SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Gary Skipp
6,658 Posts
I have wanted a permanent track since forever. I've wanted a routed track ever since I visited Wolves. And I've wanted to make this thread ever since I got my plans finalised. A good job I didn't, they changed once, and then oncemore, and besides, I knew if I did the thread, the track would never be built. It's the law of ironies.

As of now though, the track is cut, elevated, routed, basecoat, taped, wired and working! So I reckon its now safe to tell you all about it

This is the plan;

It's only simple, and not very large, sitting on an 8x4 frame. However, it will let me releive my collection from being shelved, and more importantly, it's not cluttered, so I can do some nice scenery. Theme will be late 1960's USA desert. I have taken most of my inspiration from tracks like Riverside, Laguna Seca and Lime Rock. I saved a load of photographs for reference and then made up some sketches for the kind of details I want to incorporate.

Say goodbye, futon.

Routing and wiring. The track is wired for dead lapcounting.

The south side of the track.

Paint, tape, and the begginings of some scenery.
Note that the controller socket does not obscure the lane, it's just placed here in the photo!

I sincerely hope that updates will follow in a swift and steady manner! The important thing to me was to get it working because now, it's just a matter of adding to it. There's a lot to add, and I know it's true you never stop. But I won't want to drive it all bare, so there lies my motivation! All comments welcome

·
Graham Windle
4,460 Posts
Nice job Garry dont worry about the size because its quality that counts .It looks terriffic , for years I tested my cars on a 6ft oval and a 2 ft circle . Now Im back to the 6ft oval but in carrera till I get routing . Keep the pics coming and see you at wolves in febuary

·
René 'Vialli' Christensen
4,861 Posts
Size doesn't matter - no matter what your wife tells you!!

Nice little track with some tight corner and it looks like it will be very hard to overtake, but that will only make it a challenge and more fun!

·
Ian
99 Posts
Gary,
It's looking Great already we know where you will be when it's cold and dark outside..
As for the Size issue, It maybe small but it's perfectly formed!

I can see hours of fun there that's just the building of it, and of course you have to test each little addition with a few laps.

With what you are doing during the day you can call this research

I'll be following you're progress so keep the pictures coming.

·
Gary Skipp
6,658 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys, really appreciate it. You guys are all master track builders so if mine turns out anything near yours I'll be happy!

Picking up on Rene's comment; yes it will be difficult to overtake. I considered just doing a 1 lane layout as it will really only be myself that uses it, but for one lane you need enough space for two, so you may aswell have two! I also think chasing another car through the esses or those final corners could be a lot of fun.

I'd like to add a big thanks to BEEJAY7 (cheers Alan) for lending me the OldSlotRacer lexan routing kit. Couldn't have done it without it, thanks

Wibbly, theoretically once I have another 3 pin socket, anytime you like!

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts

True, is't a small track, but already it looks great!

You just got tagged... love to see how it developes

Jan

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Nice work Gary. I really like the plan and the inspiration for it. I think we share the same opinion of the law of ironies too - I like your approach. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress. Keep sanded tile grout in mind if you're thinking of adding scenery to your track. It makes the perfect looking sandy dirt/soil that is prevelant in the southwestern US.

Thanks for sharing your track.
Brad

·
Registered
468 Posts
This will definitely be a track to watch with keen interest. Nice work. You might also look into the 'Arizona Rock and Mineral' product line; 1. the stuff really does come from the Southwest and has just the right "look", and 2., there is a lingering rumor that the fellow making the product line is considering hanging it up, which will make the stuff impossible to get. So, check it out and if you like what you see-get all you can.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
It's just a small point but it will make a lot of difference. Take your 'rocks' to the edge of the racing line in the esses. Then the cars will look as if they are actually going round something instead doing a silly wiggle.

·
Gary Skipp
6,658 Posts
Hi Guys

Some more progress tonight; time is short due to my college commitments but I have hardwired both lanes now as last night they were only hooked up on crocodile clips. Been to B and Q, which means, that then there were two!

I'm having a bit of difficulty actually, I'd gotten hold of two 16.5V scalex transformers (older style, mid 90s) which I wired up but the feed was very poor, cars stuttering, hardly moving at all. If I hook my my adjustable 12V supply I've been using for testing eveything is fine. Any suggestions onto whats going on with the wall warts? All I did was chop of the jack plug and connect positive and negative to where they need to be. Tested with a multimeter and everything. Any ideas?

Also got some surface paint and building sand for the asphalt (see, getting in the American spirit) so hopefully I can start that in the next few days.

Brad and Spa, thanks for the comments. My next door neighbour has a load of stone chippings in his front graden that look just about perfect. Nothing better for a scaled rock than a, well, scaled down rock! I might have to craftily liberate some when he isn't looking!

F40, the track is on our spare room, which is roughly 8' x 7' 7"

Black3sr, I am under strict instructions to keep the walls as they are! No posters or anything

Graham, the scenery in the esses will come right up to where the track is currently white. With a copper track there does need to be some room to get the tail out too, but after initial (if extensive
) testing, I seem to have fluked the track width right first time round! It'll look a bit like this;

Finally cheers to whoever cleared up my first post for me

·
Registered
201 Posts
Aha located your post just, though i only just looked for it been watching a film, its looking cool, quite a lot of progression since that rather windy day in your garden haha, darn it though i really want to let loose my cars somewhere haha, can't wait to get back to test out your track lol i'll keep a check up on your progress!!

·
Graham Windle
4,460 Posts
Garry re the psu take a look at CPC for the sky tronic range of fixed voltage psus I run 2 x 7amp x13.8v on my track in the UK and the power is tremendous .you would only need one of the smaller ones say 5amp peak for your circuit ,they are good quality and not expensive

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.