SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1 hp Trabant is not my real car
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a problem with my Pioneer P010 Mustang.
The contrate is slipping on the axle on hard acceleration. Sounds like 1:1 car clutch slip!!

I tried pulling off the wheel and gear, degreasing and re-assembling with a dab of super glue, but that only worked for a short time.

Anyone experienced the same? Any ideas for a fix?

No such problem with my P008 Mustang or P005 Bengal Charger.

Cheers,
Tom.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
You could try degreasing the axle with lighter fluid (or any petrol-based cleaner) and then fixing it with epoxy resin. This is much stronger than superglue and it takes knocks much better.

Or you could try fitting a 3/32 standard axle from SlotIt (Pioneer have slightly thinner axles which is why the gear and wheels eventually break free and start to spin around) and 3/32 bearings from a Scalex/Fly model?

You could also change over the contrate with a Scalex one, but then you'll find the axle diameter and pinion diameter are all screwed up in Pioneer cars as they make them without following standard measurements followed by folks like Scalex, Fly, SlotIt and so on. In other words, the axlegear and pinion are just under 1mm too far apart. NSR do a wider pinion gear that'll fit a Scalex axlegear, but then you'll have to change the axle diameter to 3/32, bearings, and so on. It's a real faff.

You could also simply buy a new one, but approaching Pioneer to replace the poor article you have makes sense to begin with. Just make sure they don't charm you with words designed to bat you off into the long grass, so get ready to insist on a replacement.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Our customer service is so good, you don't even have to contact us - we just read and fix it. Howzat?

Tom, just pm your mailing address and make a note if your axle has grey spoke or silver spoke wheels. P010 was made 50/50 with both styles.

P010 blue Mustangs were made in January 2010 before a mild knurl was added to all axles (in May 2010) to hold the spur gear tight.

The main problem was that oil from the rear bearing eventually creeped along the axle and penetrated what should be a dry joint between spur and axle. Once the spur started to slip it then exacerbated the problem, effectively lubricating the spur on the axle, hence the problem.

Screwneck, not sure what you mean about the spur and the pinion being 1mm too far apart. According to mini engineering checksum data on the pitch circle diameter we specified, the centre points should be 12mm apart, which is what they are.

Also, Screwneck, I'm not charming, don't own a bat and don't assume any long grass is on the horizon.

Cheers,

Jules

·
1 hp Trabant is not my real car
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your replies, and thanks Jules for your quick response...I was quite certain you would be calling by!
My P010 blue Mustang has grey spoke wheels, as does my P008 B&G. (Bengal tiger has silver). I purchased them in December 2010.
When I disassembled the axle, I noted that there was an area of very shallow knurling under the gear area (not cross hatch knurling, but axial grooves).
I have solved the problem with a bit of thuggery - I used side cutters to put some deeper "knurling" on the axle under the gear area. It seems to be working so far.
Jules, it would be no use for me to give you my mailing address in Chiang Mai. I will pm you my son's address in UK, I shall be there in September.
Cheers,
Tom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts