SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Gerald Lambourn
1,036 Posts
The Neuvic, Dordogne, France club which now has Graham Lane and myself among its members is perparing two teams to run at this event, please see the following for the technical requirements:

http://www.cirso32.com/t2225-gpl-2020-grand-prix-de-leguevin-annonce#20348

I would be happy to answer queries as there is no English version of these rules that refer to car specifications, basically eligible cars are front engined non-streamlined GP cars that competed in races for F1 cars in the years 1950 to 1959. Cars can be scratch built or use commercial body shells but must use an organiser supplied SRP slim-line motor and Cartrix rear tyres, Transmission to be through Slot-it blue 26tooth crown.

The race rules have not been published yet but envisage the use of six or seven tracks in sequence, I will post the link when they are to hand, a concours award is also envisaged

Lots of cars are competing to be the car selected by each team from Neuvic. team (B) Grahan Lane Alfetta 158, Gerald E-type ERA or Talbot- Lago T26, Team (A) Michele Piovano and friend Joel, from two Ferrari 801s, the last Ferrari to use the Lancia designed V-8 engine.

Really looking forward to this as it gets close to a pioneering sixties event but using more reliable material. I'll be reporting on the builds as they progress, the main challenge to make a stand-out car in my view is including enough suspension detail that doesn't handicap reliability or performance.

· Gerald Lambourn
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I collected all the pieces and G Turner bodies last weekend. I then downloaded the competition rules,the reading of which makes things a bit tricky. Each team must have three drivers min and one car,so three cars will be competing for one place in our team.If Graham's Alfa wins out so be it,I had the Talbot and EType bodies to finish anyway. There will also be a sports car event for under 2 litre sports cars from 1950 to 1965. My ancient MGA seemed the thing but we need two drivers and must use a less than 20k motor.I would like to do this event but expect to stay very late as the primary event will surely run late. With December's Bordeaux I have never had so many projects on the go! On Saturday we shall how the first cars go, then I'll post some photos.

· Gerald Lambourn
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On Saturday I shared out all the parts.Graham started his Alfa 158 straightaway,the Dave Jones shell is a beautiful piece of work. Disaster has struck the E type as the rims are not true on the hubs. I have others but maybe lightweight plastic with the chrome toned down could work.With carbon axles I could save 10 grams of rotating mass,important as the 21k motor is just ok no more.
Welcomed Keith Charles to the team as our third driver, and sent off our entry.
The BPH class imposes a 21k FC motor and 21mm diameter tyres,not sure how these would fit in a Mini Cooper of which there were a swarm in the 1964 Tour we France. So I requested a derogation for tyres and use of a Slimline motor in a Scalextric Lotus Cortina. Tests showed that more front ballast could be good on grippy Ninco track.

· Gerald Lambourn
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stirred up a hornet's nest with the Lotus Cortina idea for GPH so I am looking at using an Airfix MGB with Slotit pod. Hope to do lots of testing next weekend because then it's Bordo and then Christmas.

· Gerald Lambourn
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spent today making cars raceworthy,get body to chassis fixings sorted,put in push on clips as motors have to be changed,checking axle lengths to give right track,front axles held by centre tube glued in,stops spacers rubbing on body.I'll just represent the top wishbone on the Lago,for the E type I'll do the rear tube and radius arms,at front something but not too much that might get damaged.

· Gerald Lambourn
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We got back from Legueven nr Toulouse late on Sunday night after a great weekend in which each team raced for no less than 10hrs40mins through 32 races on seven different tracks. Graham, Keith Charles and myself travelled with three from the Neuvic club and we enjoyed an apero and introduction to tthe club tracks on Friday night. Early up on Saturday to familiarise ourselves with each of the seven tracks totalling 32 lanes, one for each team. Each team was scehduled to drive two or three 20 minute sessions on each track in turn, going out on even and back on odd numbered lanes or vice versa. Three tracks were six lanes and four four lane using a mix of Ninco, Carrera, Scaleauto and even Scalextric 1/24th track with three lanes per piece. The new Scaleauto received very favourable comments, maybe there is a review needed here? Each team was given a running order in which I allocated most to our best drivers and gave myself just six segments on the easier tracks. Graham's Alfa proved to be a very superior car so after fitting with the handed out motor, so we used the Tabot and ERA as practice "mulets".

There were 15 sessions on Saturday night, I think we fell into bed just after 2am. We were sixth after the first eight sessions when we stopped for dinner, how typically French, thereafter our car seemed to slow for no particular reason, we gave it several injections of lighter fuel that seemed to help. Graham's careful car preparation was really paying off and there were no mechanical glitches, the handling was very stable, ideal for racing under such demanding conditions. Tyrewear was modest, the reliability was good for all cars, some twenty-six cars used the PP slimline chassis, there was a preponderance of Lancia Ferraris and eight cylinder Gordinis, I guess we should have run the Thinwall Special from PP. BRM's and Vanwalls were notable by their absence. The rare Bugattis were handicapped by short wheelbase and tail overhang, just like the prototype I guess. Best car proved to be a Lancia Ferrari with the PP chassis and the largest possible ballast pieces filling the void under the panier fairings.

On the Sunday we continued with our slightly off the pace car ably driven by Graham and Keith, little by little we fell back to finish 13th which was very satisfying all things considered and we beat the official Bordeaux team handicapped by their Bugatti. The Neuvic team of Joel, Mikaeli and Remy was tenth and our cars proved closely matched. The George Turner Ferrari 801 shell proved a very good choice.

The tracks held up well but Ninco showed some problems with adjacent segments giving a tripping edge, while the very hilly Le Castellet proved to have many lap counting problems which led to the cancelling of all the laps scored on one lane, much to Graham's displeasure as he was convinced he had won the segment.

The meeing closed with prize distribution and a draw for many donated prizes, we didn't stay for the under 2 litre sports event and so got home at a reasonble hour. I'll try to load some photos meanwhile the website has full results and Julien Touya has uploaded a full photo coverage.

The outing really cemented our freindships and our place in the Neuvic club, the chair Alain Laurent was present, I learned about a 24hr event coming up this year, hope it fits into my social calendar!

· Gerald Lambourn
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Surprise, ERA E type GP1 figured on TV as Prince Harry and Lewis Hamilton inaurgurated the BRDC Silverstone Experience, just to complete the nostalgia there was Christobel Carlisle fastest girl in a MIni.

· John Roche
4,366 Posts
Hi Gerald,

I saw a resin body for an early 50's Stirling Moss car somewhere recently, perhaps an ERA, I have a feeling I also saw a picture of it in the coverage of this meeting? I know the guy who makes it is French. Any ideas?

Edit: I've just found this photo, the car I'm interested in is second from the right on the front row

plateau.jpg

Thanks,

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.