SlotForum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I have about 13 scalextric digital easy fit plugs, 12 saloon and 1 F1, all of them are the old version and are faulty (not because of me, because of the chip design) Somtimes after crossing a lane changer, the cars completeley stop or go flat out with no control!

I have heard that you can get them swapped for the new version from hornby, so I sent them an email and they declined it, I was talking to Greg Gaub and he thinks I may have worded it wrong because alot of people he knows have one it.

All of the plugs except the f1 plug are unpackaged, I had bought them from a shop (not internet) and do not have any receipts. Greg said that that is mostly uneccessary.

So I was wanting to know what any of you had put in your email to get them swapped, if you qould be kind enough to really help me out, could you say roughly what you put in your email.

Many many many thanks!
Joe

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Hi Joe,
It sounds as though you bought either second hand DPR chips or ones that have been liberated from previously chipped cars. I would be very surprised if Scalextric would entertain replacing them and without receipts your chances are much less than zero.

The F1 chip should be OK if you have the "Ferrite-man" fitted across the pickups and similar or at least a capacitor across the motor as it is well known to be susceptible to electrical noise generated by the motor.

Rikorocket has detailed a workaround for the DPR chips which involve masking parts of the metal track at lane changers and crossovers.

·
Greg Gaub
14,651 Posts
It's too bad Scalextric can't do a recall, but I guess the chips aren't dangerous.
I also suggested that Joe might be able to find someone willing to do an InCar-Pro upgrade to his chips.
Greg's suggestion of following Riko's guide to adjust the track so reduce the problems is a good one. Thankfully his memory is better than mine.

Here's a link to that thread: http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39011

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Greg and Greg!

Greg K,
thanks for your reply, None of the chips came second hand or in a pre-chipped car, I all bought them indiviually for a club I go to that sell the old version, I bought them with out realising that they would not work properly, trouble is, I only realised that it was a faulty version of the chip after i had bought 13 of them.

So you might be thinking, why dont you just sell them back to the club and buy the new version, well, I could do that, but I dont have any packaging for them, and also, I had bought them half price, so it would be great if I could get them swapped! I do not have any receipts but because I work there, and I know every one there, I would be able to just print some off no problem, but I'm not sure that would make a difference...

Since I have already tried emailing them, the next time I try I wan't to get it right before they realise its the same person trying to get them swapped!

Thanks!

Greg G,
Thanks very much for the link to the thread, I like the idea of painting part of the lane changer, that will be really useful and I will try that out if I can't get the chips swapped!

Thanks every one!
From Joe.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Hi Joe,
All chips are static-sensitive and are always supplied in blue bags to help protect them.

The receipts will only make a difference if they show that you bought the chips from an outlet recognised by Scalextric. If you think about it, those chips must have changed hands more than once. The warranty is only given to the original purchaser and is normally non-transferable.

All the best - Greg

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Is there not a fellow in the US who converts bad chips into great ones?
I think Mr. F. knows who I am talking about.
Cheers!

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
There's about six or seven fellows here in the UK as well ....

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
also worth remembering is along with the painted isolated section on the xlc it is also good practice to keep the braids nice and tidy...

Ideally they should be nice and parallel to the guide flag and tight upto it as well..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Greg K,

I can understand what you mean why you say second hand, but I have checked on the scalextric website the the club is one of their stockists, and yes all the chips had cam in blue bags but I think I have thrown them all away along with the packaging.

Does anyone know someone who will fix the chips in the UK? That would be great but I am presuming it will cost a little, I am happy to pay a little bit if it will work!

Thanks for all the replies!
Joe

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Joe ..... PM sent.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Joe,
Is there any indication exept of somtimes after crossing a lane changer, the cars completeley stop or go flat out with no control ? Is there some kind of mark, number anything?
Your post got me woried. I have a lot of DPR chips and one car had this symptom. I would like to chack it.

Kind regards
Anthony

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi GregK
Thanks for Photo. I will check ASAP.
I hope I have kept recepts from scalextrix if I found any Rev F's. My order history on which I was counting on, dissapeared when they changed their web site !

Regards
Anthony

1 - 13 of 13 Posts