SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 229 Posts

· Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So like it works, I have a long enough cable to run the mains out into the garden, a chair and access to the kettle via the backdoor. The thing is I really do not know what I am doing. So any suggestions or any kind of comments would be appreciated.

I have some ideas about expanding the track, but I am not sure.

For example, I have enough space to make the main straight mucho longer, but would that cause problems. Would I get voltage drops, would the cars start derailing on the actual straight. . .

See so much I simply do not know.

· *** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,802 Posts
Hello EvadingGrid,

I have a Carrera layout in my back-yard permanently. Most of the track has been outside for about 4 years now and has not deteriorated, neither electrically nor physically.
Not clear what you intend to do, but if you are just setting up for a short time you won't have any trouble from the track. Birds flying overhead can be a nuisance (LOL) but the mess won't do any damage. Having the track on the ground means that it is at risk of being stood on, especially if there is a rush to get a car back on.

As you will know, the Carrera track does not have any hairpin bends so is a bit easier to drive on than other types, so its user-friendly for all the new friends and family you will soon have. Its surprising how noisey the cars can be on still summer's day so neighbours may soon show interest.

Enjoy!

Link below is an overview of my layout. Its a bit too big to post directly on here.

Leo

Linky to Flickr

· Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took a look at your garden circit scuderia_turini.

I see you have all the stuff I am lacking, the scenery and crash barriers !

Thanks for the feed back. You bring up the subject of noise, I have been wondering about trying out a foam rubber under the track to see if it dampens the noise.

· ParrotGod
12,528 Posts
Very nice layout you got there! Like a Bertrand's 8 only reversed (the main straight in on top of the cross-over). Depending on car speed and driver experience cars can always deslot: in your case, the cars are going over gravel...you might expect some serious damage.
Depending where you are standing while driving, it might be also annoying to bend over to pick up deslotted cars. Maybe putting the layout on a table?

· Premium Member
3,080 Posts
Very nice layout, hope the weather is kind or you'll be needing pit stops for full wets!

· Premium Member
483 Posts
The area for the track is raised to a comfortable height. So its not needing a table to get it off "the floor" . No need to kneel down on the gravel (ouch) or anyone to walk across it.

I do realise that any raised sections will have to take the weight of a large cat. So I will have to fully support any raised sections.

· *** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,802 Posts
QUOTE (longdog @ 11 Apr 2015, 19:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very nice layout, hope the weather is kind or you'll be needing pit stops for full wets!

This is actually one of the joys of having an outdoor track - driving on a wet track is fun, fun, fun. Snow and frost/ice is fun too!

Leo

· Registered
591 Posts
Hello EvadingGrid and all The request was for comments witty or otherwise and I have to say you did not buy a garden but a gravel pit. It is more to laying ballast for a railroad. In my humour funnies over. I see in post 4 perhaps some type of walkie aid or a supermarket trolley. The garden beds are all raised perhaps to suit someone maybe not as mobile as they were years ago. The chair would indicate the user may prefer to be seated. If all of my comments fit the bill and if your layout suits you then go for it and enjoy. My experience of track is limited but for your needs I think if you wanted to extend the track you have it should not be a problem. As scuderia turini (Leo to friends and enemies) has pointed out if it is good in Edinburgh Scotland then it would be O K almost anywhere else in the world except maybe Venice they have a lot of moisture there. By the way where in the world are you perhaps you could include clues to your whereabouts in your profile. Thanks for posting and keep driving. Cheers John.
Sorry but if that is a few Jaguars I see on your track a good choice Cheers John.

· Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
More track ordered . . .

I could have ordered more, but I made a conservative decision and ordered

Radius 4 x 12
Straights 2

Should arrive tomorrow, will slot it together when it arrives, quick test spin and see how it shapes up. I spent a lot of time using "Slotman" to do designs on the computer, but I will not really know anything till I try it out for real.

1 - 20 of 229 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.