SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so after looking around the inter-web I reckon this is the stuff I can air brush straight onto my decal finished cars to seal them in and make them shiny.

Previously known as Future or Klear - Johnsons bought the formula and make it now, apparently.

BUT where can you buy Johnsons revive it Floor Gloss in the UK?
Automotive lighting Rectangle Font Art Line

Amazon are all out, has anyone spotted any in particular chain stores?

Do tell.

Thanks
Max

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Think you will find this is the latest version

Liquid Personal care Fluid Bottle cap Service

However I don't think the formula is the same as the original Klear as the EU restricted the use of some of the chemicals in it so you would need to do some tests first. I believe the US version is still the same as, or very close to, the original Klear. Best bet is to do a search on some of the sites for model aircraft kit builders as it was always the main canopy restorer.

·
ParrotGod
11,980 Posts
If you want to spray through your airbrush then why not trying some of the MrHobby clears? They are excellent.
Pledge is ideal for people that need to use a brush and do not want to spray.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Most may already be aware, but the best starting point I find in determining the "ingredients" in the majority of materials for sale for use in the home but which also may be used in the workplace, and more significantly if their formulations have changed, is the product manufacturers MSDS or Material Safety Data Sheet or SDS.

If you go to the manufacturers interwebbs site, and search for "Safety Data Sheet - product name", you will usually be able to locate the SDS document (pdf) for the product you are looking for in the country in which you are located and/or purchased the product.
If you are unable to locate one or you are looking for an older version for your 10 year old stock of "Klear", a polite email request on said manufacturers contact page may yield results.

One benefit from obtaining and looking at SDS's from the manufacturer for example Johnson's Klear or the newer Pledge floor polish etc is you will be able to see the Ingredients listed and determine yourself if the formulation is the same or has in fact changed or been revised, removing any ambiguity.

·
Rich Dumas
4,334 Posts
SC Johnson has always been the maker of this product, it was originally developed as a finish for vinyl floors, I believe. When I bought some Pattos decals many years ago he recommended coating them with Future.
For the most part shiny vinyl floors have gone out of style, so I expect that the demand for Future dropped. Johnson re-named the product several times and also used different names for it in different markets. I believe that the product, whatever you might call it, has finally been discontinued, but clones of it may still be available.
Years ago, I had a sample of Future analyzed, here are the results.
"Future” was analyzed by NMR and determined to be an acrylic acid/styrene copolymer with a mixture of short chain ethoxylated alcohols. GC/MS analysis of the volatile portion of the product confirmed the presence of the ethoxylates. As is common with products of this sort there is some ammonia present to prevent cross linking.
The product was stripped and found to be 25% non-volatiles."
At that time we were not looking to produce a clone of Future, so a more detailed analysis was not done to get more specific information about the copolymer structure. No manufacturer wants competitors to sell cheap clones of their products and would be reluctant to divulge the exact nature of their formulation in an MSDS or similar document.

·
Rich Dumas
4,334 Posts
I did a little research and found that SC Johnson still sells a professional version of the product. The MSDS lists the polymer part of the product simply as "proprietary". The smallest available size is 1 gallon, 3.8 liters.

·
Gordon Steadman
7,128 Posts
I just received the bottle of 'Pliz'!! Used a baby bud on a couple of old bodies as a test. Not bad at all, It dries almost straight away and I could polish with a duster after about five minutes. The glazing on the Ferrari seems OK too.

At around 5€ a litre it seems good value too. I saw in our local supermarket that they do a spray as well. Probably try that as well. Not sure if it's actually as good as Klear but it seems good enough to me. I'll try it on something more precious later.

Automotive tire Tire Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

I suppose the real test will be how it behaves with fresh decals.

·
Gordon Steadman
7,128 Posts
Tried a few now and I reckon this stuff is about as good as Klear. Not quite so shiny which is an advantage I think. What is surprising is how easily it goes on. The open sports car was dipped but the other three were just baby budded! It levels off and shows no obvious marks at all. Available at out local supermarket. I assume they do the same stuff in the UK no doubt with a different name!

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts