SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 623 Posts

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who have been around the forum for a while will know that I've been faffing about trying to get a track built for absolutely ages
(My first post on track building was 1st November 2004!!)

First there was my loft track

Then there was the first garage track

followed by the first incarnation of Forester's Dream

The track got badly warped in the recent warm weather, so I started thinking about a routed track. My tiny test track was my first attempt with the router, it's gone down a storm with my daughters!

After that, well, I just had to have a go at a big routed track, didn't I? It's not finished yet, but here's the progress to date:

starting points

making progress

latest pics

still loads more that I want to do, but it's coming on nicely and it's great fun to drive. Hope you like it! (Especially Zipp and Beejay!!
)

cheers,

Rob

PS: There will be more (and bigger) pics on my site later this week.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It looks great. I like the 2 level.

I am new on the forum and with this hobby. I am still on a standard track but I saw that a lot of you guys are switching to home routed track. Maybe that is my destiny...

·
Ian
99 Posts
Well done Rob,
it's looking great. This bit you are doing now I find the most fun creating a picture and your doing it in your normal impeccable manor. I like the way you have curved the barriers,( tip taken on board
) I like the last photo best, but I can see something that you need to add>>> That white wall needs a backdrop on it, sure you have one planned
It's looking really nice.

Ian

·
Alan Tadd
4,047 Posts
Superb Rob.....

I think switching to wood is something you will never regret, and it is amazing how much traction will increase as the track gets "rubbered in".

I have found that standard Fly Classic tyres, (As fitted to Porsche 917's/ 908's/Ferrari 512's), work very well once trued, but the more modern Fly tyres, such as fitted to the BMW M1 and Porsche 906, don't grip so well.

I would be interested in what you are finding.

I think you deserve a banana............

Regards

Alan

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Ah..... this is what i have been waiting so impatiently for.

I have been checking your site often, thinking that you might have some updates on the new circuit on there, but...no?

So here it is, the new track (which is looking fantastic, i might add
), I can tell, this thread is gonna keep me coming back, time and time again, as you work your way around the circuit, adding your excellent scenic touches.

Those 2 shots with the Corvette and Aston are
. They are my kinda thing. I have not bought any new cars for some months now, so they might find there way into my fleet in the future.

Your "track history"
is a bit like Star Wars, i have seen your trilogy, and then.....Whoomph, you go and release a new version which takes me back to the beginning.

Looking forward to watching this one progress, i am sure it will be a fantastic journey, with plenty of great ideas for the "scenically challenged" folk, like me.

Hey Alan, Where did you get that banana from? Is this some kind of extra you get for being a Grump?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Very nice Taxi. All your other tracks were superb and I'm sure this one will be as well. I see all the wood tracks and think maybe one day I will give it a try. It gives you tons of flexibility with layouts. Keep us posted.

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the interest and kind comments (and the banana!)

Bleep's right about needing a backdrop, I've got a few ideas if my artistic talents are up to it
But something will be covering the wall in the near-ish future.

Alan, I've been pleasantly surprised with grip levels and pretty much everything seems to work, especially with standard or relatively tame motors. Ninco NC5's and 6's are a bit of a handful! I haven't tried NSR or Ortman tyres yet, but there doesn't seem to be a desperate need.

Kev you trilogy comment cracked me up

I'll post more photos as things progress.

cheers,

Rob

PS: Racer63, it is your destiny! Just ask Beejay!!:lmfao:

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Morning all,

Just a couple more pics to show what I've been up to this week. I had another package of 'Homies' arrive, so I had to make somewhere for them to go...

It's just foamcard (and lots of hot glue), I've still got to add some details like hand rails and signs, but it's 90% finished. I'm not completely happy with it, I think it looks a little top heavy?

I've also been doing a few more grassy bits, and the inevitable walls, marshals etc. It's starting to give a bit more definition to the kink before the sweeping left-hander.

Last but not least, the 'Fosters' grandstand. The stands are SCTB, and I've added the 'VIP boxes' (more foamcard). I'm really pleased with this one!

Your comments would be appreciated, as always

cheers,

Rob

PS I've now updated my website, so you can see bigger pics here

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
QUOTE Today, 12:05 PM Post #13
Morning all,Afternoon Rob,
You must type as sloooow as me.

That is coming along nicely.
I am sure as your scenic develops, and the track race calender fills up, the crowds will be queuing up to get in, and swelling those grandstands even more.

QUOTE I think it looks a little top heavy?Looks fine in the pic, Rob.
I do like all the reflections that your buildings provide, and of course, they hide walls and garage doors very nicely.

Great pix as usual.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Evening Rob

Track looks excellent.
Having the cars hit the apex through the kink and the hairpin on the left looks the biz.
I think it adds a lot of realism to a slot track.

I dont think the stand looks top heavy maybe just a bit lonely.Another building on the left might be the go.
Lurrrve the reflections of the cars going past.

Top job

THC

·
Registered
973 Posts
Very well done on the jump to wood. Your last track was brilliant and as things are going this one should be even better. Does this mean that all of the cars have to be re-reviewed
? It's a tough job but someones got to do it.

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again for all the nice comments, you guys seem to be enjoying the track almost as much as I am

QUOTE Whats your secret?!

A reasonably understanding wife!

But the biggest compliment came from Zoe, my three year old daughter. She's normally too busy terrorising her sister, but yesterday she came out to 'play with Daddy's racing cars' and when she saw the track she said, "Wowee Daddy, this is brilliant. You're a genius!"
I'm not convinced that she knows what genius means, but she made my day anyway!

A few more pics -

camping/picnic site

The bottom hairpin and pit lane exit. I'm not happy with the lines, so they'll have to be re-done. I'm also thinking about routing the pitlane. I'm not sure about flippers etc to enter the pits, but I thought it could be fun to have cars rejoin from the pits, maybe after a de-slot. Or am I being too ambitious? What do you think?

Finally, an overview to give an idea of progress so far.

cheers,

Rob

PS Bigger pics here

1 - 20 of 623 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.