SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Firstly thanks to Jon and Aaron for letting this happen, it was a great day that I'm sure was enjoyed by all.

Racing got started at about 11:30 after a couple hours practice and the Scrutineering carried out by Chris, Paul Darby and Moped. Lucky me was in the second race alongside Moped ang another 4. Somehow I got the win over a fast paced close packed 20 laps of the phoenix track after a good race long battle with wee man.

Other SlotForum racers there (form memory) were Asto and Hugs who both did well. The title of best SF racer went to Darbs after an extra 20 lap crash and burn race at the end between the top 6 forum racers. I got the fourth aftr both RW and Astro crashed out.

Paul cleaned up again taking the overall title in the A final, a new system run after the heats akin to karting. My B final went terribley but the racing I had was enjoyable all the same.

I took my VCR along so I'll be compiling footage for the next few days to bring you all a short video about 30 minutes long. Another top memory for me was buying a Fly Corvette of Jake for the measly sum of £3 just so I could replace the crownwheel on my cousin's chevy.

After the awards which comprised of medals for the top xxxxx racer, a trophy for the overall victor and 6 gaugemaster limited edition cars (plus a venturi for the sf winner), the NSCC Enzo Ferraris were raced. I didn't stick around for this thought so I can't tell you what happened.

And I don't know if Mope got his caterhams running either.........

Gary S

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it was Astro?

There was me, paul, pw, astro, gtp and someone else.

If the someone else wasn't a home racer then him.

Fastest Lap to a non-home racer went to Gore from eastecote (i think) with a 10.2

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Well done all, nice and friendly and well contested. Full stats etc tomorrow as I`m cream crackered right now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Was a really good day thanks alot Jonny and Aaron,

Also thanks to P1 Darbs for the tips and his dremel to get my car through scrutineering.

I raced as Gore(Don't belong to a club unfortunately
) and got the fastest lap for a non-home racer. Think it was a 10.136 which I believe only a couple of the Phoenix racers beat so i was happy with that. Im also very pleased about the Special edition Ferrari 365 I got,Thanks Aaron for the prizes.
I had some very closely fought races with many of the best Phoenix racers including 1 with gtp which I won and 1 against Robbie D who I tracked the entire race but couldnt quite get past.
I did find concentrating for 20 laps very difficult as I lost a couple races which I'd led to the halfway point and then continuously kept coming off in the 2nd half.

The NSCC Enzo Ferraris were rather amusing as they were awful to drive,had no braking ability and they seemed to come off the track at the most random times.I think Flying Ads won it but I maybe wrong.

Sadly the Caterham races didnt take place

·
Registered
549 Posts
I am glad it went well, and I look forward to seeing the full report. Sorry I could not be there, but personal commitments prevented me attending.

Aaron

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello to you all, This is my first post, as promissed just to prove i am a SF member.
Thanks Aaron for the trophey its a great piece those LTD edition cars looked great also. (but i didn't get one of those)

Everyone that entered raced in the true spirit of competition and some of the heats were extremely close. Gore was for me the driver who shone the most and i read his post, which is a fair assessment of his performance.
Several Pheonix members were out raced on the day and that can only be good for future events encouraging others amongst those who entered to race at Pheonix in up and comming events. Oh and to encourage people even more my right hand man Richie RW beat himself up in the races like i've never seen before,
he was really disapointing, but he did make a serious come back (briefly)
The Ferrari Enzo's were raced and Flying Adam won this event. The cars i have to say are shockingly dissapointing in performance dispite having 2 magnets fitted the unpredictability whilst conering was truely frustrating to say the least.
Never the less they made for a fun lighthearted end to what was a long race day.

i'll chat again some time soon, good luck with your racing.............P1Darbs.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Phoenix was the venue for the first Gaugemaster Controls Trophy race meeting. Sponsored by Gaugemaster Controls and organised by Aaron and myself, the theme was to race Fly cars in box standard form.

The entrants competed in a close competition that was demanding. In order to negate as much as possible the home advantage it was decided to race with magnets and to hold races of 20 laps duration. This is double the normal amount at Phoenix. The theory,which proved correct, was that you had a reasonable chance of catching up after an `off.` No modifications to the cars were allowed and all cars entered were scrutineered.

After a lengthy practise session the mix of home and club racers , both Junior and senior all competed in a series of heats to decide placings for group finals. The racing proved to be close and exciting and it was noted that a wide mix of Fly cars were seen lapping around the demanding Phoenix circuit. The SF members of note were bobthebear80 and Astro with Moped and Hugs close on their heels. As mentioned previously this particular formula proved to be a great leveler and the cars all performed superbly. No car dominated but in the hands of P1 Darbs the Lola pulled away from the field. The heats produced some very close racing and the Juniors chased really hard. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly and I truly believe that at some stage of the day just about everyone got a good result.

The finals, as suggested by `Big Chris` took on the system used in Karting. Each final had five people entered by right of placings,determined by the heats. The sixth entrant was a wild card so that the winner of the previous final got promoted up to the next final i.e. from Group F to Group E and so on. So even if you were struggling after the heats, had a bad race or hard draw, there was still hope (even for me!). The finals produced the closest races of the day,as expected using this system. A seperate final was also held for the top six SF members to determine `best SF Racer`. For this race it should be pointed out that the lanes were drawn out of the hat but p1 Darbs elected at the start to take Red lane, `the lane of doom`. This was raced in crash and burn format.

Results
TOP SF RACER - P1 DARBS

SENIORS - 1st - P1 DARBS
2nd - ROB D
3rd - BILL C

JUNIORS - 1st - `MUTLEY`
2nd - `FLYING ADS`
3rd - `THE WEE MAN`

TOP YOUNGSTER - `SUBARU STEVIE S (aged 6)

TOP VISITING YOUNGSTER - GLEN LEYSER (aged 4)

TOP VISITING JUNIOR - `DAZZLING DAN S`

TOP VISITING SENIOR - ASTRO

TOP NEW SENIOR - `KEVIN THE RAT CATCHER`

TOP NEW JUNIOR - ADAM W

TOP NEW YOUNGSTER - LAURA (girl power!)

TOP DADS N LADS TEAM - `DICK DASTARDLEY` and `MUTLEY`

FASTEST LAP TIME SET BY A VISITING RACER - bobthebear80 = 10.133

All of the above were presented with a trophy supplied by me and the seven Fly cars donated to the event were awarded to P1 Darbs, Mutley, Stevie, Astro,
bobthebear80, Dan S and Laura.

The prize cars were the Venturi (left over from the GT meet) and three each of the limited edition Fly `Gaugemaster Controls` liveried BMW CSL and Ferrari Daytona. Each of these were seen in normal livery racing during the event and were awesome!

Many thanks to Aaron, as usual he is a star and keen to promote the hobby. The car was definately the star though as we proved that Fly cars race superbly out of the box and like against like produces close racing. Well done to all the racers who took part in the right spirit and enjoyed the company of fellow enthusiasts.

P.S. Pictures will appear in the write up on the Gaugemaster Controls web site, thanks to GeeBee our profesional freelance official club photographer.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Great event, thanks for Jonny for putting it on (and all the pheonix members who helped), and to Aaron for sponsoring it.

As said above - it was great racing, and fantastic seeing very fast and very nice looking fly cars zipping around the track. The races were generally close, and the cars performed very well.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thank you to Jonny and Aaron for arranging and sponsoring this event. Gaugemaster are one of the leading model railway stockists in the UK and do a wicked line in controllers. And of course they are now main distributers for Fly in the UK as we all know.

Yes it was good fun and I even managed to win one of the heats with my Viper. And it was possibly the closest race of the afternoon to so very exciting.

I didn't stop for the Carrera event but did express my concerns earlier in the day about the merits of running Carrera Enzo cars on Ninco track. They do have a lot of downforce and on club circuit Ninco track I could understand why they would be a problem to control. Had the bar magnet been removed it would have presented a better driver experiance.

Nice to meet up with a few of the Slotforum gang again.

Moped

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Not wishing to take anything away from the report Jonny but many of the Fly cars started with spoilers and other bits missing. Basically if the Fly car had a part that could be broken off in a club race, that part was already broken off before the racing started!

There was very little left to break off!

However, the endurance of the Fly cars did impress although some folk did switch to their backup cars when problems were encountered.

Do you suppose that the Fly cars would have been as impressive from an endurance point of view if the motor housings, driveshaft bushes and axles bushes had not been glued in place in all cases?

The report could give the " Fly Masters" back home in Spain the wrong impression. They still have work to do the produce smooth running and reliable box standard cars.

You could be making a rod for Aaron's back when his customers refer to your report when returning Fly cars that are not performing as expected or have bits broken!

It was a fun day out and that was a fact!

Moped

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
QUOTE Basically if the Fly car had a part that could be broken off in a club race, that part was already broken off before the racing started!
There was very little left to break off!

My impression of the race was different; this is the second club race I have attended, on the first one where scalextric lolas were amongst the dominant ones - there were few wings and externals to be seen, it did look very odd. By contrast, the fly cars appeared to be generally complete to me! Even by the final heats, they all SEEMED (to me!!!) to still have wings, spoilers etc etc. I guess mirrors and wipers may have been removed, but the cars looked complete.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
But did you take part in the scrutineering Astro?

There were spoilers, mirrors and aerials missing although not on every car admittedly. And I did pick up one mirror from the track whilst marshalling.

Jonny's report gives the impression that Fly cars are bullet proof, when they are really no more so than any other slot car. The event was sponsored by Fly and Gaugemaster and any publicity is good publicity and most of the report is excellent.

But if I was new to slot car racing and read 2 or 3 lines of the report I would believe that slot cars were indistructable!

Moped

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
yes i was one of the scrutineers; as I said, I am not counting wipers, mirrors or arials (although both hugs and my lolas still have rear spoilers and arials after 0ver 100 long laps of hard racing!). Major features like spoilers seemed to be there, and to me appeared to be still there by the end. Each person probably has a different perception, and the truth is usually somewhere in between
- but at the start and by the end, I still contend that the cars here were a lot more complete than at the open-manufacturers competion.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
In the open manufacturers competition they had hot motors and went a lot faster and crashed harder. I would agree with you that the cars here did look better at the end but there was noticeably less "offing" on the part of competitors relative to laps completed. I believe 20 lap races help with this.

At the end of the day there are good and valid reasons for everything.

Moped

·
Registered
71 Posts
From what I saw the Vipers that had there Spoilers seemed to keep there spoilers.
My 2 Lolas which me and my friend raced remained intact and didnt incure any damage whatsoever.
The Wingmirrors had broken off months ago and I'd agree these are stupidly fragile and will always brake with a tiny crash. They are the mirrors that are on tiny stalks about 1mm diameter.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts