SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
QUOTE (scuderia_turini @ 1 May 2016, 15:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was going to ignore this thread but I'll just pop in this once to say that something I find annoying is the increasing amount of content on this Forum that is not related to slot-cars.

Leo

Madatory slot car content to placate the moaners: I love fettling and racing slot cars!

Rant, I hate the lying politicians who try to make political capital from everything from "should we stay or should we go" from Europe to alleged anti-sematism. Oh yeah, and people who are unable to read the rules on what is acceptable in slot car racing classes too!

I feel much better now!

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
What about the half-wits who drive those 4x4 things called, "Warrior", "Outlaw", "Barbarian" and the other similar names that they they need to try and boost their perceived masculinity and then proceed drive them like weapons to intimidate other road users!!! Morons every one of them!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Those of you who listen to Radio 2 will be well aware of the excellent services provided by the traffic team giving updates every 20 mins or so. Recently, Lyn Bowles has left Radio 2 for her own show on BBC Radio Wales, Sally Traffic seems to be on gardening leave and I'm not really sure where Bobby Prior has got to. Each of these wonderful ladies have excellent powers of diction, pronunciation and clarity, sadly, Radio 2 chiefs have now seen fit to inflict upon us one Richie Anderson. Now Richie is a very excitable chap, a bit like an over familiar puppy who hasn't quite been toilet trained. He presents his traffic reports with a great deal of enthusiasm, but he really, really gets up my nose whenever he mentions a place beginning with the letter "S". Has no one ever told that there is no "h" in Swansea or Swindon for example? Yet, this young chap insists on adding a "h" which gives us "Shwindon" and "Shwansea" and it drives me MAD!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Feeling grumpier than usual today.

I posted some motors to Australia from NZ..

Usual cost is $10.00 but today a new declaration form to be filled in and an increase to $16.00

No website update on this, no consultation or communication.

I bet the delivery time is the same and the package will get crushed the same.

Feeling bloody annoyed.
Hah! You want to try living in U.K. and buying something from the USA! We get stuffed with extortionate shipping costs, VAT, Import Duty and they actually charge you for opening your parcel to check on the contents!

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
I hated my car not having a spare tyre as I know how to change a wheel. 20 minutes getting dirty or a 1 hour wait for breakdown recovery? My car has space for a spare so I bought one and a tool kit and they reside happily under the carpet in the boot. Why build the space for a spare into the car but not put a spare there is annoying.
Totally agree, how much does a spare wheel cost? Maybe £100 - £150 tops?

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Corberi. A young hothead. I imagine everyone has seen the video footage of last Sunday's kart race during which a disgruntled competitor threw a kart bumper at another competitor whilst the race was in progress.

Fisty cuffs ensued in the paddock after the race. Jenson Button has called for the young hothead to receive a life ban.

Extraordinary behaviour, eh? I have my own views.
He has now left the sport

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/54438395

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
I mused briefly today on the happy coincidence that the verb to 'trump' has the same meaning as Trump as a noun.
Yes, why would you vote for someone whose name means an expulsion of noxious gases unless you had a particularly warped sense of humour? I always thought our cousins across the Atlantic didn't "get" irony!

Reactions: Grumpy Gaz

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Oh, we get it alright. Would it be inappropriate to suggest that we reap the "rewards" of slavery as you harvest the aftermath of colonialism in the Indian subcontinent?
Very sad, but very true and we should never forget it.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
If they can't manage it of course they don't want us doing it, most of their virus decisions seem to be 'lets see what Nicola does in Scotland and do the same a few days later'.

She may be the only female devolved leader but she has more [email protected] than the other three put together.
How very true,

However, Boris and his Clowns don't even speak to the Welsh Government! A few weeks ago, the Foreign Office decided to send asylum seekers to an army camp, Penally, near Tenby. The first the Welsh ministers knew was when local residents posted on Facebook for God's sake! The Foreign Office has since apologised, (after the asylum seekers were in situ of course), to say that "they had forgot to mention it".

For the record, I sympathise with the asylum seekers, they risk their lives to escape from whichever oppressed country that they come from simply because they want the same as any of us, a better life!

Reactions: vfr750

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Me too. But what I don't understand is why do so many travel through multiple countries known to have a far higher standard of living than that which they are fleeing, to reach the UK?
I don't understand why either, the only reason I can come up with is that nearly all the migrants, whether illegal, legal or seeking asylum speak at least some English. That appears to be the common denominator across the board.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
I don't know the reason either but the UK and USA are largely responsible for destabilising the middle east. Britain sells billions of pounds worth of weapons to Saudi knowing full well that they will be used illegally on civilian targets in Syria but don't take any responsibility for the destruction they cause. That the refugees come here is only fair, we owe them a better life.
'Tis true, and I am ashamed to admit it, but U.K. is officially the 2nd. Largest Arms Dealer/Supplier in the World. That is nothing to be proud of.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Many of us wonder the same thing. At least better than my state's Senate choices - systematically evil vs. selfishly stupid. Horrible policy vs. sex scandal. Oh, well.
Except the in UK we don't have that choice, we just have Boris and his Clowns being selfishly stupid and Boris's sex scandals. How many sprogs by how many different mothers does he really have?

By the way, to those of us who enjoy a social drink in our locals or a nice meal out in a restaurant and are now facing curfews or complete closures again, spare a thought for our poor MPs in Westminster. They can still enjoy a drink and a meal at any time as they have decided that the bar in Westminster is not a bar but a canteen. So they can still enjoy a libation or two at any time! One rule for them, etc, etc......!

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Am I the only one who is totally in awe of the ineptness of the Government that we have? A year or so ago, they were paying ferry companies huge sums because of Brexit, why they even paid a ferry company that didn't have any ships at all and then they never offered a tender to the Eurotunnel and had to pay them a massive amount of compensation. Now they are paying four ferry companies £77.6 million to make sure that the U.K. will still get medical supplies and drugs after 31st. December 2020!!! FFS!

But in true Bungling Boris and his Cabinet of Clowns fashion, it gets worse. Yes, just 2 months ago, our Government gave the go ahead for HS2 so that people can travel from Birmingham to London and London to Birmingham 15 minutes quicker. Now, there was a very quiet announcement last week to say that HS2 has been paid a further £800,000,000.00 because it is already over budget! Yes, you read that right, just 2 months into work starting HS2 is eight hundred million pounds over budget! Far be it for me to even suggest that anyone in the Cabinet has any kind of stake or investment in the project, but I fear for our children, our grand-children and our great grand-children because this incompetent bunch of fools is in the process of bankrupting this country.

And don't even get me started on having to take out additional medical cover and applying for International Driving Permits to visit Europe and the increased tariffs for goods coming into this country! Has no one else even noticed?

Reactions: Gripping Pneus

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
The shambles of a ferry company last year was even worse, h m government said they had paid due diligence, but even so were happy to award the contract to a company with no ferry experience, no ferries and the UK port they were planning to come into, wasn't deep enough to take the ferries they hadn't got.
The powers that be haven't got a clue on supply chains and how important Dover Eastern docks are.
Words fail me............ https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/dominic-cummings-wont-pay-50000-19101288

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Strictly Come Dancing is one of the reasons I have for disappearing into the attic on a evening. I refuse to be in the room when it's on. Having said that, Wor Lass says won't be watching it anymore..........
Fortunately, Mrs Longdog despises Strictly as much as I do!
thumbsup.gif

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Well, with the U.K. changing from a democracy into a Tory dictatorship, I thought I would take the time to remind you of the Golden Future in the land of milk and honey that we were promised by the Brexiteers..... https://www.snp.org/debunked-7-broken-brexit-promises/

Reactions: vfr750

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
In changing the subject, Beardy's raised an interesting point. Social class in broadcasting.

"Not what you do but the way that you do it?"

Anyone harbour views on this once-murky topic?
Personally, I like regional accents. They define us. My mother's family were all from Plymouth, my father is 91 and he is still a proud Geordie through and through and although he has lived in South Wales for almost 70 years, he hasn't lost his accent. I was born in Wales, I am Welsh and proud of it. I enjoy listening to regional accents. But...... you just knew there was going to be a but didn't you? The thing that really annoys me is mispronunciation of words and place names. Like dropping the "t" in words and Richie the Black Country traffic bloke on Radio 2, Swindon is not, repeat not pronounced Schwindon! Stafford is not pronounced Schtafford! Please Richie, don't ever lose the accent you were born with but just stop replacing S with Sch!

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Another thing I got picked-up on was not "straight-lining" roundabouts when there's no other traffic about.

Ah! Straight-lining roundabouts when there are no other vehicles around is frowned upon by the IAM, (I passed in 1983 and again in 2006, I'll tell you why someday), but is encouraged by RoSPA. Go figure as they say!

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
In an attempt to cheer up residents in Ross-on-Wye, I'm given to understand that the town's council has erected, and illuminated, a large array of Christmas lights.
Christmas? Christmas??? When did that happen?

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
I was wondering, am I alone in thinking the BBC quiz show 'Pointless Celebrities' is well named?

I have no idea who any of the celebrities are.
A sad bunch of has-beens or never-was who are desperately trying to cling on the "fame" by their fingernails. Hmmm.... that sounds like any so-called "reality TV" show!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts