SlotForum banner

Formula One Round 5

2K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  Exlotusman 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Good afternoon all,

Thanks for all the support last week it is appreciated.

So to this weeks round of your drive-em, you break-em, so you have to mend-em LOL.

Seriously, its the fifth round out of seven in this Formula 1 championship race series, with only fourteen meetings left before the team race on 19th december, our Presentation Night.

Yes Formula one didn't disappoint with the constant de-slots and crashes, I cant remember one heat or final when every one didn't leave

the track at some point.

So to the heats, As I said so many de-slots, or wires coming out, wings, wing mirrors, etc all leaving debris over the track and its the hardest

night for the marshal's putting cars back in their slots and a few drivers even tried flying their cars into the rubbish bin at turn 1.

We had a few crashes and several were like Alonso flying over the car in the next lane.

Well done to Iain who I think for the second time in his slot racing career at Presto took four wins in the heat well done mate.

Alf was missing last night as he is on holiday, but his cars made an appearance in the hands of Richard T. and it helped Richard to reach the

A final

So to the finals:-

Final D saw John D take on Keith and Ray, this was a shock for John D as he is usually in the A final but his lotus was not running very well

till he borrowed a car from Mike for the final which proved very good. After 25 laps John D took the win followed by Ray and Keith who's car

was very sick by the end.

Final C was contested by John D, Stuart, (nice to see you again), Lyle and John M. This was a quick final but the dreaded de-slots came

time after time but after the 25 laps the win was taken by Stuart followed by Lyle, John D and John M bringing up the rear.

Final B saw Stuart take on Mike, Tone, and Steve, this final was close for the first couple of laps and again the dreaded de-slots and

some scrapes we had Mike take the win to be followed home by Steve, Tone, and Stuart.

Final A saw an unusual name in the line up, Iain took on Mike, James H, and Richard. It was the closest race and the fewest de-slots

of the night, with Iain taking the lead and holding it all the way while Mike, James and Richard fight for the other places . So the final result

saw Iain take the win from James H, Mike and Richard bringing up the rear.

The final points results for the night are as follows :-

Iain 25 + 1pt for fastest lap, a new lap record of 6.523 secs.

James H 23

Mike 21

Richard T 20

Steve 19

Tone 18

Stuart 17

Lyle 16

John D 15

John M 14

Ray 13

Keith 12

Next week we start Round 6 of the Slot-it Class.

Hope to see you all there for another great night at Presto Park.

See less See more
#2 ·
Really well done to Iain for the four heat wins, an A final win and a new lap record for this class.
banana.gif
banana.gif
banana.gif

James drove well to score a second place with his Policar Formula 1, the same car as i drove. Richard proved Alf's F! cars are really quick and handle well but i don't think he exploited the car fully fearing he would damage it. Steve also did well to finish fifth overall with a broken bearing mounting in his Ferrari, so well done to him.
clap.gif
Obviuosly racing at Norwich Slot Racing is paying dividends with having more track time, thus learning also.

I decided James needed the extra points for the championship so i have decided to have a week off BUT' I will be back.'

See you all in a couple of weeks and don't leave the kitchen dirty for goodness sake - you know what i mean. Lol.
wink.png

#4 ·
Without doubt my best night ever since I joined Presto Park. In the last F1 round I had 3 wins and a second to give me my first pole choice ever but could not get the better of James and was more than happy to settle for second spot my best finish to date. I arrived at the club last night feeling that with the return of Richard, armed with Alf's F1 projectiles that I was on for 3rd place at the very best but might have to settle for 4th or 5th but that would be much higher than my normal results. Mike and others who vie for the championship and always are in the A final or there abouts tell us 'that if it ain't broke ,then don't try to fix it' I just oiled my tires and made a microscopic adjustment to the front wheel ride heights and lined up on the driver's rostrum for heat 1. I went from start to finish without a de-slot (perhaps a first for me!) won the heat and set a new lap record. GOBSMACKED!! I managed to win my next 3 heats all without a single de-slot, a first for me, and took my place in the A final feeling that tonight could be the night but just take it steady and let it happen. Over my time at Presto listening to the club front runners advice to start steadily in any final as you have 25 laps to race I was able to settle down and then get a bit quicker as the final progressed. I had the luxury of having the four wins in the heats and the encouragement of all the finalists who realized I was making an unaccustomed visit to Valhallah and thank you for that, it means a lot to me. No pressure for the next round then!!

I was also very flattered that some of the members asked me what I had done in building and preparing my car. In case it is of interest to others here is low down. It worked for me and I hope others may get something to help.

The car is a-bay Scalextric Brabham BT49. can't remember what it cost but it was not a lot. AS bought it was never going to be the most competitive car as standard so what could I do?

Setp 1 new 3D printed chassis from Shapeways. https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZN7DSEMR7/chassis-for-scalextric-brabham-bt49-f1 This is the Angelo Amato chassis and I had bought it before I contacted Angelo and found he not only has a very full catalogue but also 'prints' and sells his chassis at about half the cost of the Shapeways models. It is an awesome chassis a big thank you Angelo for producing it, it is the backbone for a great upgrade to the 'old warrior'.

I used the offset inline Slot.it chassis SICH49b with the white offset gears, 8 pinion 29 crown. NSR F1 hubs with Nsr Ultra ribbed tires, tread almost removed and a Sloting Plus 'BIg Foot' pickup guide un modified from https://www.pendleslotracing.co.uk/sloting-plus-universal-evo-big-guide-pcs.html?___SID=U.

To push it all along I installed a BRM Superevo 25k motor, not everyone's favorite at the club but it sure works for me.

As I am not much good with a soldering iron I tried out the independent front axle setup described here from the forum https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=160562 works a treat and thank you Mr Modifier for your July 17 post I have used it on all my cars that the class regs allow and as you know it makes a difference. here is a way of keeping the cost of stoppers down https://www.pendleslotracing.co.uk/mitoos-axle-stoppers-m2-5-x6.html?___SID=U

I just use the front two body mounting screws as per Angelo's suggestion, fully tightened with 1- 1 1/2 turns backed off on the four motor pod screws.

As for weight I sought advice from Alf who held the F1 lap record till last night (Sorry Alf). A bit behind the front axle, two very thin bits in the sides of the chassis and a small piece in the void in the engine mount next to the crown wheel and that's about it..

If like me you have got hooked on the idea of rejuvenating some of yor 'old war horses' with a £d chassis and up to date running gear then you may find the following links of some help.

https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133634&page=2 found on Slot forum and very comprehensive Thank you to all who did the hard work in finding the links.

I have also found some success by typing in specific car details with '3d chassis for ........' into google.

If I can work out how to upload images and anyone is interested in a pic of the weight distribution give me your email at iain@themcks.plus.com and I will happily send you a pic.

I am not suggesting that I am some wizz kid car builder and hope that people don't think that this is an inappropriate post but several members at the club seemed curious as to my success last night so I said that I would try and post what I had done i making the car. AS I said earlier I am still basking in my best nights racing and on the face of it perhaps for one night only I have managed to produce the best car on the night now if only............!

See you all next week for the Slot.it Lyle benefit night.

Iain.

#5 ·
Well done Iain I will be after the lap record next time out in f1.
Well Richard you did not have to worry about breaking my car, ( Mike managed it last time) anyway 4th in the A final is good.
See you all in a couple of weeks.
Oh James I went passed Slotsport today but they are shut for holidays, can't understand people that take holidays!!!!!
Alf

#6 ·
Well what a night, from flying my car in the heats over the barrier on turn 2 somehow and actually getting stuck in the barrier in another race probably sums up most of my night
lmfao.gif
We all knew it was F1 cause the super glue was out and used a few times especially on my car
unsure.png
Also very well done to Iain ! His car was going very well and he deserved to win. The first couple of laps of the A final were pretty close between us all and I thought hmm maybe I have a chance here, so I went to over take Iain and bang I found the barrier
blink.png
most of you heard my language after that because I wasn't happy with myself this took me from hero to zero.. back of the pack, this took some building back to second but by then Iain had waved to me twice on his way passed as he lapped us all
unsure.png
There was no way I was catching him as his car was going so well and two tenths faster than me a lap. But I settle for second as I managed to beat mike meaning I pull the gap between us down further and hopefully can beat Lyle next week and re take the lead of the championship. F1 is always a hard class as its so close between most of the drivers and it takes skill to drive these cars side by side because one off can end your whole race. Anyway it was a good nights racing with a lot of laughs including Mikes comments to put me off before the races
lmfao.gif
(he knows what I'm on about) and Ray the birthday boy teasing Averil through-out the night but thanks for the cake
thumbsup.gif

See you all next week for slot it

AND YESSSSSS MIKES NOT HEREEE NA NA NANANA NA
banana.gif
banana.gif
banana.gif

#8 ·
Hi Alf sorry about your lap record I expect you won't be making any suggestions on weight distribution to me any time soon!!!! but thank you as this could have been the contributing factor to me doing 4 heats without leaving the slot once. Unheard of for me as you know only too well and probably never to be repeated. I fully expect you to get it back in the next round but till then please allow me to bask unexpectedly in the glory of my first lap record. Looking forward to your return for GT3 and your keeping tabs on me to make sure I reset the lap timer before the cars come round for the first lap!!.

Any chance for more setup tips please!!

Iain

#13 ·
Hi Guys

Well done Iain on a cracking nights racing with a very deserved win! Thanks also to Alf for the loan of his car - sorry I didn't get a higher placing although I'm happy to have made the A final. Iain teased me for a couple of laps allowing me to keep up with him then left me for dust!
The pressure to catch up saw me leave the track and und up over the barrier taking out a spectator. I believe that in these situations the driver is exonerated with responsibility solely at the door of the team owner - sorry Alf but I'll leave you to deal with the paperwork on this one!
The resulting debris on the tyres put paid to any chance of a podium place. None the less I had a cracking nights racing so thank you once again.
See you next week.
Richard

#14 ·
Well done Richard you kept up the Alf/Richard team results. However with regard to your off and the unfortunate demise of a spectator the circuit owner should have ensured that there was suitable run off areas.
My lawyers will be in touch with the circuit owner in the next few days.
It may be that he will not be able to access the track until this issue is resolved, so go for it James, this could last, legally, at least a couple of months!!!!!
Alf

#16 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for a good race evening and well done Iain for winning!!

Your F1 was fast and consistant.

My Seb's Red bull was put together finally that afternoon so it was its debut on track. Did well, I think but not well enough.

Thank you Iain for sharing the techie info on your Brabham BT49. I wish you all the best for all future races, you can do it!!

Did the "SAUDIA" sponsored a BT49??

Back to standard SLOT-IT next week and like Muscle cars a good test for almost standard build, and may the best car win.

Regards,

Tone

#17 ·
Well mike from a legal prospective I guess you could close the circuit as the owner. However as I have a key racing will carry on so James can close the points gap.!lllllll
Iain of course will be band from any F1 race
Alf
PS Idont seem to be able to post all those funny little pictures, can anyone help.

#18 ·
Hi Alf

Even though you may not be able to post the funny little pictures and can still visualise them in your posts! I've also spoken to my legal team and a key holders decision is king!
It will be great to see you back next week Alf. It was good to see Stuart back racing as well as banter input.
A couple of thank you's I omitted from my last post to Ray for cake - everyone enjoys cake. And thank you to Keith for this weeks race report with once again an unparalleled level of reply and banter.
I've once again taken a trawl through some of the other clubs which post on this site. Some local and some not so and have found that they have a high level of views but 0 yes ZERO replies, and before anyone comments yes I did mean to shout!
Don't take my word for this go and take a look and you will be as surprised as me although I suppose I'm not really that surprised as I did have a look last week. Why don't their own members post a reply? Maybe they haven't had as much fun as we have on our race nights.
Look at some of the banter on this weeks posts. Alfs posts always bring a smile and it's almost as if he was with us on the night. Mike how about a retrospective fee for those who are absent on the night but are still with us in spirit through their postings?
No forget that last point I don't want to prevent a week where I don't get a bit of Alfs humorous banter to keep me going till next week.
I can recall Iain's posts, big congrats once again for your F1 smash - just brilliant!, from his trip to New Zealand. A fantastic blog.

So a big thank you to Mike and Averil for the work you put into the club and thank you to everyone in the club because as I see it what we have at Presto is unique.

#19 ·
Hi Alf. Are you talking about these
help.gif
banana.gif
banana.gif
banana.gif
or something completely different. If it is these you have lost then make sure that you have the Smiley face on your upper bar and try clicking on the more options button next to the POST button and on r/h side click on enable emoticons if it is not checked. Hope this helps but I expect as usual I have misunderstood what you meant.

Looking forward to your return for GT3 do you think I could get away with gaffer taping my F1 chassis under my porsche with a jpeg of the NSR chassis stuck to the bottom. Do you think if I distracted Viv or Richard while they were looking at it it would scrape through?? Just a thought.

Regards mate,

Iain

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.