SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I was discussing motor options with BSN last night and he was saying that Scalex are trying to make a hytbrid of a fully blown model and a performance car.

We thought that is cant happen, and will probably send Scalex back into the mid 90's again get left behind etc etc etc.

So I propose to you, would you prefer to have a car with an inline motor without a coupling and sacrifice some of the interior?

I know I would and I know BSN would, so c'mon lets hear your thoughts on this.

Rob.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
I like driveshafts
I like detail
I like to race, but I'm not obsessed by it
If I race, I race against other cars of the same type.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I think if you're paying £25+ for a car, it has to look good. I would prefer scalextric to make cars with a good interior and a sidewinder motor then a poor interior and a inline motor. Saying this though, when you look at the autoart subaru, they have done a good job with the interior (although not having a full length driver), and have managed to fit a 4wd inline motor.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you look, I never said that the interior had to be sacrificed at all. A good interior can still be used, weigh it up, and I believe the inline motors are better, OR make me an anglewinder

both good points yes, but variation is nice and front motored ccars are useless without a mag generally

Rob.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I have rather mixed thoughts on this subject.
First of all, I think Scalextric ARE making an excellent job of providing cars that both look good and perform extremely well. In this context, 'performance' includes ability to perform straight out of the box and reliability over the long term. I don't think any other manufacturer is their superior on any count - OVERALL.

If a balance has to be struck between performance and looks, I am very clear that I would favour performance. Particularly with regard to an interior that is virtually never seen, I would resent paying over the odds for such detail if I though it were at the expense of a decent chassis, complete with good motor and drive-train.

I rather like front motored cars, but Inte is correct in saying that they can only run reasonably comepetitively courtesy of traction mags. Which brings me to a pet subject - I REALLY want cars that are designed, from the outset, to run reasonably without a magnet at all. If they can run without a mag, they will run all the better with one. WITHOUT is the base line though - of that I have no doubt. It's a lot easier to pop a magnet into a good running car than to make a poor runner run well after removing its magnet!

Although I, like thousands of others, have been seduced into buying slot cars simply becaus they were exquisitely detailed and finished - inevitably, I find myself unwilling to actually race them for fear of damage. I almost always regret these purchases later on, when I realize that I could have bought either better racers or improved some that I already have with the money.

My, now quite old, suggestion to enterprising manufacturers is to consider making available both a 'racing' body and a 'collector' body for at least some of the cars. This would cover the requirements of both racers AND collectors. It seems like such a sensible idea, that I can't quite figure out what is wrong with it!
There has to be something fundamentally wrong that it hasn't been tried already!
Or maybe it has?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Personaly if the 1:1 car is rear engined then a sidewinder is okay. Likewise if the 1:1 car is front engined and rear wheel drive, then my 1/32 no matter who makes it should be the same and yes i to would be prepared to tolerate a reduction in interior detail.
if the 1:1 car is front engined and front wheel drive then i suppose it doesn't really matter where the motor on the 1/32 is. I am old enough to remeber those little front wheel drive 1/32 cars that really didn't go very well.

As for the performance of front or rear motored slots i too almost exclusivly race like for like so it's not really an issue.

I also agree that the slot cars that we pay hard earned for should perform well out of the box without magnets. I guessing that it's cheaper for the manufacture to put a big magnet in the car to hide a magnitude of sins than it is to build a car thats going to be smooht and quick withou a mag straight from the box.

Wayneslot

·
Registered
773 Posts
...make them sidewinders or anglewinders - and offer different gear-sets to change the ratio. don't go back to inliners - performance is always lower...

·
Registered
714 Posts
I really don't like angle-winders.
They are 'neither fish nor fowl' mongrels, devized only to enable motors that were too bulky to make contact between the gears in a proper sidewinder configuration!
I hate the assymetric look of them and the assymetric cornering too.

Sidewinders are very nice, but do have some problem areas when it comes to changes of gearing. Unlike in-lines, where there is a huge range of ratios available without ANY meshing problems at all, side-winders demand that the distance betweeen motor and driven axle is precisely correct for the gears in use, with the exception of Slot.it's very clever tooth geometry which I must confess I do not clearly understand, although it apparently does work. I would love to see a sidewinder chassis with adjustable motor mounts that would allow the motor to be accurately slid back and forth to permit easy fitment of a variety of different diameter gears. Even using Slot.it's system, I don't think there are any driven gears smaller than around 19mm which eliminates a lot of cars that could otherwise be side-winder drive.

One more point about side-winders - they are more tail heavy than inlines which is positively great for traction, But when they DO let go, they are far less easy to correct because of the extra weight. So, nothing is perfect, unfortunately!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
actually, anglewinders are preferred when racing with large power motors, something todo with grip etc etc, I cant remember fully but the motor would spin and under accel or something more grip would be on one wheel or the chassis would become unbalenced etc..

like i say I'm not sure.. ask Fate, Grah or Larry they'll hopefully know

Rob.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm with Wayneslot...

An L88 with a motor in the rear would be blaspheme! I cried a little after the Trans Am cars... I don't want to cry like that ever again!

If it came front motored (Vette) then so should the slot. If rear motored (Porsche GT3) then so should the slot.

Thomas said: don't go back to inliners - performance is always lower..

I grimaced a little on that one. Performance is different as it should be if the intent is to replicate a 1:1 car. Porsches do not handle like Corvettes. If the desire of some is to have all cars handle in the exact same fashion then more power to them. I however appreciate the differences and wouldn't find it very satisfying if the only thing unique about all of my cars was the body sitting on it.

How come no one has mentioned mid-engined/rear inline cars? Caddy LMP anyone?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats what this whole topic is about, who would prefer to have a chassis like the LMP's!!! instead of SW's and front engines!!!

Rob.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE An L88 with a motor in the rear would be blaspheme! I cried a little after the Trans Am cars... I don't want to cry like that ever again!
I really empathise with this!
I like racing and the Transams are great, but this just seems all WRONG!

In response to Inte - I can't see ANY inherent advantage to an anglewinder.
Really, I think Meco is right. It's just the closest they could get some fat-assed motors towards a true sidewinder configuration and I dont like them either.
Sure, the Ninco has to be an angle winder because the motor is too long to fit as a true side-winder?

·
Registered
67 Posts
That point escaped me in the read....

Still have to stick with my original thoughts. The Caddy LMPs, IRL Dallaras, MG Lolas etc, are rear/mid engine with in line drive transmisions in real life. I like that they are modeled that way as a slot.

None of those really sacrifice any interior though because of it. And cars like the IRL would be impossible to model as a side or angle winder.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE The Caddy LMPs, IRL Dallaras, MG Lolas etc, are rear/mid engine with in line drive transmisions in real life. I like that they are modeled that way as a slot.

Yep!
Me too.
One day, I am going to build a front motored Mini with front-wheel drive and side-winder transmission. Steering could be a problem!
I don't CARE if it runs like a three-legged dog with haemerrhoids!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Prof. Fate could answer this better than me, but I have to agree with Thomas. All other factors being equal, a sidewinder will beat an inline any day of the week, and has been proven consistently since, what, 1967? Transfer of power is more effective, downforce is maximized due to weight being close to the drive axle and cornering is more consistent (thus making the car easier to drive) with S/W rather than inline arrangement. This is esp. noticeable when running without magnets on tight circuits. Due to the perpendicular gear arrangement of inlines, motor torque will tend to lift the inside rear wheel when turning hard left. Not a nice characteristic. Sidewinders don't suffer from this trait and can be driven more or less the same regardless of corner direction. That is not to say all cars should therefore be sidewinders. Given my preference for vintage cars with relatively narrow bodies, I probably have more inlines than sidewinders in my collection. I also value a variety of handling characteristics in my cars, and am certainly NOT a serious racer. But if there was room for it, and I was trying to win a race, a side or anglewinder would be the only choice.

I personally do not see a full interior as an absolute requirement, nor do I see the need to have front-engined 1/1 cars replicated with motors up front. It can be done effectively of course, even without resorting to magnets, but I don't see the point other than to accommodate the aforementioned unnecessary full interior. Slot cars do not handle like real cars, and trying to correlate the placement of a huge and heavy (relatively speaking) electric motor in a slot car with its real life counterpart seems silly to me unless body dimensions dictate it. But hey, just my opinion.

mp

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
I must admit that I am a bit of a jekll and hyde builder Building both detaled and out right racing models I think it is great that companys like Fly have caters for the racer by intoducing the racer model to there range ,when I prep a race car if the rules allow the first thing I junk is the interior in favour of a lighter one ,like wise the windows again infavour of lighter ones,If any on can see your detailed interior as you fly round the track then your going too slow,Dont get me wrong I love the detail on the latest scalex cars but when you race it seems a waste to me models like this are great for on the shelf /ocasional running but soon get trashsed when racing So carry on making the detailed models I'll still buy them but give us a couple of out and out racers now and again ,Slotcars are for racing not just for xmas,
Graham

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE All other factors being equal, a sidewinder will beat an inline any day of the week, and has been proven consistently since, what, 1967

right then, so er, out of the enduro last week that Swiss and BSN raced in, which car won inline or sidewinder? I believe it was an inline?

Rob.

p.s and how successful was the R8 in 24hr enduros and why do enduro racers use inlines?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
The 1/24 guys use sidewinders pretty well exclusively for all heavy duty stuff.
But the problems of gear matching are not so great with the larger scale.
I think everything becomes a little more accessible and not quite so 'fiddly'

1 - 20 of 30 Posts