SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Gary Skipp
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspiration from Jonny's Holy Grail thread........

What do you think, on todays market, will be a highly desirable car to have in your collection in say, thrity years time?

NewMan 956 I reckon.

Wouldn't put it past a few of the sport cars either, maybe the german GT40?

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
A fine question. I nthink anything to do with a certain German driver may feature, certainly the cars arev rare enough. I`ve seen so many Pro Slot ferarri F 1 cars raced to destruction there cannot be that many left in good condition.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Very few I would imagine as so many are bought and kept as "appreciating assets".

What will be worth money are the ones no one wants, have a limited run and most get played and wrecked. Yes, that's correct - the new Boxster and TT are the future classics.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Damn I am one of those who raced my Proslot Ferrari into the ground. I am sure there are some tattered bits and pieces somewhere!

Won't it be frustrating if in 30 years ebay is selling that car 'I used to own' for a fortune.

I guess if we knew what the classics were going to be in the future we would all buy them! Then they wouldn't be so desirable and something else would be and...........

JS

·
John Roche
4,240 Posts
QUOTE Won't it be frustrating if in 30 years ebay is selling that car 'I used to own' for a fortune

It's happening to some of us now, both slots & diecast, but it would have been so sad if we'd kept them all and not played with them.

John

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Its not a dilema for Jonny if he purchases two of each car!

The only thing for certain is that in the UK, Scalextric cars will be the most cherished in 30 years time because those are the cars that will bring back the most sentimental memories for todays youngsters.

Any other make in the UK and you can forget it. They will not be as collectable as they will not be part of a sentiment driven market.

Given of course that folk are still playimg with slot cars at home in 30-40 years!

However, thinking about it, this has not stopped the fact that there is a strong collector market for Meccano (metal not plastic) and Bayko and even Minic, even though these are no longer around.

Cheers
Moped

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
And I speak from the experiance I have had in the toy collecting world.

Model railways have for a very long time had a number of manufacturers supplying a pent up demand for you trains over the years and in the current collector market Hornby product continues to be the most collectable in the UK over and above Airfix, Mainline, Palitoy and other model railway brands that have come and gone. The only real exception to this is Wrenn but even they are really Hornby by another name and Wrenn production numbers were very limited indeed.

So there is a large amount of historic evidence to back up the earlier comment.

Cheers
Moped

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Whilst the "Starsky and Hutch" set has potential it is already appealing to the fond memories of adults and todays kids don't really know who Starsky and Hutch are so it may or may not be as collectible as some folk believe by 2040.

The Carrera "James Bond" set has more potential but not especially so in the UK, only in Germany where there is a historic brand following. The brand has not yet fully established itself in the USA and as a European company it is unlikely to win the hearts of future USA collectors.

I would go with "The Simpsons Scalextric". That will be highly collectable in 30 years time as "The Simpsons" will have a new generation following it and it is likely to remain a strong franchise.

Cheers
Moped

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
I am, but I 'd rather he didn't post than wind people up or have me and the others running all over the board deleting stuff.

Or are you saying you enjoy his, er, contributions?

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Got to agree with everything Moped said !

THe Simpsons will be highly collectable and add the the Moto GP to that.

Also, from a couple of years ago the Scalextric Protec cars.

In other words, anything that is not wanted now, when new, will be the collectables of tomorrow

Just look at 1/24 Scalextric, no one wanted this when new, so much so that Triang had to dump truck loads of the stuff when they moved from Havant to Margate!

Other than that I really don't know, wish I did

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thank you Phil. Its nice to know somebody understands!

The thing is "The Simpsons Scalextric" is one of Hornby's best selling lines. Its just that there will not be too many that survive the carnage intact.

It might be worth snapping up the first of the Scalextric digital stuff and putting that away as that will almost certainly have value in 30 years time whatever happens. My only comment though would be that systems move on and whilst digital slot car racing will still be around, the current mode of operation probably won't be.

Cheers
Moped

1 - 20 of 37 Posts