SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Guys,

I have a few cars with front wheels that don't always connect with the track. What are the ways to adjust and fix this? I have had a quick search but didn't find the answer. I have a Scalextric Aston which is quite far away and I can't think of a solution myself. If I could just inflate the tyres a little more!

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
hy damo, what your aiming for is maximum slot depth with the wheels just touching the track. there are two ways of doing it. you either take the pickups further up into the car body lowering the car untill the wheels contact the track, or you file the axle carriers downwards to bring the wheels into contact with the track. in both caseses you dont want any wheel rock [up and down movement]. the easiest way to do it is set the car flat on the track[maximum guide depth and wheels just touching] then glue a small piece of plastic above each axle to stop any rock. the better method is to do all of the above, with your axle in a full width of 3/32id brass tube and then glue it in place. you,l have a much better handling car. dont forget to run the front tyres over a small puddle of superglue to coat them so they have no grip. john.

·
Matt Tucker
3,560 Posts
echo what stoner has said, adding that you must ensure the front wheels and tyres are round before setting its height and if you are making them have min grip (varsnish or superglue) do this prior to setting the axle height.

Another product that helps is adjustable axle holders from slotcarcorner, and I have use these as well as the techniques above all with the desired results.

Matt

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the info. The brass tube sounds interesting and a little easier too. Does anyone know of any links or other posts which show this sort of procedure?

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Chaps,

Depending on how fast you want to go......

Having the axle NOT adjustable means you will have to be super critical on your wheel diameters.

I read some where, ....and I believe it. Perhaps someone with some plastic track can do a test, for us.

Anyhow,.... 2 cars identical side by side on a length of track. Except the wheels from one are removed.

Lift the track and watch which one gets to end fastest.

The one with wheels touching track gets to end first.

·
Rich Dumas
3,666 Posts
Whether you run with or without magnets will affect how you would want to setup the front axle ride height. If you run with magnets you will usually be faster if the front tires do not touch the track. If you run without magnets the car will be faster or at least more forgiving if the front tires are firmly on the track. With some cars the guide flag is really what is setting the front ride height, so the front tires may not touch the track unless you fit larger diameter tires. If you want the front tires to touch you can modify the guide flag holder, sand the guide flag to make it thinner or replace it with an aftermarket flag that is thinner. When you run without magnets you want to keep the inside rear wheel from lifting in the corners and having the front tires firmly on the track helps a lot. I use the Slot Car Corner adjustable front axle carriers on a number of my cars and I have found them to be a good investment.

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just hate the thought of cars on track not having the front wheels touching, it doesn't seem right some how. I just had a Fly Lancia Beta turn up in the mail with independant front axles. Some how I just love the thought of it working much like a real car. Not sure why but there you go.
I am about to buy a Dremel so I will start modifying some front axles and will get some of the adjustable axle carriers. I think for me that seems like the right thing to do.

I guess for a home track it doesn't really matter too much but if there is a chance to tinker, I'll take it!

Cheers,
Damo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.