SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all

Last year I spent about 3 months modifying the Top Slot 1971 Porsche 917LH ([URL=http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49859"]]http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49859 to get round lots of niggling bodywork problems. While I was doing the research on correct body shape I slowly realized that the Fly 917LH is very nearly a very good model of the 1970 LH - but its front lights and roof height are wrong. That may sound kinda serious and it is - as many of you have pointed out previously! But it's fixable and virtually everything else is spot-on.

The second encouraging point is that you can find cheap 917LHs to start with. Luckily, Fly made an LH in their strange 'Playboy' series and you can get them for around £40 - that beats £60-80 for just the body of a Top Slot and another £30-40 for a 'slave' 917 (running gear, interior etc). So, when DJ asked me if I was thinking about doing the 1970 'Hippie' car (which many think is the Jewel in the Crown of this model) I couldn't resist. Here's the real thing …

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Hood

Here's the Playboy car

Vehicle Tire Car Hood Wheel

And here's the reworked Playboy car, with an unmodified Fly to compare it with (from my friend Alan). Took another 4 months but that's peanuts compared with some of you crazies out there!

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Vehicle Hood Car Tire Automotive design

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tail & brake light

Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive design Car

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive design

Tire Car Vehicle Automotive design Racing

Same as last time, if there's interest I'll describe how I did the main mods.

Oh yes, and I'm just finishing the 1969 LH - luckily this time the Proto Slot model is close enough! When that's done I'll post pics of the 'Three Ages of the 917LH'!

Cheers

Coides

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Excellent work. I can't believe how you reworked the front end.

·
Tom Brown (Scorpus Flex)
1,214 Posts
that relivery is a very high quailty job. great stuff

what ive noticed has changed:-

1. The side windows are bigger
2. The air vents on the side are single
3. roof lines are different
4. headlights are different
5. fuel caps facing different directions

im sure there is much more ive missed

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes - I thought about setting a quiz to see how many changes everybody could spot - here's a few more:

Side windows fitted flush with the bodywork and tinted yellow (so are the headlight covers)
Front inlets altered - wider radiator inlet and wider brake inlets
Strange little light added on the left side just behind the small Martini sign
Boot catches behind the rear wheel arches
Rear wing support strut added
Rear wheel arches re-profiled (just visible on the first pic)
Baby lights added for the numbers at the back and left side
Working head and tail lights (a bit difficult to see on these pics!)

C

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
And does the paint glow in the dark? Maybe the only thing you've missed, but understandable. Nice job.

G.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Haw haw! That's another 2 months stripping and repainting, thanks a lot!

Finished the '69 LH last night - I need a break from this car type.

Here it is with the Hippie.

Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Cheers

Coides

·
Registered
438 Posts
Coides, I loved your work. Superb. I always questioned why the big manufacturers nowadays do not reproduce the bodies correctly. If you look in the past(I mean the 60's for example), with much less resources manufacturers usually reproduced some bodies in a better way.

And oh yes! I'm interested to have details about modifications you made to the Fly body to achieve so great result

Cheers!
Ricardo Bifulco

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
QUOTE (Coides @ 18 Jun 2011, 17:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Haw haw! That's another 2 months stripping and repainting, thanks a lot!

Finished the '69 LH last night - I need a break from this car type.

Here's the three versions, 1969, 1970 and 1971 right to left.

Cheers

Coides

I WAS kidding!

G.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know, I was kidding too - and I love your work too. Are you running out of DP214s? I'm starting to think 1963.

·
Registered
104 Posts
QUOTE (Coides @ 17 Jun 2011, 22:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>---

Same as last time, if there's interest I'll describe how I did the main mods.

---

Impressive work on a wonderful car - yes, please go ahead and describe the mods - there is interest!

·
Ray
1,093 Posts
Fantastic work hope some of our manufacturers offer these up can't get enough Porsche racers.

Ray

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hi Guys

Thanks for your interest - here's how I did the headlights. After stripping the car (a few days in brake fluid plus lots of scraping) I got the basic shape by cutting, bending and filling with plasticard thus:

Amber Material property Eyewear Tints and shades Serveware

The trickiest bit was the edges shown on the last pic above - you need these for the headlight covers to sit on. The basic approach used little bits of thin plasticard and filler (Chemical Metal was best - very strong and very fine grain)

Gold Yellow Ingredient Musical instrument Liquid

The headlight holders are plastic tube.

Now we come to the headlight covers. These must be moulded and that means vacuum-forming. I had to learn this - it isn't very difficult and there's a huge amount of help available on the web. You need a mould for the covers - made from filler on a plasticard base, moulded in the headlight space - and you need to make sure you can pull it out without destroying the car! Lots of filling, sanding etc.

Liquid Cosmetics Automotive lighting Font Wood

I know this all sounds hard but it isn't - you just need a bit of time. And if you can vac-form, you can fix the crappy windows covered in polystyrene cement on your other old cars.

Now the roof - a similar story of cutting, filling sanding, repeated lots of times &#8230;..

Wood Art Sculpture Metal Rectangle

Now the side windows - these need to be extended higher and they need to be exactly flush with the surrounding bodywork. Compare the original fly injection mouldings, the Proto Slot vac-forming, the real thing and my version.

Vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

To make the window exactly flush with its surround you could do the same trick as I did for the headlight covers but I decided to cheat - I made the whole door top from one piece of clear sheet and I just painted the surround blue. This idea should work very well with almost all modern sports racing cars - which are carefully designed to be as smooth and streamlined as possible (and you could combine it with vac-forming to make almost any shape).

Here's how I did this - cutting and scraping with a scalpel, mainly, to make the door surround:

Automotive lighting Hood Wood Liquid Tints and shades

Now cut a piece of clear plastic sheet to exactly fit the door space and make a paper copy (you can scan it). Cover the whole door in Scotch 'magic' tape (that's the matt stuff you can almost see through), lay it on top of the paper copy and carefully cut along the window lines, then remove the outer part and spray the door. Then peel off the tape, clean up the paint edges with a toothpick, scribe the window openings (scalpel) onto the window glass and glue the door to the body, first at the bottom then, after it has set, bend and glue the top with super-glue

Product Azure Rectangle Yellow Font

After that's all done, I experimented with yellow colourings, using reject doors and covers. The best I came up with was the stuff you can buy in an auto store to tint real headlights on a car. It was too yellow so I diluted it with alcohol.

Product Paint Yellow Rectangle Automotive lighting

Simple eh?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts