·
Peter Christie
1,817 Posts
looks good lee, real pro like

·
Lee Beswick
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I forgot to mention that...I put the pictures up that were kindly donated by Ian
and put a bit on the news page.

Next 'week 14' is August 18th....do we really want to leave it that long?

·
Peter Christie
1,817 Posts
why not route a new section to link G & g, then ask steve hills to add bluetooth to the controllers to aid transition from one driver podium to the other

·
Paul 'Cookie' Cook
529 Posts
Yeah but the one member who can't get grip is happy to wait the 14 weeks til the grip magically appears! I thought it was just dust on the track - didn't realise it was magic pixie dust!!

How about one season on g and then the next season on G - with different classes on both to keep the interests up?? I know it will get shot down in flames, but its just a thought.

·
Peter Christie
1,817 Posts
already been whispered between regulars cookie, perhaps not the full 13 weeks on big G though. Most of us need slot it races to help our 'challenge' prep.

·
Paul 'Cookie' Cook
529 Posts
Can we stop saying we need run on G to prep for the SIC, you've all done a round or 2, got a couple of sets of tyres and a car thats working - now sit back and enjoy the series. Yes run a new set of tyres in, but you can do that on an oval at home with a hornby model railway controller and a couple of hours.

Running SIC cars at Gainsboro won't help you go any quicker anywhere else with a SIC car, anymore than running any other make or type of slot car. All you need to do is run slot it tyres - on any car and learn how they work. All the work you do on your SIC car at gainsboro could be going in the complete wrong direction for the next track your racing at, any development work you do at G will only help you go faster at G - thats what practice saturdays are all about on the SIC, to learn the tracks and the set ups for each track, as each one is soo different.

The only way you improve in the SIC is to run for a couple of seasons, learn the tracks and watch the top drivers and learn the tricks of the trade for each track and what set ups work for each track - you won't discover no new tricks or something the others don't know, soo learn from them - its the easy and the only way to do it.

Can G please not just turn into a SIC track, yes it can be a class, but don't let it dominate the track, open it up to other cars and have some fun. Don't get carried away with SIC, see slot racing as fun and enjoy everything about it, not just one type of car and class! For example - F1's around G would be great, so would proper saloons.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the SIC and if time would allow me and dad was still here, soo i didn't have to restore and run heaps of steam powered scrap metal, I would be racing it again this year and travelling all over, BUT PLEASE DON'T LET THE SERIES TAKE OVER THE CLUB - look at the broader picture.

I don't want to have 13 weeks of SIC cars - 13 weeks of the 4 current classes on g, followed by 13 weeks of 4 different new classes G (* EDIT - and of you choose to run GT then you can run SIC in and not be off the pace), with SIC night on the 14th week. It would just shake things up a little bit and bring some fresh toys and racing into the club and use both tracks to the full potential. That way g and G both get used, and if you don't like one of the tracks, then you know you'll get the same amount of time on your favoured track in the not too distant future. The club has 2 tracks, may aswell give both the same amount of exposure.

Sorry for my ramble, but the Hacienda is in sight - as Tony Wilson said, build it and they will come

·
Ian
10,487 Posts
Actually Cookie not quite the case...

That's what practice saturdays are all about on the SIC, to learn the tracks and the set ups for each track, as each one is soo different - Says the man who never changed a thing for any track!

Part of any form of racing is getting to know the car, if you only use 14 days a year how on earth are you going to get to know your car! By using big G for Slot.it racing it will give us the opportunity to understand what makes it go better or worse! This opportunity is what the main players have and we simply don't get racing on little g all the time.

Don't get me wrong I understand exactly where you are coming from "One brand racing" would not be my idea of fun either, but big track racing and "g" open racing are So different we have a lot to learn.

·
Paul 'Cookie' Cook
529 Posts
Ian, there was no need to change anything, I still managed to beat you each time I raced - if you or Lee were quicker than me I would of changed something

The SIC car isn't some magical beast, its the same as any other slot car. The likes of nic, shaun and the rest of the SIC top boys, are quick with any type of slot car. Its knowing the basics and being able to do them well that makes the different - and being a stupidly quick and controlled driver helps too! There's very few secrets in car set up that you, and most of us, don't know. The tyres are the bits that make a big difference and the bits we all need to learn that would help improve our speed at these events.

And as i said (and as I said a while ago in the other thread), if a GT class was run, a SIC car could be run by the people that want to and it would be just as much on the pace as a mosler or anything else that others could race if they wanted to.

And as for open racing on g and big track racing being different - no they're not, they're exactly the same things - just on different tracks. The basic principles are the same - they're the same for all types of slot car racing, be that hard body plastic, BSRCA or slot stox - the simple stuff is the same for each, its just the fine tuning and how do them with each that differs.

·
Ian
10,487 Posts
I still managed to beat you each time I raced True! So did nearly everyone else, which is my point, some of us take a little more time to understand these things, and for me that means practice practice practice! I guess I need to practice it's an age thing!

Again as you say it's all in the tyres, but I don't use Slot.it tyres, I only get to use them for the SIC weekends how am I ever going to learn what's right for me if every track I visit is different. My tyres are never going to be perfect for the job once I've learnt how to create the perfect tyres (for me) then I can learn just what changes I need to make to meet the demands of the individual tracks concerned.

It will also give us the opportunity to experiment prior to a race weekends, I have some F15s at last so I'll now be able to experiment with those well before I even get to a SIC track for which they may just be the perfect option tyre of the day! We can't do that on little g ever!

But that said you know as well as I do it doesn't matter what I say, or what you say, because the truth is there are others who have a say in what goes on at the club. I can't see their opinions changing.

The only way I personally can see G being used on a regular basis, is if an alternative night could be found to use it on. But that stumps me as I have long established Thursday night is my race night. Even my working week is scheduled around this affecting not just me but my co-workers too.

Running both tracks on the same night as two separate parts of the club, insufficient members so that'll never happen…

I think we are all talking here hypothetically because some things are always going to be the same.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.