SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth getting any resin wheels I need some wheel for a project car. I predict having to "clean out" the axle hole. This may lead to eccentricity, etc.?

Anyone used/using resin wheels?

·
re member
4,182 Posts
QUOTE Anyone used/using resin wheels? yes, once and only on the front. I guess I got lucky with the axle centres. I used a press fit hole with a 1/16" axle.
All this was on a Lotus 38 build a few years back.

·
Circuit Owner
5,924 Posts
I think anybody playing with toy cars like we do could be considered to be eccentric

Oh - that wasn't what you meant!

If you have access to a pillar drill that would make it easier to clean out the hole and maintain balance in the wheel. Gently pushing the drill bit into the wheel and slowly spinning it will reveal if the bit is centred before you hold the wheel and drill down.

I have used this technique in the dim and distant past with plastic wheels from a kit that I was drilling out to 3/32.

Afterwards you could also true the wheels - but please wear a mask because resin dust is really nasty stuff and can make your lungs hypersensitive with its toxic isocyanates.

The only "resin" wheels I have were printed by choc-ice using a laser sintering process and are very round with no flashing whatsoever. This could be the way things go in the future.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
wheels [resin] arn,t that good for slot racing without some work first. i take off all the obvious flashing, as the modifer said. then lay it flat on a pillar drill, then drill and ream the hole size you want. i,ve got a lathe, so its not a problem. i tap the spindle into the wheel hole, chuck it in the lathe and take the lightest skim possible to true the pair of wheels. front wheels, job done. rear wheels take more stress, so i usuall turn an ally boss to slip and glue over the end of the wheels, to take a hole i can drill and tap m2 by 3mm long for a grubscrew fixing. you could use a tyre truer to skim the dia as long as its repeatable. if its a ridged wheel, you can only do it on a lathe. if youv,e only got a pillar drill, glue some fine grade emery to a face plate-90% block, spin the wheel assy by hand and set the emery at the lowest spot on the wheel, then clamp it to the table. run the chuck at medium speed and bring the wheel down onto the emery slowly as you dont want to melt any thing. if your unlucky and it doesn,t clean up fully, just give a light tap to the block to move it in slightly and repeat process. leave as set and do the second wheel. resin is pretty strong and the wheels wont break, even with big gee gee,s turning it. john

1 - 5 of 5 Posts