SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Kitbasher
4,638 Posts
Apropos Morons with mobile phones

QUOTE I usually wait til I'm close to them and say in an alarming manner "HEADS UP!!!!!!!"

I tend to do the same but then I say BOOO loudly, it is great fun...

·
Kitbasher
4,638 Posts
no doubt our local council will use having to modify their machines as yet another excuse to raise car park charges. "out of town supermarkets are killing towns" they say....NO...greedy councils and their exorbitant parking charges are killing town centres!!!!!
Not if you live in West Oxfordshire. The District Council here does NOT CHARGE for car parking on Council run property ANYWHERE in this district, something that I am proud of as WODC District Councillor
cool.png

·
Kitbasher
4,638 Posts
Today, I offer you..........

Modern cars not having a full-sized spare wheel well. We have (at least) a couple of road trips planned for the next year or so. Now call me old-fashioned but I don't fancy being 1500 miles from home with a puncture and no spare wheel. I'd rather just change the wheel and be on my way than have to deal with getting a tyre fixed/replaced in Italian (or, worse still, French).

OK, so this grump probably isn't up to my usual standard. Mi dispiace.
sad.png
Having said <<< that, DO NOT suggest I carry the aerosol stuff!
I am the proud owner of a Mercedes Benz C Class AMG Sport, new February 2017.

It has no spare, nor room for one.

Coming home from Gatwick Airport last month after a lovely holiday at 9:30pm I hit an unsighted object in the dark at around 75MPH (honest officer) and with a loud bang the tyre deflated instantly. I drove to the hard shoulder across 4 packed lanes of traffic, it was raining lightly.

Roadside Assistance warned of a 1 hour delay. RAC man (MB Contract RAC to carry out Roadside Assistance) WITHOUT a get you home wheel/tyre they normally carry.

He calls up flatbed.

Long story short flatbed delayed, it continued to rain (harder) and we got home, via a second flatbed, at 3:30 am.

Do I wish that my shiny, lovely Merc had a spare -
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
grump.gif
my old Mercedes a relatively modest C180 CLC did have one.

Oh and the can of sticky stuff is no good if you have a 2" tear in the sidewall of your lovely fat/low profile Bridgestone Potenza!
mad.gif

·
Kitbasher
4,638 Posts
I have a Gamin that I used in my Mazda MX5, it needed new maps, £89 or buy a new Gamin with lifetime European + UK maps £99 from Halfords...

Bought the new one gave away the old.

The Gamin in my VW Up! has free map upgrades for 3 years then £???? to upgrade, same with my Mercedes, god knows how much MB will want for a map upgrade
sad.png

·
Kitbasher
4,638 Posts
I have driven too fast but 'defensively' all my life. Assuming the other guy is an idiot is a good strategy.

Wasn't it in Some mothers do 'avem that the immortal quote "but it was my right of way" was heard?
Totally agree, just assume the other guy is not only an idiot but that they will kill you given the chance and you might survive.

bye the bye what is 'too fast'? I don't understand the term...
innocent.gif

Reactions: gus3049

·
Kitbasher
4,638 Posts
I have actually driven a NASCAR ... in anger..
Yup, me too at the Richard Petty School.

Man that noise! I would love to have carried on all day but TBH my arms and neck were getting a bit of a work out after about 20 laps.

Mine was a Petty school car with a mere 635 BHP, pickup in 4th was terrific and it turned in at those speeds very tidy without any understeer but then again I was only lapping the 1 mile at 120MPH average, I hate to think what the grownups are lapping at... My tutor said that afterwards that I was getting pretty close to his tail but that he was not allowed (on my course) to let me go any quicker, a shame.

Reactions: dvd3500

·
Kitbasher
4,638 Posts
The local 'youf' have not heard of lock down or social distancing by the way they act on the other bank of the river....

And if someone told me that due to my ethnicity I would be 50% more likely to die from Covid than that old git on the balcony across the river (Me :) ) I might reconsider coming for an evening drink or swim with 10-15 others of my group...

Frankly you could not make it up.

Idiots!

Reactions: StuBeeDoo

·
Kitbasher
4,638 Posts
I sold my beloved Quad 44/405II last year.

But I downsized to Quad bookshelf speakers which I have on tall metal stands.

The results match any of my previous KEF104ab, KEF 105, AR3a, and various other Monitor type speakers.

The baby quads (Classic 11) are brilliant but I will agree for orchestral music Quad ELS are the way to go but my they hog space.

I still use a decent turntable, Moving Coil cartridge and pre-amp but I now live in a terrace and I like my neighbours so the Amplifier is a more modest Cambridge... :)

Mind you foor space grabbing my father in law (bless him now passed on) devotion to a pair of Guy R Fountain - Tannoy corner units was totally understandable.

·
Kitbasher
4,638 Posts
Personally I do find these songs offensive. They celebrate an Empire built by the misery and exploitation. Ruling the waves was on the back of crew pressed into the service. I see nothing to celebrate there. As for the national anthem, it doesn't even mention the country.

John
Sorry John, but I think that the re-invention of our past needs to stop.

I am a centre left thinker by nature but all of this stuff is making me, sadly, veer a little right.

STOP IT.

PLEASE.

What has gone before, has gone and is part of the basis of all that makes us, GREAT Britain, special.

We need to stop apologising and say to certain factions GROW UP, no country is perfect but in an assessment of good/bad overall the good old GB did good.

Baby and bathwater comes to mind.

Audio? I had a technics direct drive turntable with an SME 3009 Series 2 with a seperate silicone bath and selectable paddles and a moving coil cartridge and a separate pre-pre amp, it had Micro Seiki silicone damped feet and a special silicone filled mat especially imported from Japan.

I changed for a Technics SL10 with an ortofon cartridge that is the size of a LP sleeve and can be hung on the wall. It sounds fabulous through its built in pre-pre amp and moving coil ortofon cartridge. And I bought a decent Quad FM3 tuner with the change
smile.png

technics_sl-10_top.jpg

Now I enjoy the music without the faf.

My enjoyment of music and technology is a bit like I really love my country and refuse, REFUSE to be embarrassed by what this country did before I was born in building a commonwealth when every other country was doing the same at the time (if they could).

I will get my coat....

·
Kitbasher
4,638 Posts
No fancy pants graphic equaliser.
tongue.png
If you choose the kit right you do not NEED a Graphic Equiliser.

My Amp has tone controls but thankfully it also has a 'straight through' button that removed them from the signal path....

·
Kitbasher
4,638 Posts
Hi Peter, you and I will never agree
smile.png

I think it's these type of songs that are the reinvention of the past. The past wasn't a good place to live unless you were rich.

It amuses me that we both think we're centre left in our thinking. I guess it depends on where we start from.
smile.png

Anyway, this is a slot racing forum so this is my last word on the subject. I'll look forward to catching up with you at a track when it's safe to do so

Cheers

John
Oh I think that we could, maybe not on this. but like you I look forward to meeting, and maybe debating, sometime in the future over slotcar racing, a beer and a (vegan) curry.

cheers

Reactions: vfr750

·
Kitbasher
4,638 Posts
Kit I used to be the same but I think that I am slowly welcoming retirement, not wearing a suit, not wearing a tie, shaving probably once, twice a week maximum.

I would just give up and grow a beard but I can only go about 10 days tops before the itchy beard drives me mad...

Now if I could only give up the 2-3 zooms a week on Parish council business I might become properly retired :)

·
Kitbasher
4,638 Posts
I'm one of those people who is a natural scruff. You could take me to Saville Row and kit me out and within 30 minutes I'd look as if I'd slept in a rubbish bin.

30 odd years ago a cute young girl I worked with said "You know John you remind me of a rock star or something." When I muttered my thanks she replied "I'm not sure it's a compliment, you're like one of those people who's so rich you don't give a sh*t what you look like".

Another time a cool young dude I worked with spent all morning giving me funny looks. Eventually I said "Out with it Sam, what's up?". His reply waas "Someone told me you do modelling!".

biggrin.png
biggrin.png
biggrin.png

Cheers

John
A that tiny difference between modelling and model making....

·
Kitbasher
4,638 Posts
My uncle Bonkers always refers to him as Yackbum Grease-Fog, and usually gets a pejorative squawk from aunt Hermione for using such "foul language".
I would errr more towards Long Dog's rhyming slang for this total to$$er.

If he paid any UK tax on his £millions it might be possible to tolerate his antics...

·
Kitbasher
4,638 Posts
Mmmmm, floods.

We moved to the riverside (River Thames) just over a year ago. Water outside the house (front door separated by an access road from bank), is now over 12 foot/2.83 Metres deep.

Highest recorded is 4.20 Metres. Large storm (Bella) due to hit tonight....

But the house has never been flooded since it was built
unsure.png

These posts are normally showing about 5-8 feet above water....

Water Bird Lake Cormorant Body of water

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts