SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Al Schwartz
3,416 Posts
Another view - I do not use "superglue" to hold etched parts in place. In most instances, etched parts are details that are applied after painting. The solvent base of superglue is very aggressive and will lift, etch and/or wrinkle almost any paint.

My preferred material is a two-part epoxy marketed in the USA by Devcon. It is a quick cure (5 min.) system and, while it does not have the strength of long curing epoxies, it is still very strong. I also use this material for attaching clear plastic parts such as windscreens and headlight covers. It will not etch the plastic and since it dries clear minor mistakes are not visible.

Another advantage of this system relates to the possible need for restoration or repainting of an "experienced" car. Immersion in warm soapy water overnight will typically release the bond without damaging the part.

EM

· Al Schwartz
3,416 Posts
QUOTE (circuittaps @ 17 Jul 2012, 12:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ecurie Martini - sounds great, but....

If I search for "Devcon epoxy" multiple of hits comes up. If I add "two part" only one comes up on eBay for example. Please see

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1oz-DEVCON-Two-P...=item231c2e4aa9

Two tubes? Do I have to mix them myself? And if yes, how? 50:50 maybe.

/Holger

Looks like what I use. Yes - you mix them yourself 50:50 (but not supercritical) I squeeze out equal lengths from each tube - typically about 4mm - and mix for 30 seconds - a toothpick makes a good mixer and applicator.

Also - do not mix up the caps when replacing them on the tubes!

EM

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.