SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These little gems arrived today
They are George Turner Models kits of the Ferrari Lancia D50 and the Talbot Lago

Goerge's castings are very fine I am looking forward to building these two.
I will keep updating with progress pics.

Cheers
David

Talbot kit

Talbot body

D50 kit

D50 body

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Mmmm.... Just thinking of a George Turner Talbot with a figure of Linda Scott at the wheel.

Enjoy the build DM. I'm quite sure they'll be every it as good as they look.

Embs

·
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Put the wheels on to check them out this morning - looking better all the time - I need to be patient with this build - if anything I rush my builds a little.

I was thinking the D50 might end up my favourite but then the bigger wheels on the Talbot look really good.

This is the livery I am aiming for on the Talbot LINK

David

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Yes; George's kits are excellent. I'm building one of his Lancia D24s at present.
The photos in the Life article are great, though there are a couple of errors in the captions. The crashed #24 car was Musso's, forced into the straw bales when Fangio spun #20 on lap 2.
Fangio launched an unusually aggressive recovery drive and hit a wall, damaging his suspension. He then took over #26 from Peter Collins and finished a close second to Moss (Vanwall). The damaged #20 was not retired; Castellotti got in and wrestled it to 4th.
In Ferrari: The Grand Prix Cars (1984), Alan Henry said two of the five cars Ferrari took to Monaco, for four drivers, still had the Lancia-style separate side-pods. Castellotti's #22, which did retire, seems to have been one of them. The other may not have been used in the race, though I'm not sure about #26.
In January all three cars taken to Argentina had the unfaired panniers, and GT's shell is modelled on one of them.
Rob J

·
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A couple of progress shots

still a few finer details to do and I need to finish off the drivers.

cheers
DM

·
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More progress

Cheers
David

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Two wonderful cars, and beautifully built, David. The Talbot driver's arms are typical - spot-on.
Looks like it's the Johnny Claes car. He was a popular figure at the time, a Belgian born in London during WWI. I remember him being known as Johnny "Klays" and much later finding that in Belgium his surname would be pronounced as "Klass". Perhaps someone can correct me on one or both.
As well as racing single-seaters, he raced and rallied sports-cars successfully, and at some stage was a jazz or dance band leader.
Rob J

·
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe I should change my tag to Dangermonkey

DM

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Beautiful cars with a lovely finish, excellent work DM. I read somewhere once, that if you gave enough monkeys enough typewriters and enough time, they would eventually type out the complete works of Shakespear, bullsh, I didn't believe a word of it, but then again, I knew nothing of these Racing Monkeys, they must be clever chaps, thier girlfriends sure are pretty. Kindest regards Jason

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Hi David,

Looks really good especially when I look at my plain resin body still in it's bag. I've got a Ferrari 246 which I won and not having got into scratch building yet I have no idea exactly what I need to get it running & I don't have boxes of spares. George Turner said he would give me the config he used when designing it but he never came back.
So, could we see the underneath and maybe details of the parts you used.

Cheers
Chris

·
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chassis is the one supplied with the kit

I have used a 15400 rpm FF50 motor and a 9 tooth pinion
the gearing at the moment is 24 tooth I think. it was a spare I had in my parts box. I am not sure what the best gearing will be, on another forum 10/24 was suggested. I used scalextric plastic bushes on the rear.

cheers
David

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Here's a GTM sports-racing car, the 1953-54 Lancia D24.
The Lancias were raced by some of the best drivers of the time, from Fangio and Ascari down, and competed for outright victories against the Ferraris, Jaguars and Aston Martins in the world sports-car championship.
George has half a dozen variations modelled on specific cars in races from the Mille Miglia and Targa Florio through the Nurburgring 1000km to the Carrera Panamerica in Mexico.
Over its life the D24 grew ever more louvres and vents, until late in the 1954 season when the engineers reworked the engine lubrication, and in the Tourist Trophy at Dundrod the bodywork was quite smooth. It was one of those cars that I wanted to model. I chose one of George's 1953 cars with few louvres, etc, and did a little filing and filling on those that weren't needed.
So, this is Piero Taruffi at the wheel of the car he shared with Fangio. The Tourist Trophy was awarded on handicap that year, to a DB Panhard, but world championship points on a scratch basis. This Lancia finished second "on the road" and another third, though Hawthorn and Trintignant won to clinch the title for Ferrari. It became the last race for the D24s.
The only work I had to do for the kit parts to fit was to make a groove for the base of the w'screen and a little notch on each side of the chassis for the mounting flange at the front of the exhaust pipes (after I took the photo below).
The base of the steering wheel fits securely into a nifty slot at the driver's knees. The clear headlight lenses fitted perfectly and I was almost sorry to have to mask them.
I didn't fully follow the recommendations for parts. I usually avoid press-on wheels but decided to try Cartrix Classics. Parts-bin components include axles, bearings and what is probably a Scalextric guide (which needed just a little modification to the guide mount). The contrate is Scalex or similar.
The specified motor is a Scalex small can. I fitted a fairly old but almost unused one. Just had to shift the pinion slightly.
I used matchsticks to help find the axle length and then cut them (the axles). At the front the wheels needed a metal washer-cum-spacer on the inside. The recommended PCS wheels probably don't.
The kits come with waterslide marque badges and race numbers for the specific car. The numbers didn't match my Dundrod car's #3 but I found some very close to the right shape on an old sheet. The registration plates are just printed on paper and glued on.
The body paint is an acrylic auto spray, colour "Monza". Application not really up to good SF standard, but I've commented on others' builds and thought I'd better show one or two of my own occasionally. I get better results with enamel sprays but the colours available to me are limited.
Fortunately, most of the Lancias' body fittings, from grille to hinges and headlight housings, were in body colour. Even the vent at the front of the bonnet fairing was now closed and red. I sprayed the underside of the chassis a dark metallic grey.
A few more things to do, such as stone chip marks on the nose and some effort on shut lines, but it's been easier than recent hybrids and reliveries.
Rob J

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Rob J - a phantastic car very well build. Thanks for sharing - not only your car but also the history.

/Holger

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
David if that is a Vanski Ff050 you have the gearing right at 9:24. IMO a 10 t will fry the motor.Depending on tyre diameter you may even want to go to a 25 crown.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts