SlotForum banner
3341 - 3360 of 7323 Posts

·
Kitbasher
4,638 Posts
Mmmmm, floods.

We moved to the riverside (River Thames) just over a year ago. Water outside the house (front door separated by an access road from bank), is now over 12 foot/2.83 Metres deep.

Highest recorded is 4.20 Metres. Large storm (Bella) due to hit tonight....

But the house has never been flooded since it was built
unsure.png

These posts are normally showing about 5-8 feet above water....

Water Bird Lake Cormorant Body of water

Attachments

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
the house has never been flooded since it was built
unsure.png
I don't wish to be flippant, but is that what the estate agent and/or vendor told you? ..........Or is it a known fact?

I'd love a river- or canal-side house, but only if it was well above flood level.

·
John Roche
4,352 Posts
I have 2 sheds, one with my track in and the other smaller one is my workshop where I build cars etc. I spent xmas emptying the smaller one and placing everything on top of the track as I'd been given enough 'Lino' fr the floor. You know the saying 'Don't beat yourself up", I'd just been Itrimming it round some tricky corners, leant in to better see what I was doing, and punched myself in the face.

Forehead Nose Cheek Skin Lip

Cheers,

John

PS Peter, I hope you escaped the flood?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
We've been talking about moving our living room radiator for years. It's on an internal wall, and has a sofa right in front of it.
rolleyes.gif
Every year the War Minister complains practically every day from mid-September until April about the room being cold. We recently had an ancient gas fire taken out, and due to not being able to get a gas flue down the chimney are not able to replace the fire, other than with an electric heater which the WM won't use because "the fan is too noisy".

I have a week off work in January, and am planning on having the floorboards up, removing the radiator, laying new pipework, and fitting the new radiator under the window (..... and sealing the gaps in the suspended floor where draughts get in).

Today, the War Minister declares;- "I'll have to think what I can stand in front of the new radiator to disguise it"!

I give-up.
sad.png
I just can not get her to understand that putting large items in front of radiators reduces their efficiency.

Reactions: vfr750

·
Gordon Steadman
7,020 Posts
We've been talking about moving our living room radiator for years. It's on an internal wall, and has a sofa right in front of it.
rolleyes.gif
Every year the War Minister complains practically every day from mid-September until April about the room being cold. We recently had an ancient gas fire taken out, and due to not being able to get a gas flue down the chimney are not able to replace the fire, other than with an electric heater which the WM won't use because "the fan is too noisy".

I have a week off work in January, and am planning on having the floorboards up, removing the radiator, laying new pipework, and fitting the new radiator under the window (..... and sealing the gaps in the suspended floor where draughts get in).

Today, the War Minister declares;- "I'll have to think what I can stand in front of the new radiator to disguise it"!

I give-up.
sad.png
I just can not get her to understand that putting large items in front of radiators reduces their efficiency.
Don't show her these that I did for a client
smile.png
Strangely, it didn't seem to reduce the heat output very much.

Brown Property Wood Lighting Interior design

Radiators shouldn't go under windows because it limits what you can do with the dressing thereof I.e. the curtains. That is the interior designer in me speaking and it was a mantra back in the day!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
A well designed cover like those
thumbsup.gif
will give increased convection which combats the reduction in radiated heat, but if you just put something in front of the radiator you just absorb the radiated heat without increasing the convection
mad.gif

I could never workout if radiators where put under windows to heat up the cold air coming in through the window or just because they thought nothing would be put in front of the window to block the radiator.
biggrin.png

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Radiators shouldn't go under windows because it limits what you can do with the dressing thereof I.e. the curtains. That is the interior designer in me speaking and it was a mantra back in the day!
I used to regularly stay in a hotel on Hayling Island that had very deep and thick curtains which totally covered the radiators under the windows. They got fed up with me folding the bottom of the curtains up onto the window sills to get some warmth into the room, and the manager actually mentioned it to me once. I explained the my reasoning to him, and suggested he'd have had less complaints AND have saved money by making the curtains shorter.

On my next trip there they put me in a room with shortened curtains
biggrin.png
and asked me to report on how they worked. I said it worked a treat and so they shortened all of them in the whole hotel.

A few years later, the hotel was bought by a new team, and the first thing they did was replace the short curtains with long ones!!!!
sad.png
mad.gif

·
Gordon Steadman
7,020 Posts
I used to regularly stay in a hotel on Hayling Island that had very deep and thick curtains which totally covered the radiators under the windows. They got fed up with me folding the bottom of the curtains up onto the window sills to get some warmth into the room, and the manager actually mentioned it to me once. I explained the my reasoning to him, and suggested he'd have had less complaints AND have saved money by making the curtains shorter.

On my next trip there they put me in a room with shortened curtains
biggrin.png
and asked me to report on how they worked. I said it worked a treat and so they shortened all of them in the whole hotel.

A few years later, the hotel was bought by a new team, and the first thing they did was replace the short curtains with long ones!!!!
sad.png
mad.gif
They obviously had the interior designers in
smile.png

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
A noted and most conspicuous dearth of grumpiness today, chaps. All at your tracks with Christmas slot cars?
We might be grumps but not all the time... anyway there is hope that things will improve early next year as the vaccinations are more widely distributed and I was further cheered up by this sunset over the Thames estuary on one of my walks. I love the East coast mud flats at low tide.

Cloud Water Sky Atmosphere Water resources

David

Attachments

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
We might be grumps but not all the time... anyway there is hope that things will improve early next year as the vaccinations are more widely distributed and I was further cheered up by this sunset over the Thames estuary on one of my walks. I love the East coast mud flats at low tide.
Reminds me of before-dawn starts at the Shoeburyness ETC test site. The first bit of land to the east from there was Holland!
blink.png

·
Administrator
10,536 Posts
A well designed cover like those
thumbsup.gif
will give increased convection which combats the reduction in radiated heat, but if you just put something in front of the radiator you just absorb the radiated heat without increasing the convection
mad.gif
Three forms of heat transfer, conduction, convection and radiation.

A radiated heat source is something like a three bar fire where it glows red and radiates heat

Bizarrely the things that we put in our houses that we call radiators only transfer heat by convection. So as long as air can flow and rise over the surface that is all that is required. A cover in front makes no difference to their efficiency as long as there is sufficient gap for the locally warmed air to rise.

·
Registered
15,114 Posts
Christmas carry-on at the old homestead cancelled this year due to Covid restrictions and flooding. Uncle Bonkers still sulking, therefore.

By aunt's account via the electric telephone, the old fool spent two hours in the bath yesterday. He refused to emerge until he'd finished a bottle of champagne, and his version of a double brandy, whilst also singing carols with the wrong and very rude words.

The Christmas barn party has been rescheduled. All idiots to be vaccinated first. Ah well, such is life in bucolic Herefordshire.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Hard luck John. I trust that it will heal itself without permanent damage.

I have a burn scar on the back of my hand caused by grovelling around on the floor to find a dropped slot car part, and disturbing the cable of a 45 watt soldering iron which dropped on to me. I am lucky not to be branded "Made in China".
Ah! Grasshopper

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Reminds me of before-dawn starts at the Shoeburyness ETC test site. The first bit of land to the east from there was Holland!
blink.png
Did you work there Kit. I knew someone who worked there - I think for AWRE. Back in the 1950s and 1960s I could hear frequent gunfire coming from the site and I lived about 5 miles away. That area and part of Foulness Island is still a research establishment of some sort and is still out of bounds.

The Shoeburyness garrison was sold off and you can now walk round the coast from Shoebury common to Shoebury East beach with lovely views towards the North Sea.

David

3341 - 3360 of 7323 Posts