SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

While I hope to start a sort of 'project' thread in other parts of the forum at the end of the month I'm now planning my first ever Scalextric layout on a 8x4 board. My first set and various bits are coming together this week and I'll sort out a rough layout over the next few weeks and into November.

Basically I want to create a nice looking theme / scenery for my son's (read: me) Christmas present. The limitations I have is 1) cost and 2) board size and most importantly 3) the board must be able to stand against a wall in the garage when not in use.

So ignoring the problem about sticking the track to the board I'm after some basic ideas / suggestions / places to shop for things such a carpet / matt / grass stuff that would serve as a good starting point.

I would love to achieve something like this:

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...=36311&st=0

I love the concrete look and the scenery seems to be perfect for what I want given the target audience is a 4 year old, but I'm wondering how all the great crash barriers were made (the ones that don't look like standard Scalextric) and how to create the nice elevation section (is this done in MDF or just standard support bits)? Finally is there a recommended supplier or just trawl ebay? Any good books on the subject of basic scenery modelling.

I suppose I should ask if anyone has good ideas for fixing the track? So far I have the options of

1) the Scalextric track clips (I know they are bothersome with boarders) plus I don't know if the hold the track flat as such as lateral movement
2) bead / zig-zag of silicone (which I fear would ruin the carpet especially if over Christmas we want to try other layouts)
3) velcro (was mentioned elsewhere, height would be an issue might need to do some test with rolls / strips or pads)

Thanks for reading!

Adam

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hi Adam george 8x4 board if you are standing it against a wall avoid tall objects do you have a local model shop you can get to, when i built my last layout got a few good ideas from Railway modeller especially where to get lichen, grass mat from and scale buildings in kit form some in reinforced cardboard there are some plastic racing items like pits e.t.c around but on that size of board i would not put to much on there as your track will take up most of it, the thread on tracks and scenery is pretty useful Ember has put quite a bit about here scenic ideas on there and they are very good, i expect you will have to take in account extending it as once you start it will get bigger and bigger, my suggestion would be make up your mind as to the final size get the racing surface track down, i fixed mine with small screws so it did not move never used velcro but would think it would not hold the track down with use and gluing could be a pain when you want to lift the track, once the final trackwork is done then scenic the board Keith.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Adam

It looks like you have been doing your research already but let me add a couple of my favorite threads to your reading list. Flatland Raceway for storage up against a wall, in this case hinged but the issue is what height your scenery will run too and how you are going to get the board up and down. Also Monarch Street circuit for tackling the storage issue by having smaller boards that can be put under a bed.

The typical advise here is get the board(s) down and set up the track and race. Don't worry to much about fixing the track down or scenery until you are happy with the track layout, because you never know if you want to change it.

Martin

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
Hi Adam

I got back in to slots properly last year and like you did lots of research on here regarding optimising my layout.

My first piece of advice is don't worry about how to attach the track to the board for now - you are probably going to change it many times over before you settle on one design. All the links that are already in this thread are excellent but for 8'x4' it is tough to beat the thread by vecbtb. For youngsters it is best to avoid R1s as much as possible and think about restricting the voltage or throttle movement to prevent cars ending up on the floor.

Have you thought about mounting your layout on a table tennis table? At 9'x5' there is plenty of space for a choice of layouts and the whole thing tilts vertical and rolls away for storage. If you get a table that is in two separate halves rather than the Butterfly design than you have more choice as the tables can be turned sideways for 10'x4.5'. There are many designs for foldaway layouts on this site but why try and reinvent the wheel when it is available off the shelf? The boards, wood and hardware to make your own would probably set you back the £99 that Argos was selling a full size table for recently. And of course you could always use it for table tennis in the summer too.

For my friends little people I recently recommended this layout for a 9'x5' ping pong table, it is Race of Champions Paris

My project thread is here

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...t=0&start=0

You might notice I use the phrase 'final design' a lot but in reality it never even got pinned down!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the tips. Plenty of layouts for inspiration.

My target for a decent layout is Christmas. Will be restricted to 8x4 and even my version for Christmas will be stuck down (albeit temporarily) so it can be moved during the Christmas holiday. I plan to have the board painted and ready for early November which will give me 4 to 6 weeks of trying different layouts before I commit to one for a few months (happy to change it again thereafter).

There is one toy shop in Windsor that I'll pop into soon to get some ideas, will have a look around for any other places nearby.

Cheer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts