SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Hi All,

As we gear up for the most important event of the EAHORC season, here's a look at all 21 racers for the HO Grand Prix.

Martin H - The Michael Schumacher of the EAHORC championship with a surely never to be bettered list of championships to his name. Rumours of Martin building a Swiss castle to house his trophies cannot be confirmed at this time however. Keep your eye out for that familiar lucky blue t-shirt. Combining impressive technical know-how with fearsome speed make Martin very much the favourite to take the win and also means there will be a big target painted on his back for everyone else will be gunning for him.

Andy W - An established presence at the top end of the F1 grid, Andy knows how to rack up those big lap counts so expect to see him in the mix somewhere. Andy is probably the second favourite for the win and could be where the smart money is placed.

Deane W - The father of EAHORC struggled last time out at Kesgrave. Was Snoopy's dropped teste a corner too far? Has been lurking in the midfield finals for a lot of the season but could this be prior to an all out assault on the one they all want to win. A possible very dark horse.

Clive H - Clive spent a long time after the last F1 event studying a Martech Mega G (very much the car to have) so expect some fine tuning of his own prepared machine. A Premier grader, Clive should be in the Top 3 Finals somewhere and will be looking to repeat his LHORC A Final appearance from October.

Marc T - Another Premier Grader and the only man on the grid who has taken an F1 win this season apart from Martin (Robin Cornwall sadly won't be in the race). Fresher faced than last year and with a shiny new car but did his beard have go faster stripes in it? We'll find out on Sunday.

John F - Fresh off his season best result last time out and topping the championships at his home club, John has found the right combination of Martech fettled Mega G and consistent quick lap times. If he finds an extra gear Martin and Andy will be looking over their shoulders more than once this weekend.

Craig H - The youngest man in the field and the newly crowned Modified Champion, Homewood the Younger is as quick as they come and twice as relaxed. In fact, he's so quick he often wins with his hands behind his back!

Paul H - Daddy Homewood obviously has fast driving in his loins judging by his progeny and the nice Merc in the carpark. Craig and Paul put on a tour de force at FLBT to claim two of the automatic A Final places and are both about to become Premier Graders. If these two don't get into the A automatically again, they'll be tough competition for whoever has to face them in an earlier final.

Tony S - Mr S has discovered the joys of the Mega G in the past couple of months and has been putting in increasingly impressive drives as a result. Can he go one final better than last time?

Andy P - Mr Video himself. We've learnt a few things about Andy this year. One, he likes trying to build the fastest Tyco in the West and Two, he never gives up on a final no matter how far back he is! Paul H will be nervous if they line up side by side again.

Julian A - Julian hosted the brilliant ECHO race at Kesgrave last time. Don't let his somewhat unhealthy obsession with Snoopy (see the video from ECHO to see what I mean), Julian likes to drive conservatively and keep it on the road which means he does get those good scores.

Jim E - Jim only made his debut in Kesgrave but he's been testing and racing at home and SCHORC since then so it is likely that he'll score more than 16 points this time out. Just look at his SCHORC compatriot Al.

Al W - The easy going Al has put in two appearances at EAHORC this season and he quadrupled his points haul last time out which goes to show that regular club racing will really pay dividends when you hit the National scene. He's a dab hand at making spreadsheets too so let's keep an eye on him in case he heads towards Race Control...

Darren M - Darren is in the middle of a titanic three way scrap for Top Rookie honours at WHO with Gareth and Simon but that won't distract him. If he was any more relaxed while racing, he'd fall asleep. A regular A Finalist at WHO and a possible Martech customer, fireworks should be expected...if he feels like it.

Mike D - He's not one of the Beastie Boys which is a good thing because they suck which this Mike D most certainly doesn't! Mike put in a great performance at WHO this month until his red club car let him down a bit in his final where it was no match for his competitors. He's no stranger to slots either being another 1/32nd man drawn to the small side.

Jon C - If Jon could squeeze his Evo engine into an HO slot car, he would. You will not find a bigger speed addict on the grid as his recently melted chassis will tell you....if it could talk. A real danger man who could end up anywhere in the field and he'll be laughing while he does it!

Ross B - Jon's partner in crime at the Bristol club and another king of speed. Ross beat Jon in F1 at FLBT when they had the club cars but this time the rumour is they'll both be Martech equipped and that means fast men in fast cars.

David H - He's won two of the last three Nascar finals so he knows how to win races and he's also third in Main Grade. But will his focus be on another PM win?

Paul W - He's the rocker with the Rokar (alright it's a LifeLike, spoil my fun, mutter, mutter) in Nascar. Paul only debuted in the series in January and has not had the easiest of rides adapting to the series. But a few more tips from brother Andy and working out the controller and car combination that suits him will bring big dividends in time. 2nd in the Rookie Cup currently.

John O - John races for LHORC so his last appearance was way back in October which is before this pundit started following the EAHORC series. 20 points on his debut for the Main Grade championship is certainly not to be sniffed at but how has he been fairing in local competition since then?

Gareth - There is a saying in real F1 that without the car, the driver is nothing. Gareth's first heats in Yelling in February were with the Tyco equivalent of a 1990's Andrea Moda. Since then he's tried Andy P's Tyco (a very good car), another of his own Tycos (Minardi), a LifeLike M (Hispania) before arriving at the Red Bull of the field: a Martech Mega G. With his WHO F1 win last time out, he'll be gunning for a Top 10 finish.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Al! Felt like the big event should have a big build up!

Looking forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve.

Cheers

Gareth

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
QUOTE (Gareth @ 20 May 2011, 16:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Tony S - Mr S has discovered the joys of the Mega G in the past couple of months and has been putting in increasingly impressive drives as a result. Can he go one final better than last time?

Unfortunately not, back to the Tyco for the next 1/2 meetings, there is unfinished business in the 'tyco cup'.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Debut here i come!!!!!!!charged up with coffee and ready to make a right hash of it.......nice one gareth.......and mega-g intro learning curve a steep one....thats of course depending on if the world doesn't end tomorrow????????......looking forward to it Mike D

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
That's the spirit Mike! You'll have a whale of time I promise you! Unlike Messers Stacey and Player who are criticising all my hard work! They will have a torrid time and the wheels will fall off their collective waggons I tell ya!

Here is an interesting statistic from my HO racing that I worked out today. Although my results haven't been exactly stellar (last WHO and EAHORC events not withstanding), I have won every single F1 final that I have qualified for in both WHO and EAHORC to date. This is only the finals that my heat scores put me into, doesn't include step ups obviously or I'd be a triple EAHORC Winner!

Admittedly some of them were E and D finals but it is still a pretty cool stat. It'll end on Sunday I expect!

·
Registered
431 Posts
once agane a very very good day and i cant what to get to the next one but dont no if that will be posible at the mo but i will do every thing in my power to get there i love ho racing and with a martech mega g f1 was fun for me to just wish i had another 20sec to get past marc to take 2nd in pro mod as it was i got 3rd and i am very happy with that as it is only my 2nd ever race meet
thanks for all involved for making another top meeting

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 22 May 2011, 20:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nope, 2 more wins from 2

Yep! I commented in the car on the way back that my crazy F1 record continues.
Just one more F1 race to repeat it in for EAHORC and two more in Worthing this year.

What a fantastic HO GP though. I had a great time.

Cheers

Gareth

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Stars of the HOGP?

Well, Martin obviously, but Jon and Mike D spring to mind too. Good to see Woodcote back in an F1 a final, a very tough thing to achieve nowadays.

A real treat for me to have John Ovens race with us. Many of you will be only peripherally aware of John, but suffice to say without his encouragement there would be no EAHORC. He was over the moon with the car I loaned him (so much so he purchased it) and to almost make the B final having not touched an HO car since the last Edmo meet was a thrill for both of us.

Good to see Gareth and John F up the sharp end again, as more Martechs come through that will get tougher but I suspect they will give it their all. Favourites for Main grade next season?. Another good showing from Al as well.

Enjoyed the scrap with Andy W a lot, but what were we doing down that far in the first place? Next season the bottom two Prem graders without permanent status will be demoted, and am I therefore staring into the abyss. It will be easier to face if I can just nip the Nascar title, something I am very calm about now and can go a whole 10 minutes without thinking about it...

Well done to Martin, Dave and John F for winning the three support races, the Mod was was especially gripping and the sight of those ProMod A final cars is a memory that will stay with me a long time.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike D and Darren are both getting Martech cars so the competition in Worthing on June 19th and July 6th is going to be incredible. Woodcote should be especially proud of himself with the only non-Martech Mega G in the A Final and he got it there without stepping up.

How do you achieve permanent status in Premier grade? I know that the top two Main graders go up and also anyone who auto qualifies for 3 A-Finals or who appears in 4 A-Finals via ste up. Does that happen before the end of the season?

I've already started thinking about next year and I'm looking forward to having a crack at the Main Grade title. To be in 6th place after 4 events is something I am very proud of.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
To be a PPG you have to have won either the F1 title or the EAHORC cup.

The step up process is instant. So Paul and Craig might both move up at Worthing on the final day of the season, and Prem will get a four driver boost next season. I suspect they will try and avoid that though. On the flip side, if Craig has a bad day on current form you or John F might take the spot behind his dad for the move up to Prem.

Lots to play for on the final day! (Don't I know it).

Next season the only step-up will be an outright F1 win but if Martin has an off day I can see people doing that still. The long term goal was always to have a promotion and relegation system but the current method was used to boost the top class to a decent size, which it now is.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Automatic step up could be a bit of a pain if you were competing for the Main grade title!

I've done some calculations and it is theoretically possible for me to step up at Worthing but I think the blip in Craig's form should end and he'll be back to his usual place at the sharp end in Worthing so I think I'll remain in Main Grade next year.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Five of the last six Main grade winners got their wins whilst in A finals, so it is someting of a tightrope. Next season it won't be like that, but I would not bet against somebody from the lower ranks taking an outright win and getting promoted the quick way.

Jon springs to mind, but there are others.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jon was mighty in F1 this weekend despite describing it as "boring" during the heats! That man lives for his fast cars. If he manages to keep the car on the track then I could definitely see him taking an F1 win. Andy's already Premier grade but he was on Martin's pace during the heats so he has to be possible winner in Worthing as well.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Haha, only Jon would describe a car covering 200 inches (17 feet/5 metres) per SECOND as boring.

Mind you his ProMod is closer to 300 / 25 / 7.5

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There is no chance of him going over to the dark side as he calls it. They're not quick enough for him!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hi all, this year is more practice for me as it is the first 2 nationals I have ever been to and i started very late to get any proper points up. Next year I aim for top 4 every race and as you all know I love my speed. With a Martech car f1 is a lot more fun for me but pro mod is were I want to be in the top 3. At lest my need for speed is sum times my downfalll but I am the type of man that would risk all to win.

And to top it all of you lot make ho racing very fun and all very helpfall to new racers

1 - 20 of 48 Posts