SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm not being (very) lazy in searching posts but I'm a bit lost in all the detail and just want to do a quick & dirty look change on a couple of duplicate red & yellow Scalextric Boxsters just to be able to easily identify them when racing - maybe even just a sticker on the roof? So could you point me to any beginners threads without too much on the finer points of what nozzle to use etc.

In short the questions I have now include:
Is the colour in the plastic or can it be removed easily? Can I just paint over the top of it?
What types of paint could I use?
What's the cheapest way to do it?
Could I just plonk some Decals/stickers directly on the roof or do I need to remove the "sheen"?

Sorry for these ignorant questions but I'm more into the racing/technical side than the artistic side.

Cheers
Chris

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Hi Chris,

There's a masterclass pinned in the Scratch Building forum, but the essentials are:

1) Strip as much of the paint and tampo off as possible. T-Cut can be used with vigorous elbow grease, you can soak the body overnight in isopropyl alcohol or use nail polish remover. If using the latter (there is a special type, the stuff for false nails, but check the thread), either soak the body in a bath of it for 5-10 mins or use a pad and scrub it all off. This stuff is vicious and gets the job done, but if you aren't careful it will melt the body!

2) Once you have treated the body wash and rinse it thoroughly. Let it dry then apply primer - either model primer or standard automotive paint (plastic primer).

3) Once the primer has cured you're free to paint using model paints (Tamiya, Humbrol etc.) Hobby paints (e.g. Plasti-Kote) or standard automotive paints.

4) When the paint looks how you want it to and that's cured you can add decals if you want. Decals adhere best and look 'painted on' when applied to the smoothest possible surface.

5) The final job is to protect the finish. Three options: spray it with model lacquer, spray it with automotive lacquer or dip it in Klear floor polish. I tend to use three coats of whichever finish.

You can find my latest repaint here Camaro

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (driver#8 @ 12 Jun 2011, 10:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>3) Once the primer has cured you're free to paint using model paints

Thanks that's great, just what I needed. Just a couple of questions:
- Does cured mean dried?
- Is B&Q or Boots the type of place to get isopropyl alcohol? Lastly, I assume it's not possible to use it selectively say on just the roof if it needs overnight soaking?

The Camaro's looking good - you never know I might get hooked on painting particularly now it seems you can actually print your own decals.

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
QUOTE (chris99 @ 12 Jun 2011, 11:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>- Does cured mean dried?
- Is B&Q or Boots the type of place to get isopropyl alcohol? Lastly, I assume it's not possible to use it selectively say on just the roof if it needs overnight soaking?

No, the primer will be touch-dry in a few seconds but leave it 24 hours to make sure that it's ready for topcoat. Paint on top too soon and you'll get all sorts of dimples and things.

Isopropyl is best found on your favourite auction site I think - don't use it myself as I'm too impatient!

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
When buying isoproplyn I tend to but between 10 and 25 ltrs as this works out cheapest for its quantity but I do use a lot as I do lots of cars and have various vats and ultrasonic cleaners with it in (I think I have about 30 cars stripped ready to paint at the moment, never enough hours in the day)

If you need any help, just as as there are loads of people on here that paint cars.

If you decide you would rather have someone else paint them for you have a look at the C and C designs link below.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (zendragon @ 12 Jun 2011, 23:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mate all you need are asking for is simple insulation tape of differing colours to put on the roof of the car.
Good short term solution but it'd be nice to have a smooth paint finish or maybe something can be done with plain decals - would these go on the roof directly without removing the lacquer & paint - and is the choice between just water transfers & stickers?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Transfers will go directly on the roof and will adhere well to the manufacturer's finish. Just check whether they are clear or opaque, as the car's colour will affect clear transfers, but not opaque ones. Transfers generally look better than stickers and you can seal them with clear lacquer.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Hi Chriss
I have just done two boxsters
all I done was to mask out windows lights numberplates took abit oftime
longer than the resray which was with good old halfords paint for cars
then a clear lacquer and there great dont know why scaley dont do more basic colour cars.
regards ade

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Ade,

So did you just spray directly onto to the car without any sanding or preparation other than the masking?

Cheers
Chris

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Hi Chriss
yep thats all no primer
i was supprised I have sprayed 1;1 cars before so
I know the long way round
regards ade

1 - 12 of 12 Posts