SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ParrotGod
9,313 Posts
Yeah, this lockdown in Auckland seems endless.
I think that we will be back racing next year...
Nice long straights. Given that the table is not too wide, I think it is a good track.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Average lap time 12sec
Best 8.2sec
Mainly racing aussie V8,s
Scaley sidewinder motors. With mags. Very even racing.
Full throttle straights with Mixture of fast and slow corners.
I'm using magic arc app. Any suggestions of settings to even up experienced drivers with learners.
Was quite fun today with everyone racing at 80 % throttle

·
Greg Gaub
15,381 Posts
Handicap the fast/good drivers.
Reducing power for the new ones will help reduce crashing.
Give the newbies more practice time, especially with some skilled drivers maintaining a short lead so that the newbies can see when to brake and accelerate, as well as running behind the newbies (though not in the same practice session) to help them learn how to ignore the pressure of someone on their tail. This not only helps them learn, but encourages them to keep playing the game when they don't feel they're being lapped all the time. My club's mantra is "It's more fun to lose by an inch than to win by a mile." Lose to the newbs a few times. ;-)
When you have enough people, you can start doing things like splitting up the races based on skill level with a way for people to move between groups based on how well they perform.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Handicap the fast/good drivers.
Reducing power for the new ones will help reduce crashing.
Give the newbies more practice time, especially with some skilled drivers maintaining a short lead so that the newbies can see when to brake and accelerate, as well as running behind the newbies (though not in the same practice session) to help them learn how to ignore the pressure of someone on their tail. This not only helps them learn, but encourages them to keep playing the game when they don't feel they're being lapped all the time. My club's mantra is "It's more fun to lose by an inch than to win by a mile." Lose to the newbs a few times. ;-)
When you have enough people, you can start doing things like splitting up the races based on skill level with a way for people to move between groups based on how well they perform.
I don’t like giving away wins (except to kids), but what I do sometimes with newbies is racing with a slower car(same class just “slow” for any reason), or racing with stock or old tires (sort of dry) or dirty tires(never clean them on a race), that’s enough to give newbies a few yards of advantage😉

A good newbie always asks how to tune, race, etc.,even me with some experience always ask the tune setting for a particular class/car on any track I don’t know well…

·
Greg Gaub
15,381 Posts
Yeah... but it's not really losing when you do it intentionally. Sometimes, it's a challenge to restrict yourself enough to lose without making it look like you lost.
Besides, you'd be amazed at how much better you drive when you're not "balls to the wall" the whole time. ;-)

·
ParrotGod
9,313 Posts
Do you know how long each lane is? 8sec lap with a mag car is a good lap consider that you have 4 long straights.

·
ParrotGod
9,313 Posts
Yeah... but it's not really losing when you do it intentionally. Sometimes, it's a challenge to restrict yourself enough to lose without making it look like you lost.
Besides, you'd be amazed at how much better you drive when you're not "balls to the wall" the whole time. ;-)
I agree with this and sometime I do.
However, it is also good to let the newbies know that they (initially at least) are racing against other newbies. This of course makes sense if you have enough newbies.
If you have just one new person joining a group of experienced drivers then it is another story.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Giving the newbie the best car definitely helps, but we still had to wind down his throttle to help with crashes, And then of course we had to wind down our throttles correspondingly. I also am a great believer in making the newbie as competitive as possible. Who wants to get lapped over and over again.??
Just trying to find the balance between speed , fun and crashing too much, while keeping new and old entertained.
We raced for a bout 4 hrs , so I guess something was working

·
Greg Gaub
15,381 Posts
I've found that racing crash and burn gets newbies to slow down and drive more carefully pretty quickly. When I do parties, I just do a simple "last man standing" race, over and over, until most of the kids "get it." THEN I start races with actual lap counting and stuff.
Unsurprisingly, girls catch on a lot faster than boys, in general.

·
ParrotGod
9,313 Posts
With digital you can easily configure races to incentivize good racing from newbies.
If you have a group of racers already proven, you cannot change the rules (burn&crash) or change the throttle profile so that a newbie feels welcome.
Already enabling damage points you can achieve a lot.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
copper on top of rails. works really well. total continuity. ( some of the track pieces are a bit old )

Driving is totally fun. Great long full throttle straights . Some with long run ins and some with hard breaking zones at the end. Get around the corner safely then hard on the gas, then time the braking. We are getting quite fast. Has been a bit of carnage on the cars !!!!. A few rubber catch walls help, but the driving standards are improving dramatically

·
ParrotGod
9,313 Posts
Good that is what we want to see...driving improvements.
With summer approaching, the track might expand and the tape might brake.
You might need to patch it up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts