SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just thought this might entertain anyone thinking of doing one of George turners Vauxhall firenzas as I’ve never seen one before,and there’s not much I haven’t seen

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
A cracking car, the 'Little Chev' Firenza. There's two of them in the Droop Snoot Group and I've had the pleasure of riding shotgun in one round the Millbrook Hill Route. While it goes like stink, the thing that REALLY gets to you is the sound track. That big V8 seems to spread its noise all round the car, not just out the back. Magic stuff.

George Turner's Firenza is a Droop Snoot (an HP Firenza offcially....) so it's got the wrong nose to make a 'Little Chev', and it'd not be an easy job making a 'Flat Front' for it I suspect.

I'm minded to do a Snoot though, but I am slightly biased..... ;)

·
Jim Moyes
5,019 Posts
Find a Magnum and you've got a Flat Front Firenza......................
Isn't a Magnum a 2-door saloon, rather than a coupe shell? Trevor's pictured car has a very different rear quarter window to the Firenza in the earlier post.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
My first car was a 1972 Pontiac Firenza similar to the the first photo. All 2-liters of it... in a row I might add!

Had I known it came with a 302 Z-28 motor? I might have had more respect for the car and kept it. And beat the pants off a few muscle cars.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Magnums came in 2 and 4 door variants with the flat front. Think there’s also a variant using the coupe body. Main difference aside from the droop snoot was the interior which was a fraction posher. At one point I had a two door and my father had a 4. Very useful when working on the car, if I couldn’t figure out how things went back together, I took his apart.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The white one looks more like a viva hc than a firenza buy the shape of the rear quarter window

·
Registered
526 Posts
Magnums came in 2 and 4 door variants with the flat front. Think there’s also a variant using the coupe body. Main difference aside from the droop snoot was the interior which was a fraction posher. At one point I had a two door and my father had a 4. Very useful when working on the car, if I couldn’t figure out how things went back together, I took his apart.
The Magnum and the last Viva (the 'HC' model) had the same body.

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
Another Vauxhall advertisement, also from 1974. As time goes on, it's easy to forget this important branch of motoring publishing.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Magnums and Firenzas came in ALL variants of the HC body, 2 door, 4 door, Coupe and Estate. To confuse the issue even more, there was a 2 door Droop Snoot Estate, the very rare (there were only 197 of them...) Sport Hatch, which came in a very dark purple with two thick red stripes all the way round the body at bumper height and ret trim. They also had tartan trim inside, before the HS Chevette with its similar trim.

I had a Sports Hatch for many years, until a tree fell on it, boo hoo. :(

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
Apologies for straying from the topic but, as we're on the rare subject of Vauxhall, I've just found an old programme from an agreeable day at Brands years agooo...

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Been looking for a Vauxhall Magnum shell to do this one 😁

View attachment 276557
:)

That's the 'JPS', the John Pope Special, a Magnum coupe with an Aston Martin V8, twin turbo'd in recent years! Big Gerry used to drive it a while ago.

Oddly there's a pic of it in today's Autosport as it's just competed in the Wolfstones Hillclimb after many years not being driven.

The driver reckons it '....handles like a trolley jack...' at the moment.

·
Jim Moyes
5,019 Posts
I need to see evidence of a Vauxhall Firenza in any other body style than coupe. Or did you mean Magnums and Vivas came in all body flavours, Kit?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts