SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you already know, my old track was demolished a few weeks ago but I've been planning a replacement for some time. I had some ideas for features I wanted to include in a new track but it all had to fit into a smaller footprint - I need more space in the garage because all my stuff has had to move from what will be the baby's room.

After lots of scribbles and sketches I had some idea for what I wanted so I bought the wood (pressure treated 12mm MDF) and drew the layout on it. Having it laid out 'full size' helps me envisage things like sight lines and how things will fit together - something I sometimes find hard to do when working from a paper plan.

A few tweaks and revisions later it was ready to rout -

tape, power and elevations came next -

and finally some paint.

Start/finish straight

track climbs about 12 inches to the back corner

back straight is about 12', dips about 2"

lanes sweep together before the hairpin

top hairpin

The corkscrew! I wanted to try a Laguna Seca style corkscrew. It's not perfect but it is fun!

The track drops 9-10 inches here

a short straight and then uphill into the next corner

the entrance is tight but the cars gain speed through the corner - it's banked and opens out

elevation/banking

then the cars have to scrub off speed for the final corner

and that's about it so far. One final overview shot - as you can see, there's lots left to do!

The track's probably had 10-12 hours use so far - family and friends visiting and my kids wanting to play. It's worked straight 'out of the box' with drivers from 5 to 65!! A few nudges and bumps at the squeezes but so far everyone has adapted to it quickly, even when the competition has got a little heated!

I've wittered on enough for now so I'll just say "I'm really pleased with it!"

cheers,

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
I had the pleasure of having a couple of hours on the track last week and I had an absolute blast racing Rob. Rob, you've built (building) another fine track and a worthy successor to Forester's Dream 2.

·
Gary Skipp
6,658 Posts
AHA! You've grown a lane! This looks like a great circuit, and more natural than the previous layout. The corkscrew looks terrific, so does the banking. Are you going for Laguna scenery or sticking with english greenery? It'll be good fun watching this track develope, for sure. Trouble is, we all have high expectations after the last one!

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
I love the new track Rob! The layout and elevation changes look like a lot of fun to drive. You tracks just keep getting better with each version. Thanks for the update and for another fantastic track build to follow.

Brad

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
Awesome Rob! I love the corkscrew (have seen many race cars descend it when I lived in California) and want to incorporate a similar one into my planned routed circuit. I'll be watching the development of your circuit closely. You do great work. I also appreciate the many reviews you contribute to the forum and your personal website is the bomb!

Merry Christmas!

Steve

·
Alan Tadd
4,048 Posts
Looks a great driving track Rob, and I love the "corkscrew". Luf would be proud of you.

It really is time I either rebuilt mine or extended it........You've got me thinking now.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
390 Posts
I am with Luf. I did a squeeze on every corner of my track as I have yet to see a pass in real racing that wasn't set up either before the corner or on exit. I am sure Rob was aiming to have the track resemble a real race instead of 3 cars in 3 lanes side by side.

Great work Rob.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Wow looks great already! Sad to see the old track gone, I enjoyed looking at that one on your website, but still, im sure I will like following this one even more

Cheers
AM

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I'm glad I found this Rob!
Looks great already! What's the footprint?

I am trying to design a new track at the moment in a space roughly 1.2m x 5.4m with a little wider either end. I know what you mean about the paper plan issue.

Yes, you do have a few squeezes there, I wonder how often you have other racers on your track... did you design it to drive mostly on your own or could you really have a 'Race Meet' on it?

What's a lap time? (don't see any timing equip)

Can't wait to see the scenery evolve.
This track is already a favourite!

Cheers mate, and Merry Xmas!

Dick

·
Registered
551 Posts
Fantastic Rob! Very impressive to see how fast you got this track up and running!

I love the layout, it seems to be a good mix of quick and technical sections and the corkscrew part looks superb.

Also glad to see you went for 3 lanes this time. I just feel it seems to be the ideal number for a home routed track. 4 lanes make it seem too wide for visual appeal to me, and I feel having 3 lanes instead of 2 is another reason to go for a wood track over plastic.

Really looking forward to seeing this track evolve like it's predecessor!

·
Ian
99 Posts
For Sale One Scalextric Sport Digital Track

Well done Rob! I think seeing the way you have put that together would make anyone want to have a go at doing it, even me! Superb, I want one just like it, if only I had somewhere to put it……..

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.