SlotForum banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Focus has indeed changed , from RCS O2 to RCS NG (next generation), which means it supports oXigen and probably SSD as well, most likely the APB, unless we get access to ARC Pro USB.

When we get to the point that RCS NG supports SSD as well, than we can have a look at the tower again.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Focus has indeed changed , from RCS O2 to RCS NG (next generation)
Great news Minardi , I'll look forward to following the RCS-NG development.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
It's been a while so this is just a quick updated photo, not a lot of change except for the Pit lane and a couple more CLC's.

We are back to regular RCS64 race meetings and having the old Pit entry immediately after a CLC at the 2nd last turn was causing a few issues with cars sliding and pity entry misses.

We now have Pity entry half way down the middle straight and it is single lane until it winds down under the overpass and around the loop and onto the front straight when the 2nd pit lane is positioned in front of the Grand Stand & garages. I have also added some white Pit Entry & Exit lines on the track to assist drivers. I like this extra long Pit Lane especially with the reduced speed via RMS control, it gives a driver time to plan their stop as they are slowly driving to the garages and adds strategy to the racing as to how many stops you make given it is a long drive through.

Our normal monthly races consists of a 20 minute Practice period followed by a 10 lap Qualifying session to set the race grid and 2 x 30 lap sprint races and a 60 lap enduro race for double points.

Last week we held our first teams endurance race with 3 teams of 2 drivers over 1 hour (max driver stints of 60 laps), this proved to be a great hit with the winning team clocking up 264 laps to win by only 2 laps (24 seconds) with pit strategy playing a big part in the result.

There is now more interest in this type of racing and with the Bathurst 1,000 race just run on the weekend I thought I would like to run a scale 1,000 km event, so I took a track piece inventory to work out the exact track length and low and behold, you wouldn't read about it, but our track is exactly 32 metres long
thumbsup.gif
(well that's the outer lane at least and its digital so lane length differences isn't an issue, and to be honest it's not exactly 32 metres, it's actually 32,008 mm long -see table of Track Pieces below- so it's close enough). I think that this is around 105 foot in the old scale.

So I can now call my upcoming event the Frog Hollow 1,000 (that's laps & scale km's) and based on our 1 hour race it should take us just under (or over
blink.png
) 4 hours, really looking forward to this one
dribble.gif
banana.gif

Who knew when I set out on this 1:32 scale car racing that I would end up with a 1:32 scale 1,000km track
thumbsup.gif

gallery_7841_3074_598890.jpg

Frog Follow - Track Pieces Used (excludes pit lane as it is parallel) 12 LC's in total (5 XLC's, 5 CLC's & 2 Pit LC's)
gallery_7841_3074_19576.jpg

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Loved watching a video of you using your track. Do you ever have problems with the xlc in the pitlane, such as slow cars halting on the dead spots.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
PS. I forgot to thank Mr Flippant for his SlotcarWiki post that gave me the curved track piece radius measurements that allowed me to calculate track lengths for the curves.👍

http://slotcarwiki.org/tiki-index.php?page=Scalextric+Sport

Curve Length = (Degree ÷ 360) × (2 × 3.142* × Radius) *3.142 is Pi

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Loved watching a video of you using your track. Do you ever have problems with the xlc in the pitlane, such as slow cars halting on the dead spots.
Hi Mr Slayer, Yep this happens sometimes but as you would have seen in the video it's not excessive and it just needs a quick tap to get going again.

I put the XLC there to avoid double stacking in the pit lane, if you just want a quick splash & dash you don't want to get stuck behind a car with a full on pit stop with fuel, tyres & damage repair etc. 😎

My next track upgrade plan is to try RikoRockets powered flipper mod and then, if I am game enough I will try to take on his Anti-Collision mod. All in good time though I'm not the best solderer so more practice needed I think.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey Billy_Cart,

You're doing my head in with photos of this track, I love your V8 Touring/Supercars, every time I have a look at this, it's onto that auction site I go.

Oh well keeps me off the streets I guess, luckily the minister for finance is a fan as well, although there were a couple of times it was better to ask forgiveness, than for permission.
biggrin.png

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Thanks Mark,

I know it looks a bit messy and it takes newcomers a while to get the directional flow of the track but it does drive well with a nice flow mainly due to the differing corner radius used, long straights to open up on and elevations, undulations etc. Our monthly V8 Supercar racing is going well, I actually finished 4th out of 5 last week so I am starting to lose my home track advantage.

Since that latest photo I have added an "In to Out" CLC to the 2nd last turn and banked the R3 final turn to better allow the front straight to be attacked with a new XLC placed after the banked turn to allow for a last chance overtake and sprint to the S/F line. (this bit works really welll 😁)

I am currently pondering how to make the pit lane 2 lanes all the way round plus incorporate a spare "Out to In" CLC, I think I have figured it out but will have to raise the roundabout loop at the twin bridges so I'll see how that goes soon and if I like it I will post a new pic.

It seems I'm always tinkering with the layout, how's your track build progressing?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah it's getting there Phil, I've finally settled(for now) on the layout, switched to digital recently(ARC Pro) that's a hoot, just want to add two more lane changers, and then I can get to some serious landscaping.

Regards

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Some of the guys at our analogue club and who race at my V8 series have just got an ARC Pro set plus as heap of LC's.

They have the bug for digital and full on race simulations, I am in the progress of setting up Frog Hollow as Oxigen compatible and have bought a few Slot.it Type C chips, installed magnets and downloaded the new RCSO2 RMS.

It works but I am waiting on the SCP3 to go ahead but have tested with the guys SCP2's, next test will be with the ARC Pro wireless controllers as that will provide a cheaper Oxigen option. If my Oxigen setup works OK we might end up with a few Oxigen compatible tracks locally to compete on.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
I am currently pondering how to make the pit lane 2 lanes all the way round plus incorporate a spare "Out to In" CLC, I think I have figured it out but will have to raise the roundabout loop at the twin bridges so I'll see how that goes soon and if I like it I will post a new pic...
Spent some time tinkering with the Pit Lane this weekend to incorporate a full 2 lane pit lane plus an Out to In CLC to provide additional lane changing in pit lane to avoid getting struck behind a car with a long pit stop.

In the process I have also changed the the 2nd last turn from R2 to R3 so it is now R2 into R3 into R3 into front straight.

The round about section at the end of the middle straight has been raised to allow for the 2nd pit lane positioned below it.

I have done 100 laps to see if I like it and so far so good, just have to see what the majority opinion is at our next race night.

Attachments

·
ParrotGod
8,197 Posts
I am amazed that you still have room to add more track ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Wow! Looks good, glad to see you were able to fit it in. You are a master of usage of space. I bet you can pack your whole house up into 2 boxes if you had to....:D. Keep us posted with more pictures...maybe a Vid?:thumbsup:
Hi Primed, if only that were true 😁, I would be able to fit a much larger track into my garage please don't tempt me😎.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
I am amazed that you still have room to add more track ;-)
A bit like developers in cities today, it's all about urban infill. I have to update my track piece spreadsheet (see post #83) now to see if I have added any length. There was a bit of "push & shove" involved to fit the new R3 track and maybe a bit of hot glueing track joints to make things fit. 🤤

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Racing, marshalling and commentating- who says men can't multitask??
That looks like a lot of fun!
Well at the moment there is nowhere to go so we can drink, smoke & punt which is a blokes standard multi-tasking options
lmfao.gif
, although I have given up the smoking & punting
innocent.gif
so this is probably my only multi-tasking activity nowadays.

However all that multi-tasking saw me lose the race, AGAIN
mad.gif
, although seeing I programmed the pace car maybe I can see that as a win
banana.gif
, in that I sought of beat myself
wacko.png

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Great video Billy.

Ill have to set mine up now too!

In these times you may wish to change your name to Billy No Mates! (Just kidding)
Thanks Steve but what's with this "in these times"....
innocent.gif
(just kidding I am lucky to have a few slot car mates down here). Although the good old home made billy cart using pram wheels & apple crates & lots of nails, (very similar to my profile pic) was my first foray into any sort of vehicle racing, down big hills, full pelt with no brakes
yikes.gif
, just about the time I got my first slot car set in the very early 70's. I did have mates back then and 2 had the same set as me and we often combined for some great circuits, I reckon the only reason I would ever want to get onto Facebook would be to track down those 2 mates and invite them around for a race,
thumbsup2.gif

Good luck with your pace cars it certainly adds a new dimension to our racing, especially "in these times"
innocent.gif
biggrin.png

81 - 100 of 102 Posts