SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be mad - but I'm looking at my garden and thinking, I could lay a Le Mans circuit on that for a weekend in the summer (digital arcpro), and a bash of a garden party. All sorts of problems come to mind, but has anyone tried it? (Apart from James May et al)

t.

·
Bob Chapman
6,918 Posts
Actually Tim one of the lads did a garden track with Carrera.
It seemed to weather quite nicely and was a great looking track.
Ill see if i can remember the thread for you.
Bob

Reactions: Tim999

·
Bob Chapman
6,918 Posts
Go to the top right search box and enter Carrera Garden Layout.
Good long article on the topic.
Bob

·
Alan Wilkinson
1,058 Posts
Tim,
Make the weather forecast your best friend.
I built a track up on wooden sections for use at pubs etc. and did most of the building outdoors in the garden.
The biggest issue I've found is track expansion due to direct sunlight.

If you build in the cool and the sun come out, the track expands and buckles.
If you build in the sunshine and it cools down, the track shrinks opening gaps between sections.

Even indoors, the sun shining through the window can cause expansion and buckling.

Alan

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
The biggest issue I've found is track expansion due to direct sunlight.
When was the last time the sun shone in England?
banana.gif
lmfao.gif
*ducks* *runs*

Seriously though we put all my straights together for a gag outside and the sun only shone on about 1 meter of the track but you could almost see it move...

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,610 Posts
Hello Tim999,
I have a Carrera based layout permanently in part of my garden. Most of it has been outdoors for over 10 years and it has survived well.
Some info here: - https://slotracer.online/community/showthread.php?tid=67&pid=1317#pid1317
Other brands will warp and the rails corrode if left in UK weather.

Spider webs and bird poo are hazards. Cats take an interest also!

Leo

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Tim

A few friends and I often used to set a track up in the garden for the day and it was great fun. We put a couple of gazebos over most of the track which stopped direct sun. It wasn't serious slot racing but as you've said you are having a party/barbecue so it's not to be taken too seriously anyway.

David

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Do you mean that lane changing becomes unpredictable under the sun?
The IR receivers in the track can be triggered by sunlight (and even fluro strip light). One solution is to place a bridge over your sensors. Not practical if you have more than a couple.

I think I read that the Scorpius system places the transmitter in the circuit and the receiver in the car, which sounds like a more reliable way of doing things.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I've done this a couple of times. As mentioned above it does make the Lane Changers randomly change. We also had a problem with some random lap times of less than a second. Would definitely go ahead with a gazebo or two to shade the track. Was a lot of fun!

1237889_10151570309306761_2020500323_n.jpg

1208587_10151570315561761_1413839765_n.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've done this a couple of times. As mentioned above it does make the Lane Changers randomly change. We also had a problem with some random lap times of less than a second. Would definitely go ahead with a gazebo or two to shade the track. Was a lot of fun!

attachicon.gif
1237889_10151570309306761_2020500323_n.jpg

attachicon.gif
1208587_10151570315561761_1413839765_n.jpg
Thanks for this - love the photos... It had crossed my mind that some planks might be necessary to get a flat bed. The plastic - was there some dampness you were worried about?

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
The plastic sheeting under the track was mainly to prevent blades of grass from poking through the slot. I was also a little worried about the grass sweating under the track possibly causing a short. Might not have been a real concern but I didn't want to find out part way into the tournament!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts