SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So I decided to make a ford zephyr for my dad as it was his first car that he owned back in the day. I ordered the 3d printed body some time ago from pendle slot racing. Dad did start painting it but lost interest as his eyes aren't the best and mine arent much better. The chassis is a slot.it HRS with a 18k predator long can motor in and inline configuration. Added a few extra magnets up the front to make it hold to the track a bit better. Think the wheels I used are slot.it 15.3 rings a bell. Ally on the rear and plastic on the front. Fitted a slot.it digital SSD chip to make it work on our scalextric digital arc pro track. I used a green raw plug and just hot glued it onto the body. Found a little spring type thing in my kit and screwed it to the front post that was already there on the body. Added some heatshrink so it would not short out the chip. It hooks under the front axel.

I still need to paint it salmon pink and move the front wheels back slightly and hot glue the chip in. I will also glue in some wheel hub inserts that I have. I will do some other tweaks to it but its getting there.

Its no speed demon but hopefully dad will get a kick out of it and bring back allot of great memories he had driving in his original zephyr and hopefully more stories will come back from his memories that he can share with me.

Slot cars are bringing us closer together with every race we have. Its just taking all my money atm but its keeping me out of trouble lols whoops.

Let me know how you think I might be able to improve it.

Thanks guys

·
ParrotGod
11,501 Posts
The HRS chassis should come with parts that you can attach to the sides of the car body: these parts have pegs that go inside those round sockets in the sides of the chassis.
This should help with lowering the stance of the car.
If you bought this body from Pendle it might be the case that it has body mounts to fit the PSR adjustable chassis: these are quite good.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The HRS chassis should come with parts that you can attach to the sides of the car body: these parts have pegs that go inside those round sockets in the sides of the chassis.
This should help with lowering the stance of the car.
If you bought this body from Pendle it might be the case that it has body mounts to fit the PSR adjustable chassis: these are quite good.
Yeah it did but I couldn't work it out for the life of me and couldn't find any pics on the net ether

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have a look here, check out the pictures but I don't know how you would fit the chip.
yeah tried that pcs 32 chassis on another isuzu bellett build and yes I was able to mount the chip but the car ran like **** around the track. Check my other posts and you will find the info and posts about it. I still have that chassis here but its heavily modified now and used the motor for something else but I do have about 6 or 7 stock scalextric motors I could use

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Those full adjustable side mounting brackets don't come with the chassis, they are optional extra for the HRS2. You get two different side mounts with the HRS2 but they both work the same way. If the body sides are parallel with the chassis edge the best option are the bars with three pins, you need to cut the pins down so the chassis centred in the body and the body is very slightly stretched in width. If the body sides are tapered you will need to use the separate pins, again cut to slightly stretch the body if possible. You just push them in to the chassis and then glue to the body sides. A drop of super glue to hold in place then epoxy is probably best. If the resin body this quite thick and inflexible then you will have to use body posts as you need flex in the body to mount and remove the chassis.

·
Jim Moyes
5,259 Posts
I actually thought the stance was a deliberate nod to the hi-rider street/drag cars of several decades past.
Yes Pat, the first thought that entered my head when I saw the pic was Henry Hirise which was on my bedroom wall as a teenager.

Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car Wheel

Reactions: PatB and Stalyoni78

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Flicked some paint on it this arvo. Used this Tamiya pink with a smidge of that Tamiya tan. It's meant to be a salmon pink colour as that's what dad's car colour was. It's changing colour as it dries and I did three coats. So I'll see how it turns out. I masked up the white dad had already painted with maskol. I won't touch up the white as he did that and it's his car. It's not meant to be perfect but more of a love project to bring back old memories and have a bit of banter on track. ;)

I moved the front wheels slightly back towards the back wheels. I will take off a small amount on the front internal body post with very sharp side cutters which will lower the front wheels. Hopefully it will go a bit better. Just gotta wait for it to dry now.

·
ParrotGod
11,501 Posts
yeah tried that pcs 32 chassis on another isuzu bellett build and yes I was able to mount the chip but the car ran like **** around the track. Check my other posts and you will find the info and posts about it. I still have that chassis here but its heavily modified now and used the motor for something else but I do have about 6 or 7 stock scalextric motors I could use
That is because you are still used to run cars with lots of magnets.
Once you get rid of the magnets and start using the grip generated by the tyres you will find that even the stock PSR chassis is quite good.
And definitely you want to use a motor that is not too powerful.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh well we are all about fun for now so the magnets will stay. Its only dad and I so we dont have anyone else to race or impress so its all good. I think i like the tinkering aspect of it more then running the cars although I do have all my cars running very well now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Dried pretty pink but dad says it's close enough. I'll leave it till this arvo till I peel off the maskol I put over the white and I'll snip a bit off the front internal body post and see how she goes then.

·
ParrotGod
11,501 Posts
oh well we are all about fun for now so the magnets will stay. Its only dad and I so we dont have anyone else to race or impress so its all good. I think i like the tinkering aspect of it more then running the cars although I do have all my cars running very well now.
I do not think that you are impressing anyone by running magless ;-)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
whats the stigma with the slot game if you run mags or not? Who the flying phuck cares, like seriously? Isnt it all about the fun? Like I said its dad and I ONLY race in the comfort of our own home. We arent club races like most of you guys are. We are NEWBS who love to run mags. In fact one of our cars has 5 mags in it. There our cars and we will run mags if we want. The world is not going to end if we do trust me lols, FFS. Anyways rant over.....

it dried very very pink but meh. Dad said close enough. I will let the paint cure before pulling off the maskol as its been raining here all morning. I snipped the front internal body post to lower the front wheels a bit. Could prolly go a bit lower but it will do for now. Its actually allot of fun to drive now and you can get it to slide around the corners. I ran a 8.4 sec lap and the lap record with my lambo is 4.8 so shes no speed demon but goes fine and is allot of fun to drive.

Dad and I actually had a proper race this morning with several cars. I plugged my samsung note 10 into a hub and connected it via HDMI to dads 65 inch samsung TV. Used my sony bluetooth speaker as the sound. Ran about 5 or 6 25 laps without issues. Using smart things and doing it wirelessly we would always run into issues with ether lag or the sound crapping out. But the setup we used this morning worked flawlessly.

Anyways ill flick up some pics of once I take off the maskol and reveal the white roof and stripes down the sides.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Magnets are there to help new drivers hone there skills to the stage of not having magnets true old school slot car racing . It's got to a stage with time that some race with magnets as a class if the track allows.
Cheers,
John.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts