SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 4 car digital power bases. Can they be put together to make a four lane digital layout. I have looked in the Forums but they were old PB. I want to be able to go all the way on the inside or the outside. I was also looking for a video on how the track looked when it was finished. Can this be done? Thanks

·
Greg Gaub
17,243 Posts
You can do 4 lane with the 4 car base, but just one base.
To get more amps to the rails, you might want to do the 4/4 Master/Slave mod, where you make a second 4 car base the slave of the first, so that the first controls the power provided by the second, doubling your total available amps. For larger tracks, especially if you're talking 4 lane, more amps is a good thing.

what you can't do with the 4 car base, because it doesn't HAVE any, is lap counting. It has no sensors for counting, and therefore cannot count. The 4 lane mods you see are specifically to provide 2 more lanes of lap counting.

If all you want is to split off into 4 lanes, all you need to do is provide enough straight lane changers to make sure all 4 lanes can be chosen, at least once per lap, and then bridge the power from the outside pair of slots to the inside. The straight lane changers, although they let you connect the track so that the inside lanes can switch to the outside ones and back, do NOT have power jumpers underneath to provide power to those new lanes. Simple jumpers, just like power booster cables, to bring power from the two sets of rails that the base connects to, to the new sets of rails created by the additional lanes.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
However, if you want four digital lanes that you can count laps on you need a 6 car power base.
I have made a four lane start finish separated from the power base made from an old C7030 upgraded to PBPro-SH (follow the link in my signature) but it can be done with the new advanced 6 car powerbase.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. Im new to digital, and my friend has a 4 lane analog carrera set with lap times. I want to make a 4 car layout that has lap times. Also want to cut power to it and go analog. Has anyone built a layout like this. I think it would be good because this way anyone that has a car (digital-analog) can race. Also has anybody noticed that if you take a digital car and run it on a analog track it will run slower, then if you remove the chip it will be faster. also ss67 I tried to follow the link but I didn't know how. Thans guys

·
Greg Gaub
17,243 Posts
The chips steal over a volt from the power, so a chipped car will always be a little slower. It will also have no brakes.
Making a switchable system is not hard, but would take a lot of wiring and switches. If doing that, you won't want to bridge the lanes as I previously described, just keep them separate for analog use, and when you switch to digital, make sure the power coming from the digital base is connected to all 4 lanes.
The digital lap counting will not work properly for analog, and analog counting won't work for digital, so you'll need redundant timing systems.
Or, you can choose just one or the other for the time being, and use the slot.it oXigen timing system when that comes out, which will work for both digital and analog. I'd suggest going with a digital setup at first, but wire it like you would for analog (each lane isolated) so that when you get the oXigen lap counting tracks, you can more easily add the analog control for each individual lane.

·
Greg Gaub
17,243 Posts
It's Slot.it's digital system that is coming out soon. They'll be making Scalextric Sport compatible track pieces. It's a "drop in" system using half-straight length pieces that use wireless to a special USB receiver for the computer to perform lap counting duties. It can work with their digital system (oXigen), Scalextric Digital, and also as an analog lap counting system. You can get more information at the slot.it web site, which is www.slot.it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, that sounds great I'll wait till that comes out. I guess there is no need to buy the 6 car PB if that will give me lap times on digital and anaolog. there is alot to think about to put together a nice layout. And in my case alot of wiring. Thanks for the help. Kevin

·
Andrew Wallace
1,102 Posts
Its worth mentioning that the new APB from Scalextric does both digital and analog, and that the lap timing works regardless of the mode. What's more, with the v1.04 firmware, pace cars, throttle configurations, fuel usage etc etc also work in analog. And there's more
- its available now....
All you need is a a cheat sheet from Riko, and I am certain that there is a 4 lane mode in there somewhere!

·
Greg Gaub
17,243 Posts
If there was a way to get 4 lanes analog being counted properly with the APB, I'd love to know about it. I've got a friend who wants to convert his 4 lane analog to run digital, but not at the cost of running the analog as well, and a single power and timing system would be phenomenal.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
No point in even thinking about 4 lane analog counting as the Powerbase can only provide drive for 2 cars.

Rich

·
Administrator
10,683 Posts
Gorp Live And Dangerous? I know that did power, I can't remember if he thought about lap counting?

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
775 Posts
This is also one of the things I'd like to do. Make a 4 lane digital start/finish. Will one of these work for the extra 2 lanes? ss67 Did exactly what I want to do....the USB connectors are so neat and tidy, lovely, well done!

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
As Riko says it won't work with analogue but if it is just digital then yes you can cut the track from the lap counter and use the sensors for a four lane start finish.

If you're going to use USB connectors just make sure you connect the cables the right way round so that the ID sensors and guide blade sensors are connected correctly.

Oh, and you will need a 6 car base. Either the older C7030 or the new C7042.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
QUOTE (Keeto @ 17 May 2011, 17:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is also one of the things I'd like to do. Make a 4 lane digital start/finish. Will one of these work for the extra 2 lanes? ss67 Did exactly what I want to do....the USB connectors are so neat and tidy, lovely, well done!

Keeto, if you would like to see it in action it will be set up and running on Saturday 21st May at Moulton Village festival (Northants).
Just give me a shout

·
Digital &quot;Tea Boy&quot;
775 Posts
Thanks again, guys.

One 6 car PB-Pro with SH - check!
One lapcounter - check!
All digital system - check!

Just opened the lap counter - no guide blade sensor....is this going to be a problem?

Aaah Simon, I'd love to see it, but I have other plans already and Sunday is the BIG day!

·
Greg Gaub
17,243 Posts
The lap counter as pictured in the above posts should have pretty much the same system under the track surface as the 6 car bases, with two boards. One board has the IR sensors for ID, and the other has the IR across the slot for blade sensing.

Are you saying that you have a new SSD lap counter that has only ONE board inside under the track?

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
If it's only got one board, then that is a change from the first release. Have you a picture of the inside?

Rich

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.