SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
QUOTE (agrojim @ 12 Nov 2010, 12:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow great track.
Hoping to upgrade to a layout as elaborate as that once I've finished with my AFX scenery.
Nice to know I'm not the only big kid in Bendigo!

Jim,

Thanks for the comment and your certainly not on your lone ranger in Bendigo there a few I know and have heard of a few more as well. If your ever interested in racing PM me and I can give you details etc the more racing the better (no sheep stations here just fast & furious racing with beer (red wine if necessary) and a lot of sledging.

I've been following your Targa Tasmania track thread (just hadn't commented yet, didn't realise you were in Bendigo) like your scenary build as it looks like a proper job, mine is a lot of lazy short cuts and temporary stuff because I get too distracted with driving cars to devote too much time to scenary building (although I would like to do more)

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
QUOTE (agrojim @ 12 Nov 2010, 15:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think it could be fun getting into racing but I don't even have a car in that scale yet.

No car needed everyone races my cars when they come over because I am the only SSD Digital racer and everyone else has analogue or just comes for the racing. Any damage is fine haven't struck anything a soldering iron & hot glue gun couldn't fix (oh and maybe a bit of wire & epoxy
)

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
QUOTE (raikkonen_webber fan @ 12 Nov 2010, 18:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>its a great track

Thanks raikkonen_webber fan, I guess you'll be watching the F1 this weekend hoping for a Webber victory like the rest of us lot downunder.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
QUOTE (raikkonen_webber fan @ 22 Jan 2011, 20:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>is there any chance of me coming up for a race during this next week of 23 & 30 jan 2011 im dying to race with someone else but my dad

No worries,

Just PM me when your likely to be in town, it will give me a good reason to clean up the shed a bit.

Probably better before the 28th as that is my wedding anniversary and I am trying to plan something that may see us away for that weekend (Friday & Saturday at least).

I am at home all day at the moment so any day during the week is fine.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
It's been a while since posting an update of our track.

About a month ago we did a complete rearrangement of our garage to make more room for table tennis, darts and putting green (the later is yet to be built) to accommodate the needs of the now mostly grown up kids.

The task involved relocating the slot car table, reducing the table size from (6m x 2.5m) to (4.8m x 1.8m), reducing the overall track length from 45m to approx 30m, make the track more permanent and properly wire up as many power taps as I could fit in.

I tried to do a complete make over for the track layout and after trying a few different designs I found myself reverting back to the basic layout of our old larger track.

Whilst the track is now smaller in size & length it actually feels better to drive which really surprised me as I had always been of the "bigger is better" view, I think the fact a car cannot actually get to max speed on the shorter straights adds to the fun and requires more drive skill which adds to the challenge.

It had also been a while since a lot of racing had been done and once we set up the new track it was all guns blazing again with renewed interest and inviting mates over to race.

I have also been able to rig up our old (10 years +) 50 inch plazma telly onto the garage wall as the main RMS screen and complete RikoRocket's high power upgrade mod on the APB.

It's been a busy month and the following video provides a quick update on how the Frog Hollow Raceway looks and races now, I hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/gUGSr9oWXeQ?rel=0

·
Mr. Olufsen
1,212 Posts
Absolutely wonderful video

Thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks for your comments, hopefully I should get some photos up over the weekend once I sort out the issues I am having trying to bulk load images to my Slotforum gallery.

I go though and select all the photos and hit upload and it appears to be working fine but at the end nothing happens.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Here are some updated photos for the revised Frog Hollow Raceway track to go with the updated Video at Post #29.

Whole of Table view with driver stations (although its all wireless now)

A few different Driver eye views

Pit Lane

Overhead View

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Still got that dang crossroads in there - you must be a glutton for punishment

I agree though that shorter tracks can increase the competitive element.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hi Chris,

It was one of the conditions of the boys that the rebuild had to include the crossroad, it is now avoiding a crash on the crossroad that is more fun than the actual crashes.

Although tonight one of the boys had a few mates over which turned into beer and slot races, they actually set up the scaley jump ramp at the crossroad coming down the centre straight just after the over pass, this way you could avoid the crashes by jumping over the intersection.

I will have to post some video of that one day it was insane.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Good thinking!
Be careful when you remove the jump ramp. I acidentally pulled out the track rails as well when I lifted it up, but it was new and a tight fit.

Cheers,
Chris

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Great track Phil. Looks like a lot of fun.... Your answer to avoiding the crashes made me laugh... my lads insisted on a jump too... its seen even less use than the crossroads :)

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
We lost the front ends of a few F1 cars early doors with that jump.

The video below (7 years old now) shows what the boys used to get up to when I wasn't around, not that I would have stopped them, it was exactly the sort of things my mates & I got up to back in the 1970's with our slot car sets.

SLOT CAR JUMPING

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/6cNnm22r8rg?rel=0

21 - 40 of 102 Posts