SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
John Roche
4,352 Posts
My wife, Jen, got home from a few days away with friends and asked if I got her text? I replied that I hadn't turned my phone on. It lives in the jacket I wear motorcycling in case the bike breaks down.

Cheers

John

·
John Roche
4,352 Posts
We don't do Xmas and any money we might have spent goes to a charity relevant to our lives. We hate shopping, don't have a religion and don't particularly like children. These seem to be the focus. We're retired so days off don't count. We usually go to the pub at lunchtime and for a curry after. We're doing the same this year.

Whatever you do, or don't do, enjoy it.

Cheers

John

Whoops that's not grumpy :)

·
John Roche
4,352 Posts
PLEASE, PLEASE ........ JUST MAKE HIM STOP ..........

Do you mean the person who keeps posting track plans?
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

I'm very grateful to 'Splendid' I love the nostalgia from when I first joined the hobby and all he stuff I couldn't afford and still can't. Do what I do, if it's not of interest, scroll past.

Cheers

John

·
John Roche
4,352 Posts
A difficult decision, alcohol and tobacco kill a lot of people, many more than illegal drugs for instance. Also, what right would a shop have to 'diagnose' apparent problems a customer might have?

Cheers

John

·
John Roche
4,352 Posts
Another scenario, the lady may be fighting cancer. A lot of the strong painkillers cause constipation hence the need for senna etc. It is right not to judge without knoing the facts. unfortunately too many do.

Cheers

John

·
John Roche
4,352 Posts
We just don't do Xmas. We're not religious, don't particularly like children and hate shopping, the 3 things it all seems to be about. The money we might have spent on cards & presents gets donated to charity.

As first people tried to persuade us to join in but it didn't take long for them to accept that this is what we do. We've booked in for a curry for our dinner Xmas day.

Cheerrs

John

·
John Roche
4,352 Posts
There's another universe where things go. Many years ago I was working on my motorbike when I dropped a bolt. It was a specific bolt with the thread the wrong way. I looked everywhere but never found it. When I eventually moved house I emptied the garage, there wasn't a speck of dust ............................... or a bolt.

Cheers

John

·
John Roche
4,352 Posts
I walk on the cyclepath to get my own back on cyclists who ride on the pavement.
smile.png

Seriously I have really severe arthritis in my knees and the pedestrian half near me has a really awkward camber that just puts too much strain through my knees. The pedestrian area is also between the cyclists and the road so we have faster vehicles whizzing past on bold sides. Where's the sense in that?

Cheers

John

·
John Roche
4,352 Posts
I went for my regular eye test last week. I've been going there for years and have got to know my optician well, we'd spend as much time chatting about motorbikes, he's an ex biker, and the state of the world as we did about my eyes. He has recently retired and I knew I'd miss him.

The new guy was friendly and appeared efficient until the end when we agreed I'd go for the new lenses that make a slight improvement. He assumed I would go for a new frame too and appeared disappointed when I said I'd have new lenses in my old frame. Perhaps he saw his commission disappearing but he should have told me that using my old frame was an option. I'll be going somewhere else next time but not Specsavers.

Cheers

John

·
John Roche
4,352 Posts
Warning: non grumpy post

I got a letter from the clinic about an appointment I've been waiting for. I don't have to go in, they're going to ring me and we'll discuss it all by phone. How sensible :)

Cheers

John

·
John Roche
4,352 Posts
Happily, I've never owned a TV set, and although I have access to one to watch F1, I can only imagine that it's a medium (from what I'm told) viewed by some as a 'vehicular' conduit to values they crave, namely, fortune and fame. The 'great god' TV seems to court the loud chimes of those who seek both these humbugs, and I assume these folk are the 'celebs' of whom I've never heard.

I've no idea what they contribute to the greater good, or why they're famous for being famous, but there seems to be a theme of: "Nobodies trying to be something in a nothing world."

With eight billion other folk on the planet nowadays, they must struggle from time to time.
The most important TV control is the off switch. We turn it on to watch a specific programme and off again when it's finished. If we're watching live we use the 'mute' button as soon as adverts start, it annoys me that adverts are louder than the programme so this is the only way I can fight back. Increasingly we record stuff so we can watch at a time that suits us. We can also fast forward through the adverts.

Cheers

John

1 - 20 of 70 Posts