SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
my curent fastest car (well, its not mine its a mates, but its in my room at the mo, on my track), is...... a metro! its one of the cheap plastic things from the old figure 8 banked track called Mighty Metros! weve modded somewhat, and not in any styleish kind of way, infact, weve bodged it, but it flys!

weve got the metro (Blue with yellow bumpers), and removed the outer bumper (the one that runs all the way round the outside)
we then took out the interior details (red plastic things with a driver painted on)
we then changed the front wheeles to ones from a porsche 360 spin car (the metro fell over on corners, the new tires are wider and taller)
and finaly, we added a magnet. now, there isnt enough room inside the car to put the magnet, so weve taped it to the bottem of the car just behind the motor, and before the rear axel! its incredebly low down, it runs about 0.5/1mm above the track!

the car weights practicaly nothing, and now sticks to the track like glue! the plastic shell is so light that although its quite tall for its size, the center of gravity is somwhere near the floor. its now so fast that im struggling to keep up with it in a race with my DTM Merc's or my DTM Opel!! i still havent yet beat it as the oposing car always deslots first!
also, the magnet aids the breaking so it stops quicker than the Skoda Fabia 4x4!!!

so there you have it, woth todays modern cars, you can still build a race winner with a rickety old thing you find in your loft, a new guide blade, and a selotaped on magnet!!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi Skeeter

Have you lowered the front of your Metro?

We've done the mod as described on the link below on all our Metros and found that it helps. It still works if you add larger wheels/tyres (follow links forward to the 6R4 Prototype).

MG Metro

Not tried fitting a magnet though

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fitting a magnet makes the car reali fast, but a bit predictable. it doesnt slide, it just grips and grips untill it falls off

·
Jim Moyes
5,020 Posts
Bit of useless information for you!

The Scalextric Ninja Turtles Party Wagon used a Metro chassis. And it had a magnet!

There! Don't say I never tell you anything!

Mr.M

·
Registered
800 Posts
The Scalextric Ninja Turtles Party Wagon used a Metro chassis. And it had a magnet!

Wow, there's someone that takes slot cars seriously to learn something like that

·
Jim Moyes
5,020 Posts

You want more, don't you a Bill?

I can tell!

Mr.M

·
Registered
139 Posts
Where's my hacksaw? I'm off for a bit of car hacking

I've got two of these beasties in my loft and they only see the light of day when my son takes his friends over to play. Until they can master the metros they don't get to touch the decents cars.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do the front end lowering conversion, take of the crappy outer bumper, and whak on a magnet, it will leave your other cars standing! you will have to change it to them having to master the decent cars before they control the metro! (well, maybe not!)

·
Registered
291 Posts
QUOTE (Skeeter @ 12 Jan 2005, 00:36)do the front end lowering conversion, take of the crappy outer bumper, and whak on a magnet, it will leave your other cars standing! you will have to change it to them having to master the decent cars before they control the metro! (well, maybe not!)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you got any photo's skeeter of magnet placement?
Also did you use a button or rectangle magnet?

Also does anyone have a photo of the Scalextric Ninja Turtles Party Wagon chassis for reference?

Cheers

Az

1 - 9 of 9 Posts