SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Thanks for the advice in the other thread re. circuit. I am going to road-test something along the lines of

I now have all the track parts to make it, but need to make space, and a table thing in the garage.

the garage with wood from B&Q

So - into the garden to start building 2 table tops that will bolt together:

Frame being built out of 1"x2" and 2"x2" timber with a 6mm ply top

Suddenly wondered about the size of the things and whether they would fit through the door - they did!

the tops back in the garage

The eventual plan is for these to be hoistable to the roof, with folding legs. Going to worry about that later. This weekend, the plan is to bolt the 2 tops together and lay the track out to try it!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that is the garage after it was tidied in order for the walls to be white-washed! In order to put the track down, I think the garden is about to become a whole lot messier...

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE I think the garden is about to become a whole lot messier...

That's why I moved from suburbia to the country. Wait, maybe THAT'S why the neighbours were making such dumps out of their backyards! They were secretly building slot tracks! Nah....

Watching this one!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awkward access made laying the track was a biggish job, but got there in the end:

from driving position

from garage entrance

First impressions - great! Drives very smoothly, and the R1s don't seem to cause any problems at all.

Next job - elevations, but work means that will have to wait a while

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts
lookin good....

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (Nomagnetix @ 2 Oct 2005, 11:02)I take it the access also requires the use of that grabber to recover the cars?
Great idea.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Once it's finished and has proper legs - rather than being propped up on chairs - the access should be quite reasonable. But when I don't have a full team of marshalls - the grabber was always going to be a big part of the plan!

So far, turns 5 and 10 seem to be the most likely to cause deslots, and they are both easily reachable via grabber.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Looks good Astro!
Like mentioned before I also like the variation of the curve radiuses, that makes the track seem to have a nice flow.

Since you are talking about elevations, are you planning on doing scenery on the track?

BR
Stefan

·
Ian
99 Posts
Astro,
It's looking great I bet it a fun track to race on. But what I had to mention was the Grabber I was really getting fedup of climbing across my track to reach a car that had gone off at some awkward place seeing yours sparked something so I've got one on order
Cheers

Cant wait to see as it develops to see what other ideas I can nick!

Regards

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Nice track plan Asto. It looks like a lot fun. It also looks like you will have enough table space for plenty of scenery. Do you have any plans for what you want it to look like? Also, the table looks to be of a nice size, how large is it?

I've just put the track on my table and am just starting the wiring process. I'll certainly be watching your progress closely. Thanks for sharing the layout. I look forward to seeing more of it.

Brad

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes - it is going to be fully sceneried. Probably with an incongruous mix of modern and vintage pieces, the scenery at this point is not intended to duplicate catalunya's buildings. I have a vague plan, basically the whole of the back is going to be elevated, the front straight flat.

The garage interior is about 9 feet wide by 17 long - I think. Cant' remember exactly and the bit of envelope I wrote it on is now lost amongst many other scraps of paper and wood offcuts. After allowing room for marshalls, I decided on a 5 foot by 12 foot table, but the circuit kind of expanded, so the eventual table is sort of 5' 6" x 12' 6". The half nearest the door has a couple of corners lopped off to aid accessability.

I hope my project does offer ideas for people to nick, since it has been inspired and guided by all the great tracks and projects that people have already shared on the forum - thanks to them!

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
Looking great so far, but...

Have you considered to make the straight an elevated back straight?
Would be easier on the marshalls and the drivers...

Otherwise I like it a LOT!

Jan

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
re. elevated back straight:
corner 1 at the end of the back straight is one of the hardest corners on the circuit, and would end up the most innaccesible from the drivers position. Also it is the reverse elevation of the real track, not that reality should get in the way of great slot racing!

I roughed out the elevations which were already in my head - by sticking lumps of polystyrene and wood under some hardboard sheeting. Did some more test driving, and as long as I didnt allow there to be adverse cambers on the hairpins, it didn't make the driving any harder. Self marshalling with a grabber proved very practicle, something I had worried about before hand. The 2 furthest corners are relatively easy, so I don't anticipate too many offs there, but they can still be reached.

Next step - drawing the outline of the track on the hardboard, and jigsawing to shape. Then putting stuff back again, and putting the elevations in and testing again.

Also brought out a few scenic pieces to check scale, and have some idea of how the pit lane and areas will pan out.

Tomorrow I hope to glue and nail the plywood into place to fix the elevations.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.