SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished watching the Formula E doco.

All I could keep thinking "These would make great slot cars"

Hopefully one of the big manufacturers like NSR, slot.it or Sideways will catch on to this niche market. You have your F1, LMP & GT classes, would love to see Formula E added to this

im-89836.jpg

gen2-small.jpg

Audi-car-dfdand-driver-copy-2.jpg

Audi-car-and-driver-copy-2.jpg

2020-nissan-formula-e-race-car-kimono-season-six-1.jpg

2019-2020-porsche-99x-electric-formula-e-race-car_100713637.jpg

stuttcars-formula-e-18-copyright-porsche.jpg

8f8cc29b5f907b9b5b9af8b33a557414.jpg

racefansdotnet-20200204-100518-1.jpg

bmw-ife-20-bmw-i-andretti-moto-1.jpg

ds-e-tense-fe-19-ds-automobiles-formula-e-2018-vid-sboku.jpg

FE-2019-Left-Site-2400x1350.jpg.ximg.l_8_m.smart.jpg

3e0b1d41b0dd7d301d6a43121479295b.jpg

racefansdotnet-df20200204-100518-1.jpg

Fahrzeug-11_v2.png.asset_.1536772702919.png

racefansdotnet-20200204-100520-3.jpg

racefansdotnet-20200204-100518-1.jpg

8f8cc29b5f907b9b5b9af8b33a557414.jpg

2019-2020-porsche-99x-electric-formula-e-race-car_100713637.jpg

2020-nissan-formula-e-race-car-kimono-season-six-1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Carrera has already made EPrix cars... Of course, they aren't fast enough without magnets.

Cheers

·
Circuit Owner
5,905 Posts
The Carrera GT H2? A couple of generations out of date.

The current Formula E cars would be a logical car to make - sand mould and lots of liveries.

Its ironic that an all electric formula is not available as a slot car.

Scalextric did the Formuia E support race Jags - come on Simon - give us the main event too!

·
Phil Clayton
882 Posts
Yep, Carrera made some of the Gen1 Formula E cars.
You'd think this was a no-brainer though.
Electric cars full size, electric cars to scale. What's not to like?

·
ParrotGod
7,925 Posts
On italiaslot there was an article of a club in Italy producing a 3D printed version of a fantasy version similar to a gen 2 F-E cars but I cannot find it.

They looked good.

·
Kitbasher
4,268 Posts
Carrera of course produced the Gen 1 cars, I use a pair as 'house cars' for visitors, it tickles me to use scale replicas of Electric Race cars on my electric Race Car track...

Reactions: SavMolo

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I'm surprised that as Scalextric did A1GP they haven't done anything (yet) with FE. As above, one mould and plenty of liveries. What's not to like? :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
They look good! With front overhang, long floor and long rear diffuser I can see them running well on a relatively flat track. Wouldn't run well on mine with the elevation changes, dips and banked curve.

·
Greg Gaub
14,801 Posts
I would expect it has crossed their minds, and they have run the numbers to find that they can't make enough profit based on licensing fees and forecast sales figures. Based on the fact that Carrera have not done any more,I bet they proved the market is not big enough to sustain the costs. It's also possible they have a short term exclusive contract for licensed slot cars and are holding onto that in case things change in the mean time. And as mentioned above, it comes down to popularity of the racing. If FE suddenly took the world by storm in some way, you can bet that cars will be produced by the big boys.

·
Registered
447 Posts
When the cars become autonomous and are driven by racers inside a building strapped into a simulator rig, it'll gain traction and everyone will want to race! How's that for a catch-phrase - Real Simulation Racing!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I suppose it will come down to , can we make a profit on doing them, always comes down to the bottom line , really don't think any form of sinle seater is that popular in slot car racing looking at clubs and Slotforum in general.

The generic NSR single seaters seem popular to a degree , not sure if the Slot it one's will be the same , Conti,s conversions of some of the F1 cars is great but adds another cost on top of the original car, will E break through in the slot world ? , i have watched a few real E races and found them more boring that the current F1 cars which i thought was not possible.

Nice liveries on those cars but this is one type of car i will pass on.

·
Registered
653 Posts
At the moment FE feels like a load of media spin. Everyone is watch it. Its going to be bigger than F1.

The cars are ok, but look like they are going slow. The tracks are, to be frank, absolutely awful. I do not know many people who like and follow the series. When it becomes less of a one make series it may become more interesting, but its all to gimmicky at the moment with fan boost etc...

Ihe cars would convert well to slot world but I dont think there are enough potential customers at the moment. F1 still rules the roost

·
Premium Member
5,468 Posts
I don't think the series is all that popular to justify making them as slot cars.
Yes. Exactly. Yes.*

Its ironic that an all electric formula is not available as a slot car.
More poetic, I like to think.

I'm not being funny or anything** but the question is when will the 1:1 series die?

*I've been watching W1A again and laughing my socks off.

**I've been watching W1A again and laughing my socks off.

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Wankel

It'll die when it's worn out - like the rest of us.

W1A? Glue yer socks on ya fool! They'll only come off again if you watch more episodes...

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
I don't think the series is all that popular to justify making them as slot cars.
Really? The racing is MUCH better than the so-called pinnacle of motor sport that is known as F1

It would be brilliant to have the latest Gen E Prix cars, common body, lots of liveries, what's not to like?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I have followed Formula E from day 1 and it is a very good series.

The cars are not any slower than TCR and other touring cars (except maybe DTM, which is likely to die soon) but that is much down to capping performance at the moment. They could go faster.

I agree that some of the tracks are a bit naf... Last year they had a lot of "oh let's put a mega tight chicane right after the start/finish straight" which always caused for a first lap pile up.

The cars are improving faster than originally planned. The were not going to go to a one-car race until 2021 and they already started it last year.

I am ambivalent abut robo-race i.e. racing sans drivers. On the one hand, that was supposed to start this year but the closest they have come is letting someone ride along alone in the car. This proves how hard it is to get a car to work on a track. On the other hand they will crack it eventually and I am not sure how they will make it exciting. All I can think is by getting the spectators/audience to make choices that give cars a boost or decide when to go into attack mode etc.

Back to the slot car idea: Yes it is interesting that Carrera has not picked up the Gen2 car. The problem I see is that they were too early. You can watch Formula E races on public television, live in most countries now which wasn't the case when the series started (I follow listings on 3 satellites so while it may have been available in some countries it is now more prevalent). The series is coming into its own now and I think it is an opportunity.

I am still trying to find a video taken at Gaydon's SlotFest of Adrian Norman explaining the car development process and I seem to remember they had to pay McLaren 50k GBP in advance after the car had been out for a year. That is of course AFTER getting all the clearance and the cost of tooling etc. They also have to give them some amount of money for each car sold.

When you look at all the names on the cars I could see that being a nightmare to get all the approvals and there being no profit in the end.

A real pity as the cars, particularly in digital mode would be ace.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts