SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this lovely French Scalextric Fiat 131 from the excellent Phil Smith today.
One of their last releases. Bit low on the detail front, but still a very nice model.
Cheers,
Kev

Next to a new SCX 131.

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
That SCX one has got a bit of a Fiat/Seat identity crisis going on.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aye, it`s a Seat...but Seats were just Fiats with a Seat badge on in those days .
Me dad bought a brand new Fiat 131 Abarth years ago, & afterwards I bought it off him. Lovely fast car, but my word what a death trap!!
Cheers,
Kev

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
I've not seen the French made 131 before, but it still looks good alongside the modern version. The Alpine A310 was one of my favourites of the French Scaley cars. Always fancied a Renault 12 but they tend to fetch pretty good money now.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep an eye on Fleabay Pace, sometimes the odd 12 slips through at a good price.
Cheers,
Kev

·
Phil Smith
2,632 Posts
QUOTE The Alpine A310 was one of my favourites of the French Scaley cars

There are two French A310s, the one Kev shows above (but he shows the UK packaged version) and this one (partner to the Fiat 131), both of which are really Polistil cars and not Scalextric,

btw, got the rear wing Kev, thanks

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
QUOTE (loosesalute @ 31 Aug 2011, 13:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Aye, it`s a Seat...but Seats were just Fiats with a Seat badge on in those days .

If Seats were Fiats with a Seat badge then how come that Seat's a Seat with a Fiat badge?

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe it was a Fiat that was sponsored by Seat or they forgot to take the Fiat badge off the Seat in which case it was a Seat with a Fiat badge on..

Cheers,
Kev

·
Administrator
10,133 Posts
QUOTE (scaleslotcars @ 31 Aug 2011, 14:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There are two French A310s, the one Kev shows above (but he shows the UK packaged version) and this one (partner to the Fiat 131), both of which are really Polistil cars and not Scalextric,

btw, got the rear wing Kev, thanks

I'm confused Phil.
My C22 and C28 were always pukka Scalextric. The yellow A310 definitely came from the same (modified) mould. I remember them as being French Scalextric when they were launched (ahead of the change to "Circuit-S) so why are you saying they are Polistil?

·
Phil Smith
2,632 Posts
The C28 was first sold in France (designed at the French factory) it was sold here, as a UK car, with UK wheels, driver etc.

The Yellow A310 #93211 (it is totally different to the C28 and is not a modified mould) along with the Fiat 131 were designed by Polistil, just turn one over and look at the chassis which is a typical Polistil design, and sold by the French Scalextric company, not sure who owned it when these came out without a little research (brain is getting old) but it may have been Meccano.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aye, you`re right about the base of the car Phil.
There is also no interior.
I`m sure Meccano ran the company right through the 70s till it`s demise.
Cheers,
Kev.
Pleased you got the wing AOK Phil.

·
Phil Smith
2,632 Posts
Ok got me brain refitted.
Meccano took over the French factory in 1971 and continued to produce cars as Scalextric until 1979 when the name was changed to Circuit S this was changed again, later on, to Scalextric S
Not sure when the Alpine (yellow) and the Fiat were introduced but it may have been in the late seventies or early eighties.

Here is a scan of a Scalextric S catalogue, unfortunately there is no year date on it but it must have been when the Fiat 131 came out as it shows the car with a different livery to the production car, note the blue flash down the sides and the wing on the roof.

there is a number on the back of the catlaogue '491990' which could mean it is from 1990 but I am sure that slot car production was stopped in the early eighties, any French collectors know? Don?

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought they jacked in the same year as Jouef Phil? 1980.
Fiat looks great in that livery.
Have you seen Dave Wisdoms recent re-working of the Porsche Turbo?
Seems they also got the Tyrrell & BRM mixed up!
Cheers,
Kev.

·
Administrator
10,133 Posts
I remember them coming out only three or four years after the red C28 was marketed over here, So that must be 76/77. As a late teenager I so wanted that A310 with the chassis, and the 131. I must have seen a french catalogue as that was way before Rogers book.

·
Administrator
10,133 Posts
OK, I must be wrong as the new Scalextric logo didn't come out until 1977, and that catalogue was not the picture I remember - I recall the fiat with dark glass in the picture and the Alpine A310 facing right but with a view which clearly showed the slats on the rear. So what I saw must have been a year after this catalogue as the Fiat is definitely a prototype with its clear glass. So earliest must be 78/79, and 1980 sounds quite plausible.

·
Administrator
10,133 Posts
Phil have a look at this one - looks to be the missing link, moulded in normal red with C28 screen (recognise the moulded in rear view mirror) but with a chassis and body mods for the rear slats and spoiler etc.
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Scalextric-Original-Alp...=item3cbb911421

Its a bit expensive...

·
Phil Smith
2,632 Posts
Not quite sure what that one on ebay is!
Looks like the Meccano car moulded in red with a clear glass, obviously a bit of a one off, hence the price, but the seller does not have much to say about it by way of explanation.

Meanwhile here is the Meccano catalogue from '76/77 and no sign of the Alpine or Renault here.

update:
just found a '77/78 catalogue and that shows the same range of cars as above, still no Alpine or Fiat.
Nice cover though with a different 'Scalextric' logo

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.