Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Following on from the success of the Pendles and Hawthornes Trans Am events, it is with pleasure that G-Slot can announce our own round of the series on our soon to be refurbished 'big track'!

Rules will be on the same lines as the previous events

Prices per class to be confirmed but will be in line with the current costs seen at most weekend events.

Numbers may have to be limited to 24 or so (assuming we get that much interest)!

The track is our 'Big G', a 4 lane wooden routed with non mag braid and a semi gloss finish.

We are looking into accommodation possibilities and these will be posted up when we have done a bit more homework. Gainsboro has quite a few 'digs' but these are generally taken by contractors working at the numerous power stations close by, and to be fair are possibly a bit low rent!

I have found a couple of nice hotels in Gainsboro but they only have a few rooms and not with many twins. I will phone them to see if they would do a block booking and alter rooms configurations to suit.

This is where the track is in Gainsboro....sorry I couldn't fathom out how to embed the map.(DN21 2LW for reference.)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=bradleys+w...ingdom&z=16

Wider view of the area

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll...mp;t=m&z=10

It is probably about 35 minutes from the A1 at Blyth, similar from the M180 (the latter links nicely with the M62)

Please voice your interest and we will try to make this a regular addition to the Trans Am calendar!

Thanks

All at G Slot

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Hi jimk04,
Can I be the first to book an entry please?
Delighted that Gainsborough have decided to join the Classic racing fraternity, I been trying to talk Chris into holding a meeting for several years.

Could I also respectfully request that you allow Trans-Am cars built to CSCRA standards to race as well?
There are many more of them out there than there are cars built to the 'Pendle' rules which could well increase your entry significantly.
The main difference is the ground clearance rule - 2.0mm at Pendle (probably because they have magnabraid) but 1.5mm for CSCRA events.
Whilst this may seem insignificant, increasing the ground clearance on an existing car is often impossible due to wheel arch interferance, but reducing the clearance if desired is usually relatively simple.
Events for Trans-Am cars to CSCRA standards have been run at Dudley, Oaklands Park, Netley, North London, Norwich Slot Racing, Rockingham/Wellingborough and Yorkley over the past few years.
Link to the CSCRA website at the bottom of this post.

Cheers.
PS. I do have a Trans-Am with 2mm clearance so want an entry whatever your decision.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Hi Jim.
I will look to do this event as well. I don't think there is a date clash with any other 'major' meeting at this stage, always good to book your events nice and early!
I would second ****'s request for CRCRA rules, please.
I will follow this thread with interest, details of the track will be very welcome when its all completed.
Kind regards Bill.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response so far!

Nic Hirst came up with the date as he has an inside view on the dates already booked for next year, so he has found us a date that doesnt clash.

We hope to do many more events on the 'classic' style, amongst others I am sure....Slot Its, 24th, etc have all been talked about.

Regarding the rules for the cars to the CSCRA regs, I have to plead ignorance here as I am not familiar with them, but I will talk with the others at the club. I'm sure it wont be a problem, but dont quote me on that....I will confirm!

So far then I think the list will be

James Robertson
Archie Davis
Chris Adams
Lee Beswick
Ian Bielby
Lee Bielby
Peter Christie
Moe Walker (?)
**** Kerr
Bill Charters
David 'justDave' - sorry I dont know your surname

I ought to have mentioned that we intend to run the Over 2 litre class, Under 2 Litre class, and a standard class for out of the box cars such as Scaley, SCX, Pioneer etc. The standard class will allow minor tweaking to make the cars driveable - such as gluing and truing rear tyres, adding lead, changing the braids and body screws, and removing any DPR gubbins.

Jim

·
Phil Clayton
879 Posts
Jim, count me in so long as it doesn't clash with the BTCC at Oulton Park (real races always come first for me).

As you know, although we (Hawthorne Park) ostensibly ran to Pendle's 2mm ride height rule I was a bit more flexible and allowed between 1.7(ish)mm and 2mm.
I think this avoids the custom car "slammed" look you can get when the ride height is set too low.
It's a difficult thing to balance and is always in the eye of the beholder. I'm a big believer in what looks right, is right!

Ultimately Jim, you and the guys at Gainsboro set the agenda and that's as it should be.

I'll let you know about an entry once I've checked the 2013 race calendar.

Cheers!

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Thanks Phil, name added!

James Robertson
Archie Davis
Chris Adams
Lee Beswick
Ian Bielby
Lee Bielby
Peter Christie
Moe Walker (?)
**** Kerr
Bill Charters
David 'justDave' - sorry I dont know your surname
Phil Clayton - provisional

·
Ian
99 Posts
Well done Jim, talk about while the cats away! Anyway I have had a chat with Nic and there is a possibility that the rules will be slightly altered for 2013 and yes the 1.5mm ride height is looking likely to be set as the standard I can see that will bring a few smiles all-round. Wow and really good to see interest already

·
Paul 'Cookie' Cook
564 Posts
Oh go on then, I'll have a space please. May give me a reason to get back into this slot car racing malarkey - I always said I'd support the big track, so here goes, let's see what all this fuss is about!

See you all soon

Cookie

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hi Jim, I'm in the same boat as Phil, dates permitting, I would love to do it.

With regards to the rules re. ride height... We did not want to be too strict and the feel for our trans am event last the weekend was that of a relaxed meeting. (Also don't forget that cars that ride too low on our track would end up smashing into the humpback bridge
)

I would not oppose a switch to the CSCRA rules, but I don't mind sticking with the pendle rules as some very close racing is possible with cars at that spec.

Jake

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
James Robertson
Archie Davis
Chris Adams
Lee Beswick
Ian Bielby
Lee Bielby
Peter Christie
Moe Walker (?)
**** Kerr
Bill Charters
David Collins
Phil Clayton - provisional
DaveKp
Jake D'Arcy (provisional)
Paul Cook

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Hi there Jim...

Could you please put my name down for all three classes for this event... Thank you..

Look forward to racing on the Big G track, it looks great..

All the best.. Martin De'Ath.

·
John Roche
4,155 Posts
I would have really liked to join you but unfortunately the date clashes with the Bordeaux vintage meeting. Hopefully next time and good luck with your first event.

Cheers

John

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
QUOTE (**** Kerr @ 22 Sep 2012, 12:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi jimk04,
Can I be the first to book an entry please?
Delighted that Gainsborough have decided to join the Classic racing fraternity, I been trying to talk Chris into holding a meeting for several years.

Could I also respectfully request that you allow Trans-Am cars built to CSCRA standards to race as well?
There are many more of them out there than there are cars built to the 'Pendle' rules which could well increase your entry significantly.
The main difference is the ground clearance rule - 2.0mm at Pendle (probably because they have magnabraid) but 1.5mm for CSCRA events.
Whilst this may seem insignificant, increasing the ground clearance on an existing car is often impossible due to wheel arch interferance, but reducing the clearance if desired is usually relatively simple.
Events for Trans-Am cars to CSCRA standards have been run at Dudley, Oaklands Park, Netley, North London, Norwich Slot Racing, Rockingham/Wellingborough and Yorkley over the past few years.
Link to the CSCRA website at the bottom of this post.

Cheers.
PS. I do have a Trans-Am with 2mm clearance so want an entry whatever your decision.

The Rules for 2013 have already been changed to 1.5mm for O2 and 1mm for U2 cars. The rest of the rules will pretty much remain the same as this years round at Pendle. We should try and keep the same rules for Pendle, Hawthorne and Gainsborough as it will keep it consistent allowing you to run cars at all three venues.

Although its a little early to know what im doing next June please could you add the following drivers. I will confirm these as and when I have spoke to them.

Nic Hirst
Neil Hirst
Paul Cash
Mark Brandwood
Rob Mason
Harry Smales
Gary Smales
Bryan King

Please note that the Pendle Round of the Trans Am is Confirmed for April 6th and 7th. I will post Rules and Details a bit nearer the time when all is confirmed but please make a note of the date.

Regards
Nic

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Hi,

I would like to enter all three classes please and would prefer to pay closer to the event when a fuller 2013 calender is available and there MIGHT just be a clash with something else.

Take Care

**** L

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
QUOTE GetSlotted Posted Today, 08:33 AM
Please note that the Pendle Round of the Trans Am is Confirmed for April 6th and 7th. I will post Rules and Details a bit nearer the time when all is confirmed but please make a note of the date.
That's a shame.
It's the same date as the 'Double Trouble' vintage meeting at Rockingham and as I'll have to be there to run it I guess it will be yet another year that I won't get to race at Pendle.
Cheers.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts