SlotForum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi you all,

I observed that more and more people are showing interest on this sort of "retro slot car", picking up old Scalex and other brands (Matchbox, Betta / Classic) f1 bodies and transforming them into much better looking f1 racing cars, some of them real masterpieces.

The basic work is not that difficult : you paint the body, apply new and better decals, paint some details, and that old common f1 will feel much better !

Good things about doing this : researching historic material ; transforming and adapting parts to suit necessities ; building the cars ; the satisfaction of owning a unique piece, made at home.

Nevertheless, not everybody has the skills to do a high level work on these cars. Much more could be done if, for example, wing mirrors, rear wings, pilot helmets, motors imitations, exhausts, some wheels inserts, were available at reasonable prices.
It does not make sense, to me, to have to buy a Scalex M23 car to get the driver, motor (the plastic imitiation, not the real motor) to produce a Shadow dn1, for example.

When it comes to bodies, we have a problem : many of the Scalex bodies are underscale (BRM p160, Shadow dn1, Ferrari 312t, Brabham bt44, to mention a few), some appear overscale to me (the March 721). The French Brabham bt44 (C122) is very nice and "scale" but it was a nightmare to find one to buy. The French Scalex McLaren m23, Brm p180, Tyrrell 005 are not available anywhere, so I do not have an opinion about them.

I do not know if the Scalex Tyrrell 007 is a good reproduction, scale side.

I've been looking for a Ferrari 312b3 (Scalex Spain) and I could only find obscene prices, as £ 110.00 for a green Ferrari f1 (it is still there, at Ebay) !

The Fly cars are normally over scaled but are "ready cars" (I refer to the March 751, as I have not seen and measured the Lotus 78 and the Williams fw 07, although these 2 are out of the period I mentioned).

The Classic Scalex (Ferrari 312t2 and McLaren m23) seem out of the debate as I think that they are very beautiful, almost perfect.

The Betta / Classic bodies demand a lot of work but it is possible to make them into beautiful models. They seem "scale".

Matchbox has the Surtees ts16 and the Tyrrell P34, as long as I remember. Are they "scale" ?

Penelope Pitlane has a really beautiful Lotus 72.

ProtoSlot Kit did the Brabham bt34, the Lotus 56b and the Ligier Js5, but they are thought to use the Fly March as a "donor car", so they are probably over scale (as the donor).

I do not know if there are other models available.

My point is, there are lots of F1 cars of that period (1971 to 1975) that have not been made in 1/32 scale, and that probably will never be done by "big companies" (if we can call Fly, Slot-it, Scalex etc big companies).

Listing just my favorites : Hesketh 308 and 308 C ; Iso Rivolta 1973 ; Lola t370 ; Ferrari 312b3 (first b3, from 1973) ; Lola t370 ; Surtees ts 7 and ts9b ; Lotus 76 ; Matra ms120 d (1972) ; Token (1974) .

Others that already exist but are underscale or difficult to obtain : Ferrari 312b3 (the 1974 car) ; Brm p160 ; Surtees ts16.

There are other f1s, as Amon, Ensign, Maki, Trojan, Lyncar, Tecno, Penske.

I am not meaning perfect reproductions (as the Scalex Classic m23) but reasonable copies of the real cars, including the main body, mirrors, a "cover" for the gears (I am thinking how difficult it must be to make a "motor-suspension-shock absorbers-exhausts-gearbox-brakes" group as we find in the Scalex Classic m23 ...).

Concluding, do you honestly think that there is a market for at least part of these cars ?

Some may not be difficult to mould, but, if I decide to start this project, I will have to pay someone to make the moulds. I do not feel capable to transform a piece of balsa wood into a good looking f1 copy.

Same for rear wings, mirrors, pilot helmet, decals, motor-gearbox group exhausts etc.

DOES ANYBODY WANT TO JOIN TOGETHER ?

Thanks for your attention !

André Acker.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I definitely think there is a market for such a product. 1970 to 1980 are IMHO classic F1 years...
I will follow this thread with interest,methinks!
TED....

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ted,

I think it is a matter of finding or convincing one of the "resin masters" around to make the cars that we want.

Think about this : if, for instance, Penelope Pitlane is selling its Lotus 72 (with decals !) for £ 30.00, perhaps we can convince them to produce a Hesketh 308 (first model, from 1974) making a initial deposit of, say, £ 600.00, representing 20 Heskeths.

Too much money ? Not at all, if the SlotForum Consortium (now we even have a name !) can order 20 Heskeths at once.

To do this it is obviously necessary a previous agreement with PP and that 20 (or less, if some want to order more than 1 car) guys from this community agree to make these £ 30.00 deposits to PP.

I think most of the people in this community are serious enough to keep their word and to understand that if one fails the whole project will fail, so everyone is responsible for the success of the project.

The group will have a deadline to make the deposit. After PP (or other maker) gets the agreed sum, they start doing the mould to produce the cars.
If more people want to join, it is not a problem and the producer will be only happy !
With PayPal and credit cards, that is easy.
If some of the members live in distant or exotic places as Brasil, Australia, they will asked to pay the extra cost of delivery at the time of postage.
As it happens everytime we buy things from Pendle, PP, RSS etc.

I mentioned the Hesketh 308 because it is British (tough I am Brazilian) and because drivers from many countries raced it (Hunt, Alan Jones, Brett Lunger, Harald Ertl, Ian Scheckter).
Many different liveries to be made.

It does not seem that difficult to make the Hesketh mould and there is a very good blueprint by Roger Taylor.

Think about the Ferrari 312b3 (1974 car, vice-champion with Clay Regazzoni). How many people bought the Scalex Classic Ferrari 312t2, although all came with the same Ferrari team "decoration" ? And here too, there is the blueprint by Roger Taylor.

So, we are not kids anymore (both in the sense of age and of responsability), it is time to make our dreams come true. For £ 30.00, it seems a bargain !

I would be very happy to get a Ferrari 312b2 (1972 or 1973 version), a Surtees ts9b (large nose), a Matra ms120d (last version, 1972), a Token f1, a Iso Rivolta.

Best regards !

André Acker.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

I saw that Maxi-Models kits and GTurner Models kits cost around £ 30.00 to £35.00.
There a few exceptions costing more than this, but average price is from £ 30 to £ 35.00.

Not far from what I mentioned ...

André Acker.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
André
I'd be in for 3 kits of whatever car people chose from that period. That's £90 right there my friend.
By the way a slightly overscale but beautiful Hesketh admitedly with a vac-form body exists from Poland. I have one but its not really my thing. My point though is that if its been done and bought there may be less market. Choose just about any other though.....

Good luck with this.

The small parts and a DFV mould would also be good but less than a whole car I suggest.

Andi

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andi,

Is the Hesketh body you mentioned a Mtr32 ?
It is made in the Slovak Republic by Milan Tomasek.

But, as you said, it is vacuum formed, and, although I have nothing against this kind of bodies (on the contrary !), it is ineligible for almost all the categories.

There is also the possibility of making a laser cut chassis with standard dimensions, which would make things easier for those who want to concentrate just on the body and on details.

But this is already a second step !

I would like to have that Ferrari from the blueprint that you sent to me ...

Cheers !

André Acker.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way, the Mtr32 Hesketh has a 85 mm wheelbase.

According to ultimatecarpage.com, the 1/1 car had a 2540 mm wb, so 79.37 mm in 1/32 scale.

Another over scaled ?

André Acker.

·
Dave Capelen
2,774 Posts
Hi folks

Its a period for which SMK Slot Car Models and Kits will be producing F1 kits. Happy to listen to suggestions. I already have a couple in mind, including a Surtees.

cheers
Dave

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,284 Posts
I'd be in for a Hesketh. I loved the look of Dave Capelen's TR7 and other body (sorry forgotten!) shown at Abergavenny SRGB round. Tickled my fancy as a future project.

Good luck and well done, Andre.

Wonder if we could get it as a class at the club, to run in conjunction with our 70's F1 class?

*EDIT* Surtees - thats also interesting. (Sorry for the wrong spelling of your name earlier, DAve).

·
Dave Capelen
2,774 Posts
Hi folks

No problem about the name mis-spelling snurfen....

It is an era with a lot of possibilities. Apart from one or more Surtes, I'm also considering Matras and Ferrari 312 variants - to start with. There are plenty more, as has been said....

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
227 Posts
Andre,
I like the Idea. I'd be keen on more F1 cars from this era.

Dave,
I think judging by the success of the Brabhams and Ligiers that Protoslot made. You'd have to be onto a winner. There seems to be a market judging by the amount of 70's F1 Scratchbuilds on this forum and the intrest they generate.

I cant wait to see how this all pans out.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Good ideas there. I did investigate commissioning a shell of my own once(I am desperate for a decent 1970 Ferrari 312B)But it was too expensive-perhaps this is a way round this problem. I think if you register interest for a car-the Hesketh is a good start-then someone may produce it. Then they would,hopefully,be willing to do more.
TED....

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Like I said,I will watch this thread with keen interest! My dream is every car from the 1970 season....
TED.....

·
Slot King
2,646 Posts
My suggestion would be to ask George Turner who is a highly respected and reliable pattern maker working for large companies (besides his own production).

If we do that, then I will join in for some.

MS80/120 springs to mind, various Ferraris, a decent yellow teapot, etc...

Joel

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you everybody for the input !

We already have an offer from Ted (as a maker) to start.

And it does not mean every single kit must be done with the same maker, others can be elected, if they want to.

My proposition is, we choose the car and someone is decently payed to do the job, as simple as that.

I agree that maybe there are already plenty of resin kit makers in the market and we do not need a NEW one.

It is just a matter of them doing the f1 kits that this particular group is looking for.

So, may we try ?

Who is in ? Conti Roland (for 3 cars as he wrote), me, TED, Deslotted, Joel, Snurfen ?

We have 8 "pioneer orders" in 6 hours !

Come on guys, £ 30.00 is the cost of a lunch for 2 in a modest restaurant ...

André Acker.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Two questions : the mentioned Steve Ward and Steve Francis (FF Models, NLSME) are the same person ????

Does SMK Slot Car Models have a webpage ?

André Acker.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Andre,

Good idea and well done for making the suggestion.

I would be in for one as long as the kit fitted an easily available motor, chassis, wheels and tyres. One of the things I like about the PP Lotus is the way one can buy (from Pendles) the complete kit (with motor, chassis, wheels/tyres and decals).

Having the Fly 761 as the donor meant that the Protoslot kits were also suitable for twerps like me who cannot make their own chassis etc.

(I fitted the MTR32 Hesketh onto a Fly 761 chassis and if fitted perfectly, so perhaps it is slightly over-scale as has been suggested.)

I would not be so interested in the more obscure makes of F1 entries, but the main ones mentioned in this thread would be "must-haves" for me.

Thanks,
Philip

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
QUOTE (andre acker @ 7 Feb 2012, 14:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Two questions : the mentioned Steve Ward and Steve Francis (FF Models, NLSME) are the same person ????

Does SMK Slot Car Models have a webpage ?

André Acker.

No, not the same person. I have met both of them at the same event, Early Birds 2011. Steve Ward is Penelope Pitlane.

I'm very interested in this thread, although not currently interested in enlisting. I'd love to see racing in this period too. It seems to be Early Birds or nothing at the moment.

Edit: Go on then, put me down for a Hesketh.

1 - 20 of 368 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.