SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep looking at this one and wondering why on Earth they bothered, with the livery, with the model in the first place. To me, this is a deeply unexciting car in a very dull set of clothes. Does it get any love? Anywhere?

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
That could be said of a lot of early 50's Ferrari's too. Plain shape and simple red colour. They have fans though!

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Thirty years from now it will be listed in the Top 10 most beautiful examples of pre Covid, post modernist, neo-cubist, pre-Rachaelite (sic), Tate-approved, Clarksonesque, automotive dreams of nightmarish Snowflakes.

Yeah no literally essentially yeah OMG...

Anyone got a travel sickbag handy?

·
Registered
626 Posts
That could be said of a lot of early 50's Ferrari's too. Plain shape and simple red colour. They have fans though!
Cierto.
Aunque no me gustan los coches de resistencia y apenas se nada de ellos, esa definición (salvo el color rojo) se puede aplicar a casi todos los coches de esa década de los 50's y no solo a Ferrari. Y como dices, todos tienen sus fans.

Certain.
Although I don't like endurance cars and I hardly know anything about them, that definition (except for the color red) can be applied to almost all the cars of that decade of the 50's and not only to Ferrari. And as you say, they all have their fans.

Frederic

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
I like the 50's shapes and think that the 300SLR Merc and the D Type Jaguar were very pretty cars, along with most Maseratis - and Ferrari's for that matter. It's just the early barchetta's (barchette?) that I find plain. Vignale was better at road car body design in retrospect IMHO.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
The Auto-Avio Ferrari 815, below. Two were built for the 1940 Mille Miglia. This is the earliest Ferrari of which I know. Accepted wisdom dictates that Enzo didn't start his own concern until 1948, of course.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
626 Posts
The Auto-Avio Ferrari 815, below. Two were built for the 1940 Mille Miglia. This is the earliest Ferrari of which I know. Accepted wisdom dictates that Enzo didn't start his own concern until 1948, of course.
Y las malas lenguas aseguran que la marca Ferrari, que en su inicio se llamaba "Auto Avio Costruzioni" nació gracias a que el Sr. Enzo Ferrari tuvo que abandonar Alfa Romeo al no poder congeniar con su ingeniero, Wifredo Ricart, que años después fue el creador de los Z102.

And gossip assures that the Ferrari brand, which was originally called "Auto Avio Costruzioni" was born thanks to the fact that Mr. Enzo Ferrari had to leave Alfa Romeo because he could not get along with his engineer, Wifredo Ricart, who years later was the creator of the Z102.

Frederic

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, that one took a detour, didn't it? I post, 'I don't like the G60' and the Werther's boys take it off back to the Fifties.🙄

I guess the Ginetta is so unassuming that's the best thing to say.🤷‍♂️

·
re member
4,131 Posts
why on Earth they bothered, with the livery, with the model
I guess it was an easy exercise to complete with a probable positive monetary return.

And yes, that was some drifting going on.

·
ParrotGod
8,225 Posts
One of the first releases, the metallic blue one, looks really nice (I have it).
But not sure what to think of the rest. It would be really nice if they would release other models to run in the same class as I think these cars should run well almost out of the box.
As for non so interesting liveries, same thing could be said for their upcoming AMG Evo 2.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I havent bought any of the Scaley Ginetas mainly because they chose boring liveries and/or the finish looks cheap(I know, they are in fact cheap), that wouldnt be problem if there were propper decals to make a decent paintjob though.

The other issue is to put a decent chasis to make them run like an Lmp, thankfully there are some 3dp chasis, but as I said, without a propper nice livery its no worth it.

Here some of the liveries that I find the most nice, but that havent been reproduced by Scaley.
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Tire Wheel
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Vehicle Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Cheers

Ps. After writing the post, I ran a search, of the Scaley models and actually found one that is the only that looks nice...
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Electric model car driver
1,414 Posts
GDSlot, isn't Wankel's clip the same one as your 3rd photo with some decals missing? looks it to me. I'm not too big on LMP's but I do like the look of the #5 blue/black livery and pretty sure someone could get one honking without a 3dp chassis and without too many aftermarket parts thrown at it. I've got a Scaley Ford DP that I sometimes use in our open LMP class and that can easily end up on the podium. The good thing might be that the matt black one isn't too popular and I'll be able to pick it up for less than normal retail price eventually.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If he visits Oxford, I will expect to see Simon wearing that feathered-cap.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I like watching LMP races but if wasn't for the people calling the races I wouldn't know what brand it was , sometimes a boring paint scheme stands out more when they all look the same!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
It filled a gap we needed an LMP car, one that the licensor wouldn't mind all different liveries appearing in. See Ginetta Racers set for instance. We had hoped for more liveries, but sadly the car wasn't as widely used as we hoped.
To be fair, its sold well, so someone likes it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
choosing a new model makers will select something with plenty of liveries so as to give the thing longevity..it’s a niche selection for sure..but then again in North America rally cars fail, down under Aussie cars sell etc…based only on look and not 1/1 class, this can run vs their Aston, Audi..

·
Registered
67 Posts
In answer to the OP, despite actually rather liking the modern LMP cars, and I do know that is a view not shared by everyone, I still have not bitten on this particular lure...

Just spent 10 minutes trying to work out why I have not gone for it and as GDSLOT mentions above there is a certain 'cheapness' to the finish (really sorry Simon...(!)). This is evident in the treatment of Scaley's cockpit window which varies greatly from the 1:1 machine. The model shows limited detailing of the forward cockpit window upright (or whatever they are called) allowing too much of the interior to be seen. That and the lack of detail on the tyres... although I appreciate there may well be licensing issues here...

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It filled a gap we needed an LMP car, one that the licensor wouldn't mind all different liveries appearing in. See Ginetta Racers set for instance. We had hoped for more liveries, but sadly the car wasn't as widely used as we hoped.
To be fair, its sold well, so someone likes it!
"...needed an LMP car."? Did you? Oh. Okay.🤔

Good that someone else has bought it, mind. Several someone elses. Enough to keep the lights on.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts