SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I would like to find out how to measure or tell 'gear pitch' ?

Especially in RTR cars of today.

The reasons, apart from a thirst for knowledge, is that Tropi and I are in the early stages of building a database referencing Gear size, teeth number, pitch, material etc of all modern 1/32 RTR cars.

I believe from reading various posts and threads on many forums in the past year or so, that this would be a very useful reference piece for those that like to upgrade.

So ! gimme' the technnical knowhow and we will do the rest for you.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Swiss,
There is a fairly good gear pitch article at: http://www.abslotsport.com/page8.html
and I couldn't explain it any better.
The only thing to add is that all Eurocars with the exception of Carrera use 50pitch gears. This is close to 48pitch which was the inline gear standard during the old days. I've used 48pitch pinions with 50pitch crowns (and vice versa) with no problem in durability. Carrera uses 64pitch gears which is the standard pitch for the metal chassis crowd that the ABSlot article was written for.

Jim

Forgot to mention, look at: http://www.sdp-si.com/D190/HTML/D190T28.htm and the pages around it for a more technical explaination

Hope this helps

·
Al Schwartz
3,392 Posts
The second reference posted above is a handy way to figure out the pitch of an unknown gear. Changing rations on an in-line motor is no problem - it's free choice up to the gear diameter limitations imposed by tire size or ground clearance regs. Sidewinders are another story - scratch built chassis afford the opportunity to change the armature shaft/axle spacing to accomodate the center-to center distance of the gear set but the RTRs do not have this flexibility. Fortunately, Ing. Ferrari of Slot-It ignored conventional wisdom and developed a tooth profile that allows varying the tooth count while maintaining constant diameter spurs and pinions to allow ratio changes - and they are very smooth running sets to boot. They are, however, built for 0.093" axles, not the metric ones common on the RTR cars. (Slot-It also offers in-line sets with constant diameter pinions and matching crown gears offering two variables while maintaining the motor-shaft extension centering function)

EM

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
One of the best deals going on gears are the TSRF plastic 64pitch sets. The 1/32 set is good for most medium to large tracks while the 1/24 set is great for our cars on short tracks. Both will press fit a FLY or Scalex axle as well as 3/32" axles and the sets have the correct axle to motor shaft spacing. The mesh is extremely smooth and that alone will give you slightly better performance. The big thing is price a complete set is under $2 in the U.S. and probably not much more here. I have converted all my FLY cars.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts