SlotForum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a couple of front engine cars Fly Ferrari GTO & a Revell E type both with a prop shaft to drive the back wheels now not being used to this formation is there anything i can do to turn them into reasonable racers, have taken the mags out as i don't use them added a bit of lead where the mags were and tried them on my Carrera track could be better reasonably quick on the straights but not that good through the bends, or am i wasting my time and should i just admire them in my display case, any tips i could try will be most welcomed Cheers Keith.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I only have an Alfa 156 that has a front engine. Glue the prop shaft bearing or in my case wire it in, then normal tuning a stuff applies. Tires on the GTO look OK. I added weight to the rear to get as close as I could to 50/50 front rear. I do have the FK-130 "Race" motor as it came with the car but still... don't forget you do not have to add weight to the front as the motor it is already there. I squeezed the front stub axles with some pliers to tighten them up. cannot remember if I had to shorten the stub. There are a few ways to replace the stock stub axles if you want to get serious. MBslot I think is one.

I read a review where the body was dropped on the GTO by cutting the mounting posts.

E Type?

·
Alexis Gaitanis
2,398 Posts
This is what i have done with a Fly Ferrari 365 GTB/4

Replacing the front stub axles

We need a piece of brass tube with 1/8 ext dia and 3/32 int dia and a 1/8" drilling bit
We drill the axle carrier holes turning the drilling bit by hand,if it blocks turn it using a set of pliers,never using a dremel.

Multiple applications might be needed until the tube goes trough.We cut 2 pieces of tube of length equal to that of the axle holes
and insert them in the holes.If it is not a tight fit a drop of superglue would be usefull.
Additionally we cut 2 pieces of tube 5mm long
Then we cut 2 pieces of axle of length equal to that of the stub axles we removed
The we solder the 5mm pieces of tube to the axles

All it is left is assembly

Prevent the propshaft from popping

This is the solution using a piece of 1mm lexan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts