SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
redstar
1,601 Posts
Here is a very rare and large Go Kart set by Speed Trax. These Hong Kong made Go Karts are very big. The set came with 2 trees, hay bales, barrels, banner, and a decal sheet. They are copies of the Japanese made Doyusha Go Kart which I show together with the Speed Trax one in photo # 6 and # 7. Doyusha never made a set and their model was much better made. Then in photo #8, 9, and 10 I show the Speedtrax Go Kart next to the Lincoln Go Kart and the Lincoln set. which was also made in Hong Kong. The Lincoln Go Kart is around 1/24th scale like the Scalextric and is a copy.

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,791 Posts
Excellent find Bernard, have never seen that one! They really do look like copies of the Doyusha...

That track looks very wide - what's the width and lane spacing (in inches please)? Looks like it could handle 1/24 cars.

You gotta wonder how many of these go-kart sets were actually sold... except for the Scalextric version, which does seem to have been a good seller.

Don

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,629 Posts
Wow,

Wouldn't that have been fabulous to have back in the day? Even now it looks great with the accessories. Battery power would have been a frustration of course.

Thanks for sharing this Bernard.

Leo

·
redstar
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The track is 9 inches wide ! about 3 1/2 inches between slots. It can handle 1/24th cars. I don't think that many were sold. Its a battery operated set from Hong Kong in a huge box. I have not seen another one of these sets.

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
Bernard, great pair of sets! :)

The Lincoln company of which manufacturing branch was in Hong Kong and owned by a Mr. Loh, was actually begun as a supplier of toys to Great Britain that was owned by British expats based in New Zealand who exported the toys from Kowloon to the UK, which was their largest customer... they were competing with F. Levy who distributed other plastic toys manufactured in Hong Kong by Kader, Lucky Toys and Linda toys in England under the "Clifford Series". At one time there were over 360 plastic moulding toy companies between Hong Kong and Kowloon...
Most of the plastic toys made in Hong Kong were direct copies (but rarely in the same scale) of British and American slot cars and die-cast models. But there were plenty of original models too, of which quality varied from awful to very nice.

The Doyusha go-kart was also available in kit form, but it is not the same as in the racing set, the kit has a more sophisticated running gear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts