SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's Mike here, I'm 28 and live in Perth, West Australia.
I've had an AFX track for awhile now, but a mate pulled his old scalextric track out of the shed and were hooked! We race every weekend over a few cold cans. We run the Aussie v8 super car series cars and it's usually some pretty close action.
I just ordered my thundering v8's scalextric kit, 2 extra straight sections and a crossover corner section. I looked in all the hobby shops here in Perth and the thundering v8's is by far the largest analogue kit available to me at 900 odd cm's.

Just waiting for it to arrive now! Arggg it's killing me!

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Welcome to the madness of addiction. No turning back now. There's certainly few better ways to wind down from a week of work than cutting a few laps over a couple of cold beverages.

When you feel you're ready, there is quite a thriving club scene going on in the West. A few of the protagonists have been known to show themselves here on the forum or else you can check out details at the group's website, www.wascrg.com.

Enjoy
Embs

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi ember, I did go down to the raceway in maddo last Tuesday, checkered flag I think it's called. We hired a car each and came back later to watch the racing. It was pretty awesome but I think I prefer the scale stuff more. I believe they race scale there on another night, will have to check it out in a few weeks!

·
Registered
433 Posts
G'day Mike and welcome to the forum, being somewhat of a 'newbie' to the forum myself I'm sure you can find a wealth of info here to help you. The V8's aren't bad cars especially if you lower them, started out with the 9m Mountain Mayhem set myself and have built up quite a collection of cars and track over a relatively short time. Good to see another West Aussie on the forum.
Enjoy
Matt

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Mike, the guys from WASCRG (West Aus Slot Car Racing Group) run 1:32 on a bunch of member tracks. Check out the website you'll see what I mean. Not had the opportunity to meet any of them in person but they're a nice bunch of blokes to chat to.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I see this was from a while ago
... but I'll respond anyway.
I obviously haven't looked at this section for a while.

Thanks for the kind reference Embs! Your exactly right regarding scale too. We only choose to run 1:32 commercially available cars (some with mods and some stock). David's track is currently under rebuild (has been for about a year now - waiting for Scorpius), but Mike don't be put off by the commercial appearance of Syd's routed track. I know it doesn't look like scalextrics plastic, but it is very much close relatively scaled racing... we aren't into warp speed winged cars. The cars have got to look style king as they are going around the track
. We have finished our championship season for 2011 (which isn't taken too seriously... well most of the time)... so it is just mock races and tuning nights until we start again in 2012. If you wanted to come for a look, now is probably a really good time. We race every second Saturday night.

We have a big range in age, I'm 31yo so about your age and we have a bunch of young guys from about 17yo through to older guys (I'm not even going to have a guess at risk of offending
). We race on private tracks... a lot of guys don't own a tracks (including me) and a lot have only been into slot cars for less than a year. A lot of guys only own 5 slot cars (I'm one of them - ok I may have a spare or two)... 1 for the 5 classes that we choose to run (capped at 5 classes to minimise costs) and a couple of regulars are still borrowing cars... some of the guys drag along a mate who didn't expect to pick it up... but the mates have come back and joined in full time - It doesn't matter if you are fast or slow... everyone is pretty encouraging.
Give David a call if you are interested 0439 900 764 - he's my twin brother and runs the group with Syd.

Kirk

P.S. We don't mind the odd cold can either (social night out if nothing else).
Good company, a few responsible drinks, pizza and slot car racing = good times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts