SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 664 Posts

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
What a brilliant thread. Reminds me of a rant thread on a 1:1 car forum which, the last time I checked, ran to over 100 pages. I spent far too long reading and posting on that thread...........

There's sooooo much in life that makes me grumpy, where do I start?......................... (goes away to think of something relevant)

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
QUOTE (Grumpy Gaz @ 6 Oct 2016, 06:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My latest peeve? Self proclaimed "experts" on breakfast telly !
Sky News seem to be the worst, with strong competition coming from BBC
Today I've had to suffer the "wisdom" of a "parenting expert"
.... any bets that she has no kids?

(As good a place as any for me to pop my cherry on this thread, I suppose)

Wor Lass has a friend who works in the NHS as a health visitor. She's a 58 y-o spinster. How the chuff can she lecture new mothers on how to correctly look after their babies when she's never had one of her own??? That boils my water.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
QUOTE (Wobble @ 22 Sep 2016, 21:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>what I would like to be called, Grandad, grandpa, grandpop, Poppa and various other options, I think I'd like to be called Grumpy. I think I'd like that.
My step-son and -daughter-in-law (before they divorced......) once got to the point where they asked Wor Lass and I what we would like any "issue" to call us. WL said "NOT NANNA!" and without evening thinking about it, I said "I wanna be Grumpy, YAY!"

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
OK, here's one for today. Sponsored events for charity.

I used to do 3 or 4 sponsored bike rides (50-60 miles) a year, mainly for the British Heart Foundation. After a couple of years a lot of my friends and family started to find my regular "tapping-up" tiresome, so because I enjoyed the rides and camaraderie I used to just put in £50 or so myself.

Now, when you sign-up you have to guarantee a minimum of £150 or you can't do the event. .........And it's not just BHF, they're all at it.

My days of doing sponsored events are now over and I just donate to some carefully selected charities.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Is it just my time-of-life, or does technology (which is supposed to make life easier, right??) actually make life more complicated?

My doctors surgery now wants me to order my repeat prescriptions by leaving a message on their answering machine. The line is constantly engaged, and when I went in to the surgery I got "I'll take it this time but we prefer you to leave a message". Well, make sure the system works then!
My Bank wants me to pay-in by using a giant ATM-jobby which even accepts coins and cheques. The queue was as long at the machine as at the tills with cashiers, and in fact the cashiers are quicker than the machine.
I suppose in a minute there won't be any cashiers at all.
In Sainsbury's cafe, while Wor Lass was doing the shopping, the queue got longer and longer as 3 people all had issues with their contactless and/or 'phone payments.
What ever happened to good old cash.

Am I the only person alive who is bothered that society is losing the personal touch?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Today's StuBeeDoo grump is the lack of lane discipline on UK roads.

Discuss............

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
QUOTE (Grumpy Gaz @ 15 Dec 2016, 16:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Celebrity culture (now there's a contradiction in terms)
Why should we be bombarded with talentless, witless Z-listers every time we watch the telly, listen to the radio or read a newspaper / magazine?
With all the up-coming 'Christmas specials'
it's only going to get worse. ❗

Celebrity culture....... Don't get me started!!
I'm very choosy what I watch, and I avoid anything celebrity, or wannabe-celebrity, related like the plague.

QUOTE (gordonzz @ 15 Dec 2016, 16:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>this would be the same dross that invades living rooms across the country on a saturday night...it surely is now the worst night of the week to be sat in front of the oggle box...even with all those channels?

Saturday night TV has been poo for as long as I can remember. IMO it's just that when we only had 4 (or less) channels to choose from it was kind-of expected. You'd think that with more choice one or more of the channels could come-up with something original and appealing.

In the early '90s, Bruce Springsteen did a song called "57 Channels & Nothing On. It's truer now than it's ever been.

I have to say, though, that with all the rubbish on TV I don't feel bad spending a couple of hours an evening in the attic with my slots. Wor Lass knows I don't have the same capacity to sit & suffer that she does.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
QUOTE (gus3049 @ 15 Dec 2016, 18:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just do what I do and don't have a TV. Listen to music, read books

That's precisely what I did for 5 years in the late '80s when I lived on my own, between relationships. I sometimes think I'd have done better to have stuck to "friends with benefits" rather than get married again.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I know our beautiful English language has been continually bastardised (Americanised??) since time immemorial, but...........

Starting conversations with "So........."
Answering questions which do not require affirmative response "Yeah........"
Adding ".... like....." into the middle of sentences.
Textspeak
Jargon

........ (plus others that aren't coming to mind at the moment, the full list is loooooooong) all make me extremely grumpy.

Happy New Grumps, lads!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
QUOTE (Dopamine @ 13 Dec 2016, 19:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's just reminded me. I briefly saw a news report on TV recently which was filmed inside what looked to be a police car. Where was this car? Middle lane of 3, no traffic in lane 1. It begs the question;- who polices the police?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
QUOTE (gordonzz @ 2 Jan 2017, 16:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>........ an inability to converse without adding an "uh" , or "um , to every second or third word
Aye, that's pretty high up my list, too.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
People who venture outside of their four walls in pyjamas. Where's their self-respect?? Check this out I know it's been going on for years, but this latest report brought it back to mind.

I was once in a motorway services car park, around lunchtime in summer, when a whole family spilled out of a people-carrier wearing onesies and slippers. I was like.... "Really??"

Maybe I'm OTT, but I won't have visitors in my house if I'm not dressed. .........And I won't even go out to the garage without proper clothes on, either.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
QUOTE (StuBeeDoo @ 9 Jan 2017, 13:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I won't have visitors in my house if I'm not dressed.

QUOTE (gordonzz @ 9 Jan 2017, 15:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't own any pyjamas....

I don't own pyjamas either. I have a few dressing gowns, but if I've got one on, there's very little - if anything - underneath. I don't even like being in the shower when there are visitors.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
That ^^^ is a prime example of modern living severely pissing me off. Happens to me all the time. Yesterday it was in the Post Office. Woman at the counter, long queue behind her, says to the cashier "I can't hold two conversations at once, and this one's important!". I felt like ramming her 'phone down her throat. How rude, holding people up like that. If the call is that important that you need to give it your undivided attention, you shouldn't be in the queue until the call is finished.

On the subject of mobile devices, my love of hill-walking is diminishing rapidly because it's getting to the point where even out on the fells there are bloody ringtones blaring every few minutes.

It's safe to say that my hatred of mobile 'phones is equal to the sum of all my other dislikes.

I could rant about mobiles for hours....................

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
"It is what it is"
What a stupid statement! Twice recently I have had similar conversations with different people. They go something like this......

Me: "Can you explain, please?"
Them: "It is what it is"
Me: "Meaning.........?"
Them: "It should be self-explanatory"
Me: "Well, if it was I wouldn't ask. Are you saying you can't give me an explanation, then??"

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
QUOTE (gordonzz @ 18 Jan 2017, 09:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>that is superb...

It is.
But there's at least one missing..........

Say: "We need to talk"....... Mean: "I'm going to talk, you're going to listen"....... Understand: "Uh oooh!"

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I'm looking around for a new-to-me 1:1 car. I'm pretty focused which cars I fancy, what options and colours I'd ideally like. ....And definitely sure of the options and colours I don't like on certain of my favoured cars.

So, here's my rant for today.......... Advertisers, both trade and private who try to big-up their wares by putting in the ad:-
"The best colour" or "Best colour combo". That's your opinion, sunshine. Don't expect me to agree (I rarely do).
"Heavy on spec.". So it might be, but most of what the original owner shelled-out for doesn't interest me. So I'm unlikely to want to buy your car.
"Over £9k of options". See above. ....And it doesn't make your car worth very much more than average 2 more owners and 70k miles down the line.
"Pulls like a train". I won't be buying that one, either. You've obviously ragged it on a regular basis.
"Full service history". Unless you have invoices to back-up the stamps in the service book, I don't believe you. I'm fully aware how easy it is for sellers to buy a new service book and get it stamped.
"Looks mint on newly refurbed black rims". No, it looks like you ram-raided Halfords, actually. (In truth, if the main picture shows the black wheels I don't even read the ad.)
"Fully loaded!" Really?? .......Where's the satnav, the sunroof, the sport seats, the leather interior? This car's the bargain-basement spec. Oh! I get it.......... The engine's about to go BANG!
"We want your part-exchange". You haven't seen the car I'm running at the minute, Dude. I'd rather you knock a couple of large off the price and I'll get what I can for mine locally, thanks.
"Silky-smooth V6 engine". I hope not, it's a BMW. They don't make V6s. Won't be buying off you, then. Obviously don't know what you're selling. (........And this was a bona-fide dealer. A national chain!)
"Rare!" Really? Have you checked the website you're selling on? Every other car of that model on here has the same spec. It was the most popular option pack they sold.
"Full-on 300bhp remap". I've 2 issues with this one - Have you got a dyno print-out to back-up your quoted figure? ....And you sound like the stereotypical boy-racer. So I won't be buying your car, either.
(This one's BMW-specific) "Individual". OK, so the original owner had far more money than sense or taste. That colour combination makes me want to vomit. Hold on, did you say the original owner was colour-blind? Best of luck selling that one, Dude.

(The list is endless, and I'm bored of all this typing now. I'm off to bed.)

Come on sellers, cut the c.r.a.p. Most of the time you're just making yourself look stupid.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I had occasion to visit my local GP surgery last week. The consultation (with a 30-something female GP) necessarily included a rather "personal" examination. The conversation went a bit like this.....

GP: I'll need to do an examination that is somewhat intimate, and while I'm about it I'll also check your prostate. Is that OK with you?

Me: Not a problem at all, doctor.

GP: I'll call a chaperone, it could mean a 5 minute wait.

Me: No need to call a chaperone for me, doctor, just go for it.

But she called anyway. While we were waiting, I clicked-on that the chaperone was for her! WHAT!?!?! You have to have a chaperone to do your job?? (Plus, the chaperone looked like she was only just out of school)

........And have you read that the NHS is now telling its staff not to refer to pregnant women as "expectant mothers", because it is offensive to trans-gender people? It's something to do with gender stereotyping. Isn't the very fact that only women are capable of reproduction stereotypical? Are they telling us that the very small minority of the population who are trans-gender are allowed to dictate terms to the rest of us?

The world is getting weirder by the day.
ermm.gif

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I really feel that I am the only sane one on this planet sometimes..and that's saying something.
Sorry if this disappoints you, but there are at least 2 of us.
biggrin.png

.......And I'd like to think your mate is pulling your chain, but the way the world is these days I do have a certain amount of doubt. I'm off to Google "carpet disposal".

1 - 20 of 664 Posts