SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Mattresses and lounge sofas would be easy bout 3 years ago I had to take down a 1930s outbuilding on the site to build our new house, problem was it had corrugated asbestos sheets on the roof, phoned our local council who spend 63% of my council tax on social care not a chance private matter. Phoned the approved fully licensed contracter who wanted £400 a ton, 2 tons minimum and £90 for the disposal paperwork, all this for 6 sheets 6 foot by 3 foot, I said goodness me or word's to that effect, what do you do with it, landfill at Liverpool mate, I decided to encapsulate it in the concrete base of a garage. Difficult and expensive disposal leads to dumping which then costs council tax payers more to clean up.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
While it is technically wrong to ease off/brake for other vehicles to join a motorway or indeed any dual carriageway it does put you in control, you make the decision as they might not have bothered to look, might not have seen you, you might be in their blind spot or they may well be in an unmentionable brand of car that does actually own the road, after 18 years in industry of 40000 miles a year with only two rtcs, one my fault and one not my fault this technique worked for me, but I agree that its not what the great and good highway code says, just don't get me started on illegal reg plates dave, see you for dtm after my week at le mans.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
You want to try applying for teaching jobs and the associated enhanced crb checks, youngest son has just searched the market and applied for his first car insurance, I think he found it frustrating, recently back from French hols and the usual M25 dartford queues, still got queues but now it takes 5 mins to pay by phone, if you remember, rather than 5 seconds to throw some change into a machine basket and isn't the tunnel and Bridge paid for yet, it's called progress.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Just had three weeks hols in royan, only knew about the new reduced speed limit as I'd had an email from her majesties Rac updating French motoring law re hi vizes and twin blow into this s v p etc including the new limits, must say as we weren't in a rush we took the old road from le mans to rouen, very pleasant at 80 kph, but didn't see many locals adhering to this, the autoroutes are still full of 75,92 and 95 plate cars driving like max verstappen and wearing out left hand indicator bulbs, still the French have fewer potholes than we do.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Bought a new house in 88 and supplied the paint as the builder specced totally magnolia, peppermint lounge, pale grey kitchen, pale blue bathroom etc, the builder wanted to charge me extra as a result of having to wash out brushes and rollers so much!!!.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Self build is a good option but you are at the mercy of the council planning department, our application took seven years!!! and we had to change the style, orientation to the road and the room uses/ positions as we were told we couldn't have a chimney in the middle, it had to be on the end of the roof, also as we were in conservation area in the middle of the village, it wasn't dealt with by committee but by the chief conservation officer under delegated powers, so you were up against personal opinion. It made anything I'd ever dealt with in industry seem simple and logical.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Must preface this with the fact I am not a trucker or a stobart spotter, although back in the days of working in industry as a shopfitting and exhibitions manager I did on occasions have to drive a 7.5 tonne ford cargo box van. Teaching technology, manufacturing and engineering our nearest major manufacturer to visit for gcse and btec coursework is the big yellow digger company, there we were told all about just in time deliveries, including exhausts from India!!!! that's the reason for truck racing, I was reading the company in Eastern Europe that supplies wiring harnesses to jag/Land rover has three days notice and a 4 hour delivery window, so given that trucks have similar power outputs, payloads and drag coefficient it's probably inevitable that they have a speed differential of about 0.5 mph so while I too suffer on the A50 and A500 I understand the real reasons, god knows what it'll be like after a no deal brexit, Kent will be a truck parc, apparently the guys in today's convoys from RAF manston to Dover Port and back were paid £550 for their trouble, can we have more stories of gus drifting bedford tk trucks please.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Any accurate data on the exact rise of sea level after the wall is completed? I hear carillon were the appointed contractors so perhaps we shouldn't worry too much, mind you I could forsee problems if Northern rail were running the evacuation trains, its called progress!!! The river churnet hasn't flooded the valley since the 1950s so I'm not going to fit wet weather tyres to the cars in the loft raceway.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Didn't realise the difficulties of people in wheelchairs till my late father in law needed one, a real eye opener, it would make all of us more understanding to have to spend a day in one, but the flip side is how many times have you seen people abusing the use of a blue badge, poor spatial skills, I e bad parking is exacerbated by the size of modern vehicles whoever is driving

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
You could give some drivers a space the size of an aircraft carrier and they wouldn't be able to park properly, last Friday I called into a convenient Tesco en route from school, a latest spec cooper s 2 door had parked with the first 300 mm overhanging into the opposite space.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
As a teacher I am probably biased, but if we ie schools are judged on results/ league tables then staff spend the time maximising results by concentrating on what gets the marks and having a reasonable grasp of grandma ain't it, synthesis, blooms and higher level thinking skills is where its at, this is due to a general lack of reading, books, newspapers etc particularly by boys, a general lack of awareness of current affairs, don't watch the news sir, make a point, give an example, say why it's important, that's what gets exam marks, makes school a look better than school b, but construction and engineering btecs get rubbished and marginalised as they don't score enough brownie points, who is going the lay the chinese steel rails and test the japanese trains for hs2, it's called progress, kids today communicate in a different way and language but the exam system tests them in a way that is alien hence standards of grandma.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Number plate spin off is the Outrageous spacing, I thought when a plate was purchased part of the sale agreement was not to misrepresent the typeface and spacing, got a friend who's a traffic cop on the Staffordshire section of her majesties M6, he's told me they don't bother with this as long as the ANPR can read the plate, grr.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Back in the day of working in industry we had to build a 760m2 stand at the international spring fair at the NEC every January. I foolishly asked what the pud was in the cafe in hall 1 at lunchtime, I wouldn't wish to call it a restaurant, the nice local lady told me it was cheeeerie pie, after about thirty seconds and several repeats I worked out it was cherry pie, Brummies 1 Stokies 0.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
As a part time teacher now, finished full time two years ago, i don't have to set work anymore, wife who is head of faculty has been battling with the school system all morning in setting work,her department landed sixty new laptops in October, but as they are stored in two cabinets with built in chargers/ cables they can't be lent out to pupils as there are no chargers, as a slot club we had eight of us in a video chat using mobiles the other night no problem.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
The carry ons are a good capture of contemporary social culture, carry on at your convenience is a good example, to speed up manufacture and increase profitability, the firm, boggs brothers, fitted a mixer tap to the bidet, but job function/demarcation stepped in as to who fitted and who tightened, result another lightening strike, shades of BL and Red Robbo.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Been very quiet here in the village with Alton Towers closed, think they will reopen with limited numbers this year which helps keep them going, can't see the fireworks night going ahead though, won't be enough paying punters to make it viable. I had decided to give Le mans a miss this September, but now the ACO has halted ticket sales its confirmed that. From last years gts we would be down by 5 ford gts, 2 IMSA works 911s, 2 corvettes, was looking forward to seeing the new C8 and the factory Bmws, so overall no so disappointed.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts