SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned in another thread that I'm building an integration between the CRM software we make and the SSD c7042. This to be a fun event to attract people to our booth at a convention in San Francisco next week. I've now got everything I need to pull off the integration and am about half way done with the code. I'm using a cable from RichG and the PC Lap Counter software. However, I'm finding the learning curve to keep the car on the track to be too great for it to work well with first time users. I'm looking for some advice for how I should format the game to make it both fun and easy to play.

We don't want cars flying out of our booth, cars breaking, or to constantly be breaking up the play to get the cars back on the track. If I limit the max speed to 41% then it is easy to keep the car on the track, however, it's not quite fun if all you do is hold the controller all the way down for the race, no real sense of control. So I'm trying to think of a game that involves a mix of chance and skill but still doesn't allow for the cars to go fast enough to get tossed.

I think I've come up with a potential game, but I'd like to see if anyone has any better ideas. What I did was set the max speed for two cars to 41% (with throttle settings of 0 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24 26 27 63) and then I put three pace cars on the track that are all set to have a pace car setting of 21 (out of 63) so the pace cars run about 15-20% slower than the two racing cars. I lineup the two race cars at the starting line, but I space the pace cars evenly on the track (one right behind the two race cars, then one about 1/3 of the track back and the other another 1/3 of the track back). The pace cars are set to randomly change lanes.

So the objective becomes to change lanes to get around the slower pace cars. It is a mix of skill and luck (skill being to plan out your lane changes and execute them and luck being that the pace car may cut you off or make the same lane change right before you). It's not quite as much fun as full-skill racing, but it's the best alternative I've come up with so far.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
That would be a fun event

It gives them a taste of racing, but without having to learn, to drive the track too much.

From my own experience, I can say that the more experienced slotters, like to learn to drive a track.
But everyone loves racing, and the track does not have to be complex, to have a good race.

Some of the best races I have had, have been on our "simple" Oval, and when it has gone out to a friends party, it was a greatly enjoyed by everyone.

Michael

·
Greg Gaub
15,413 Posts
I think that's a pretty good way to make use of the digital technology while not requiring the players to be good (or get good quickly) at slot racing, without also being boring. Be sure to have a few spare cars on hand, and spend a few minutes properly lubricating all the cars and sanding their tires a little before the event. If you can get the time, run all the cars around the planned layout, finding their fastest fixed-speed pace car setting, and rate them in that order, giving the best ones to the players. You'll also want to play with the various power levels, holding the throttle at full while changing lanes, to determine which are most likely to stay on and at what power level. Don't forget to calibrate controllers.
Lots to do, but I'm sure it will be a fun time. Even though you're planning for cars to stay on track, fences of some kind for the occasional collision are a good idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts