought - i blame Swiss/Mr M) to turn it into a slot car.

Just looking at the build instructions in the kit, it says this is the non motorised version? does any one know if they ever issued the motorised and if they did any other transporters.

Anyone motorised this kit - seems pretty straight forward.

Any info help appreciated.

Gareth

·
Registered
57 Posts
QUOTE (JEXY1 @ 11 Oct 2004, 12:09)Hi All

Kit conversion virgin here again.

Latest Ebay purchase arrived today Airfix Ford Tractor and 40' Ferrari transporter ref 16401-4

I had never seen one of these before i spotted the thing on Italian Ebay.

I plan (along with the 15 of so other kits i have recently bought - i blame Swiss/Mr M) to turn it into a slot car.

Just looking at the build instructions in the kit, it says this is the non motorised version? does any one know if they ever issued the motorised and if they did any other transporters.

Anyone motorised this kit - seems pretty straight forward.

Any info help appreciated.

Gareth
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

·
Registered
57 Posts
[Hopefully I will get the reply right this time!!]

The Airfix kit was a one off from the moulds of a Japanese Co (Entex I think). The Airfix version did not have a motor, but I believe that the Japanese co followed the usual far east idea of putting in a small motor, drive system, & batteries.

Other models were also made, I remember a Ford Tyrrell truck (not an articulated one) and also a Porsche Martini Transporter.

Also, to be picky, Shouldn't the tractor unit be a FIAT rather than a Ford?

Geoff

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi 4 Wheel Drift

Thanks for the info.

Your right the space for the motor, batteries etc, etc, is all still there and the axles etc all look spot on for conversion even the tray has a hole/space for the gearing to drop through.

Interested in the original models from the Jap company (more to convert perhaps!?).

The tractor unit Fiat? well i can see why, but it is a Ford unit - moulded on the cab! That said they may have just done it to sell more models - don't know if Ferrari ever used this actual tractor/trailer combo - cue someone with loads of 60's/70's GP pics - Russel!

I doubt i will get round to building this before the new year, but i will pop on some pics of the final results.

Gareth

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
just shove an already slot tractor unit on it
there are three ways to do this,
the right way: spend hours and hours building the tractor unit beatifully
the wrong way: stick a ready slotted tractor unit under it
and the minimental way: spend hours tying to convert the tractor unit, get fed up with it, and shove the ready slotted base underneath it! (the wrong way but slower)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I believe back in the 70's, teams did not ship their transporters as well as their cars to the far off Grand Prix's. As the the tractor unit is US built Ford it could well have been used to haul the Ferrari team cars to any of the North or South American race's of that era.

GT

·
Registered
76 Posts
QUOTE I believe back in the 70's, teams did not ship their transporters as well as their cars to the far off Grand Prix's.

They still don't, not to Australia at least. I have a used/built model of the rigid model in transit. I'm not building a slot car out of it though. That would be like Ferrari building a transporter truck that isn't road legal. Instead, I'm converting it to R/C so it can actually carry cars to the track.

So far I've got two R/C car haulers (New Ray diecast based), and alternatively, cars can also arrive by rail or air, there's a landing craft project coming up for rounds only accessible by sea

The current project is a bus to carry passengers to the track, now I need to bash/paint about 26 passengers...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Fabulous stuff, I love it all! Good practical thinking on the RC for trucks. I am looking forwards to seeing your 1/32 scale RC transporter plane!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts